Windows 10: My last day with Windows 10

Discus and support My last day with Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just wanted to tell you my experience with Windows 10 and why I have decided not to use it anymore. Sorry for my English. The main reason for not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tfe, Sep 8, 2017.

1. TFE
    tfe Win User

My last day with Windows 10

I just wanted to tell you my experience with Windows 10 and why I have decided not to use it anymore.

Sorry for my English.
    The main reason for not to use Windows is that I want a cumputer that I can control and I don't want a computer that controls my life. I don't want a personal spy or an unpredictable device. I don't want a device that constantly downloads/uploads unknown data.I have Windows 7 installed on my desktop and I am happy with it. I thank the God that I didn't upgrade my desktop to Windows 10. Unfortunately, I did upgrade my laptop that I use only when I travel. Since than I have only problems with my laptop:- it constantly updates, updates, updates. Updates never end. Every day updates, updates, updates that take hours. Updates are very importand but I want to decide myself when I can update my computer. Forced updates, forced restarts when I am doing something very important. Unexpected restarts.- unexpected waking up from hibernating- it's full of trash software that I can not even uninstall.- full of trash like Weather, Movies, News etc etc- full of software of unknown purpose.- it forces me to use Onedrive spying system. When I disable it, after next update I get annoying messages about Onedrive.
    - excessive bandwidth usage.- Windows asks me how I want to see their advertisments. What? Is it a joke? Advertisments in an OS that costs money?
    - it wants to control my photos. One day I was just shocked when a message appeared telling something like "we just created a new album for you...". What? What a s***? Who are you and what are you doing in my computer? Who told you to create albums for me?

And the last drop was this Thursday when I was travelling to another city.

8.00 - I wake up and turn on my laptop to see if there are updates. Of course, there are updates. My laptop starts downloading updates.
    9.00 - My laptop continues updating.
    10:00 - My laptop continues updating.
    10:30 - My laptop is updated and restarts several times.
    11:00 - My laptop is updated now and at 11:20 I have to the airport.
    11:05 - My laptop starts downloading new updates and I can not stop it.
    11:20 - I go to the airport with half updated laptop.

When I am travelling I use mobile Internet. I have a special SIM card for this purposes and an USB modem. I pay 3 EUR for 250 MB/24 hours. When I have used 250 MB. I have to pay another 3 EUR. With Windows 7 I don't use even 150 MB per day.

16:00 - In a hotel room.
    Before connecting my laptop to the mobile Internet I check all known setting to be sure that Windows updates will not start downloading huge files. I disable Antivirus updates. Then connect to the Internet and watch the traffic. Something is downloading something but not too much - 1-2 MB in 10 minutes.

I go to make a coffee. Then I return and check the bandwidth usage. Ah my God! I have downloaded more than 200 MB and this number is growing. I start killing all unknown processes but it doesn't help. 250 MB... 300 MB ... 350 MB... I disconnect from Internet and go to the control panel to check the updates section and see that Windows updates have downloaded 20% of a huge file and I have paid for it mor than 3 EUR. So, when I continue, the total cost of this update will be more than 20 EUR.

I reboot the laptop from USB drive with Linux MInt and that's all. This weekend I am going to throw away the Windows 10 completely. I like Windows but not Windows 10. It only makes my life more complicated. I am tired of visiting different forums because Windows 10 has too many problems that can not be solved by a normal user without a special knowledge.

Bye, bye Windows!

:)

2. Last day i updated windows 10 on my phone by internet. After updating window 10 on my lumia 640xl dual sim then my battery going down 100% to 75% within 1-2 Hours without use any things.

Original Title: Battery Problems

Dear Sir,

Hope you are well. I'm going to share something about my windows phone 640xl dual sim. Last day i updated windows 10 on my phone by internet. After updating window 10 on my lumia 640xl dual sim then my battery going down 100% to 75% within 1-2 Hours without
    use any things.

For Example, i charged my phone full 100% then gone to sleep after 2 hours later i saw my battery 75%.

Please share me important things so that i can save my battery before.

TowfiqRahman, Sep 8, 2017
  3. Last day i updated windows 10 on my phone by internet. After updating window 10 on my lumia 640xl dual sim then my battery going down 100% to 75% within 1-2 Hours without use any things.

Hi Towfiq,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with battery issue. I will certainly help you.

I suggest you to refer the below Microsoft article on "Lumia troubleshooting and repair" and see if this helps in resolving the issue.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10280/lumia-troubleshooting-and-repair

Note: From the above link navigate to Battery and charging
    > My battery drains out fast and try the steps.

