Windows 10: My laptop shuts down when I close the lid or press the power button?

Discus and support My laptop shuts down when I close the lid or press the power button? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This problem only started around last week, but I have also had it in the past. Whenever I shut the lid of my laptop (which I have set for the laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by NishEC, Oct 18, 2017.

1. NishEC Win User

My laptop shuts down when I close the lid or press the power button?

This problem only started around last week, but I have also had it in the past.
    Whenever I shut the lid of my laptop (which I have set for the laptop to to enter sleep mode), it seems to sleep normally (i.e. the fan turns off and the power button blinks to indicate the laptop is still on). However, it actually shuts itself off.
    This also occurs if I let the computer idle until it would normally enter sleep mode, or if I press the power button (without holding it down).
    In power settings I have the laptop set to go into sleep mode when I shut the lid or tap the power button, under all battery conditions. I have tried resetting the power settings, and have already used the system file checker to check for corrupted files (of which there were none). I have also used the power troubleshooter to fix issues and nothing happened.
    I use an HP Pavilion x360 Convertible, and I run Windows 10 Home Edition (64 bit).
    Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

:)

NishEC, Oct 18, 2017

2. My laptop shuts down when i close the lid

As the title says, when I close the lid on my laptop (windows 10) it shuts down, when I try to change it in Power options, "what happens when i close the lid" I have it set on "sleep" mode, but my laptop still shuts down after i close the lid. If I for instance
    move an object on my desktop to another place on the desktop and then close my lid, when I open the lid and the computer start from the beginning the same object that I've moved will be in the same place before i moved it. What do I do?

I'm grateful for all answers, thank you and have a nice day.

DanielAndersson99, Oct 18, 2017
  3. My laptop shuts down when i close the lid

Hi,

To better assist you, we'd like to clarify the following information:

• When did you encounter this issue?
    • Did you make any changes to your computer's configuration prior to the issue?
    Let us try the methods below and observe.

First Method: Run System File Checker tool.

System File Checker is a Windows utility that allow users to scan for and restore corruptions in Windows system files. Follow these steps for instructions:

• Open Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type this sfc /scannow and hit Enter.
    Second Method: Perform Clean boot.

Clean boot process will help you determine which third party program or application causes the issue. Please check this link
    for instructions on how to perform Clean boot in Windows.

Note: After the troubleshooting, boot your computer in normal mode by checking the same link and look for
    How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting.

Keep us posted.

Antoneth Ber, Oct 18, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

In the left lower corner search type power and open power and sleep settings > on the right pane click additional power settings > choose what closing the lid does > click change settings that are currently available > uncheck turn on fast startup

post an image into the thread

reboot and evaluate sleep and hibernation

recheck fast startup

reboot and evaluate sleep and hibernation

report into the thread any changes in sleep and hibernation.

zbook, Oct 18, 2017
Thema:

1. My laptop shuts down when I close the lid or press the power button? - Similar Threads - laptop shuts down

2. laptop shuts down when i close the lid

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    laptop shuts down when i close the lid: my laptop is shutting downnot sleep when i close the lid which use to go hibernate about 3 days ago...facing this problem from 3 days.....checked with power options.....everything is fine there....plz help...
  3. Always shuts down when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Always shuts down when lid is closed: When I close my laptops lid windows will shutdown Instead of sleeping? (Windows pro N on dell latitude e6420) submitted by /u/Miner142 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lnfoq7/always_shuts_down_when_lid_is_closed/
  4. Laptop Shuts Down instead of Sleeping When I Close the Lid

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop Shuts Down instead of Sleeping When I Close the Lid: Laptop Shuts Down instead of Sleeping When I Close the Lid https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-shuts-down-instead-of-sleeping-when-i-close/af25b279-4190-4528-8f03-dd4290d6a1eb
  5. Shut Down when closing the lid

Shut Down when closing the lid: I have set my Win 10 computer's Power Options in the Control Panel to shut down when I close the lid. However I have noticed that after the screen is locked after ten minutes of no activity it does not shut down when I close the lid, it just stays in the locked screen...
  6. ThinkPad laptop shuts down when closing lid, even with the "When I close the lid setting"...

in Windows 10 Customization
    ThinkPad laptop shuts down when closing lid, even with the "When I close the lid setting"...: My work ThinkPad laptop shuts down when closing lid, even with the "When I close the lid setting" set to "Do Nothing". I am using external monitor and I want to be able to just keep the laptop lid closed. What am I doing wrong? [ATTACH]...
  7. Laptop shuts down when in hibernation or closing lid

Laptop shuts down when in hibernation or closing lid: About a week ago my laptop had a change or hard drive. When I got it back, the screen went blank after being put on sleep mode, but I still could see and use the mouse. I rolled back the display driver and now it won’t project image through hdmi, and whenever I put it on...
  8. Computer does not shut down when I press the power button

Computer does not shut down when I press the power button: Hey So I have set the options to shut down when I press the power button from power option, system settings but when I press the power button, nothing happens. Can anyone give me a solution to this?...
  9. My computer is either hibernating or shutting down when i close my lid or press the power...

My computer is either hibernating or shutting down when i close my lid or press the power...: I want my computer to go to sleep when I close the lid or press the power button. I pressed on Control Panel > searched Power Options > then "Choose what the power button does" or "Choose what closing the lid does" and it says on both options that it will sleep when I press...
  10. Computer shuts down when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer shuts down when lid is closed: My computer doesn't suspend or hibernate when I close the lid no matter which configurations I set on power options. It always shuts down the computer. If I click the power button before closing the lid, it suspends but when I close the lid he shuts down. I've tried to update...