Keep us posted with the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank you.

ThofikhAhamad, Sep 8, 2017
  4. Mooly Win User

You're English is fine *Smile

I always thought updates could be stopped by setting the PC to use a metered connection... which is really what you have.

Adverts ? Hmmm... others have occasionally mentioned this in the past but I have never seen any. Are these related to 3rd party apps I wonder.

Albums... yes Windows does that with pictures *Smile it groups them but its only your PC operating system managing them, not someone looking at them and doing it.

Mooly, Sep 8, 2017
  5. tfe, I will second Mooly.
    There is nothing wrong with your English, and there is in fact nothing wrong with Windows 10.
    In my humble opinion it's the best Windows yet, and I say that after having been through the whole suite; Win95, Win98, Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.
    You just need to take the time to get your settings sorted out.
    If you have difficulties then I'm sure there are many of us here on TenForums who would be glad to offer you advice and assistance.

Hairy Scot, Sep 8, 2017
  6. TFE
    tfe Win User
    Yes, I know about the metered connection. It's possible to activate it for wifi connections. If I use mobile Internet from a SIM card / USB Modem such an option doesn't exist. But... I am just a normal Windows user. Why I have to learn about metered connections etc? All options that should be enabled by default, are disabled in Windows. All options that should be disabled by default, are enabled in Windows. I feel that I can not have a full control over my computer and that's why I am not going to use Microsoft software anymore.

7. Try3 Win User
    tfe,

USB modems are generally displayed in Settings, Network, Ethernet as virtual Ethernet connections. You can go there then
    • click on the connection's icon just under the heading Ethernet,
    • Set as metered connection - On.

Personally, I think the lack of a Help system [such as that in Windows 7 & earlier] has caused a lot of the problem. If users cannot readily find out that something can be done & how to do it then they will continue suffering.

Denis

Try3, Sep 8, 2017
  8. My last day with Windows 10

This is the big problem with Windows, and especially Windows 10, whose settings are labyrinthine or buried in unintuitive places.

The other problem (personal opinion, of course) is that it is now geared to entertainment, toys, games, social media, rather than being an operating system to work on.

clemenzina, Sep 8, 2017
  9. Gordon7 Win User
    @tfe All your internet connections can be set as a "Metered Connection" - in that state Windows will not dl. any updates!

When metered connection is set, you will be in control of your updates and when you want to dl. it.
    You will even have to dl. definition updates to Defender, because that will all so be limited.

You can easily set Windows to never restart by it self and set a time for that, when you are not using your PC.
    In that way you can tell Windows to reboot when it fit's you, by setting a time in the night, and then make the reboot when
    you choose to dl. Windows updates and when it is installed!

And you can turn off the telemetry, if that is troubling you.
    Any operating system has to be set up the way we want it to behave. It take some time, yes - but what does not!?

Well Linux will do, I would just be missing a lot of my programs.

What is really missing in W10 is a good HELP system and a guide like the one in Windows XP, which is the
    best operating system ever made by Microsoft!

Gordon7, Sep 8, 2017
  10. Mooly Win User
    As far as I know, W10 Home and even Pro is not really aimed at the true business user. Isn't that what the Enterprise editions are for ? That gives you (or your organisation) far more control.

Mooly, Sep 9, 2017
  11. I'd downgrade my laptop to windows 7, if the drivers are even available for it...

RoasterMen, Sep 9, 2017
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

W7 still fine for Work type of applications -- I agree that W10 for business is a total joke when it comes to logging on to such systems as SAP SRM to create say business to business orders (can be very large - often in the 100,000's EUR or bigger) which are then created into Purchase Requistions, Sales orders / contracts , purchase orders etc which are executed on ERP systems and emailed to customers.

You can't sit there with broken systems when you need to process loads of this type of stuff - especially if things like if invoices for a million EUR or more have to be got out of the door quickly.

A W10 upgrade in the middle of that lot - especially when untested on your PC would definitely not make you a popular man in the organisation.

W7 is still King for those apps.

W10 is fine for home users (generally-- apart from Networking which in Windows has always been a bit of a joke - at least in my experience).

You can switch off auto updates etc. I usually run Windows 10 as a Virtual machine - any hardware I need can usually be connected to the Vm and it will work fine --even things like video capture devices providing your PC is powerful enough -- I have an i7 in my laptop with a decent SSD so response time not a problem. I very rarely need to boot into native W10.

I use Ms office daily on the Windows VM (not usually OUTLOOK, I prefer thunderbird by far but email clients are usually an individual choice). My main OS is CENTOS 7 and it has ZERO problems running W10 as a Virtual machine - and W10 seems easily the most stable Windows yet (apart from W2k3server - and that was a server so not a fair comparison).

I'd suggest run a decent Linux distro as your main OS with Windows as a VM and what programs you can't get to work on Linux run on the Windows VM.

The main thing is not to give up too easily - if W10 was as bad as you make it out to be there would have been massive complaints - especially given the fiasco over the (IMO rightly) much maligned W8 which assumed everybody (even at work) were using Mobile phone types of applications and touch screens --- anybody who even thinks of smearing fingerprints on my large monitors will know what to expect -- I'm quite a large guy !!!!!.

Also I'm not sure where you are but that sim card deal you've got sounds pretty horrendous to me too. At least look and see if there's wifi you can use instead of mobile data - could (and should) be a lot cheaper.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 9, 2017
  13. My last day with Windows 10

MS changes that since Fall Upgrade. Some updates will download regardless.

MS has decided to take a complete control from users even in Pro versions, because it knows the best.
    I am fighting with 10 to keep it under control, but with each upgrade it gets more and more difficult.

Indeed, it pushes ADs more and more, on desktop, lockscreen, explorer, even in settings now.

I will try to address some issues.

To disable ADs (run CMD as admin and copy/paste):
    Code: reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\GameBar" /v "ShowStartupPanel" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v "ShowSyncProviderNotifications" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager" /v "RotatingLockScreenEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager" /v "RotatingLockScreenOverlayEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager" /v "SubscribedContent-338388Enabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AdvertisingInfo" /v "Enabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AdvertisingInfo" /v "Enabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\AdvertisingInfo" /v "DisabledByGroupPolicy" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager" /v "SubscribedContent-338389Enabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager" /v "SubscribedContent-310093Enabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f[/quote] To Disable Auto-install subscribed/suggested apps:
    Code: reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager" /v "ContentDeliveryAllowed" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager" /v "OemPreInstalledAppsEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager" /v "PreInstalledAppsEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager" /v "PreInstalledAppsEverEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager" /v "SilentInstalledAppsEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager" /v "SoftLandingEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager" /v "SubscribedContentEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f reg delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager\SuggestedApps" /f[/quote] Disable OneDrive:
    Code: reg add "HKCR\CLSID\{018D5C66-4533-4307-9B53-224DE2ED1FE6}" /v "System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f reg add "HKCR\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{018D5C66-4533-4307-9B53-224DE2ED1FE6}" /v "System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f reg add "HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{018D5C66-4533-4307-9B53-224DE2ED1FE6}" /v "System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f reg add "HKCU\Software\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{018D5C66-4533-4307-9B53-224DE2ED1FE6}" /v "System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\OneDrive" /v "DisablePersonalSync" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\OneDrive" /v "DisableFileSync" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\OneDrive" /v "DisableFileSyncNGSC" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f reg add "HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Onedrive" /v "DisableFileSyncNGSC" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\OneDrive" /v "DisableLibrariesDefaultSaveToOneDrive" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f reg add "HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Onedrive" /v "DisableLibrariesDefaultSaveToOneDrive" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\OneDrive" /v "DisableMeteredNetworkFileSync" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f reg add "HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Onedrive" /v "DisableMeteredNetworkFileSync" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f reg delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" /v "OneDrive" /f sc config OneSyncSvc start= disabled sc config OneSyncSvc_Session1 start= disabled schtasks /Change /TN "OneDrive Standalone Update Task v2" /Disable[/quote] To uninstall all store apps (except core apps), store included (run in powershell as admin):
    Code: Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage[/quote] To uninstall all store apps (except core apps) and keep store:
    Code: Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | where-object {$_.name –notlike “*store*”} | Remove-AppxPackage[/quote] Disabling Windows Updates is particularly challenging. Typical methods, like setting a metered connection or disabling Windows Updates service, fail to work. But if you disable a service, which WU are dependant on, it fails to check for updates. The problem is, that Network List Service is required to display WiFi networks, so without it, you will not be able to connect. You need to enable it to connect, then you can disable it ASAP.

Run this, once you see a timeout window, connect to wifi or check for updates.
    When you are done, press to continue, to stop the service again.
    It is quirky, but well you can thank MS, not that it cares.
    Code: sc config netprofm start= auto net start NlaSvc timeout /t -1 sc config netprofm start= disabled net stop netprofm /y[/quote]

TairikuOkami, Sep 9, 2017
  14. cereberus Win User

cereberus, Sep 9, 2017
  15. reddice Win User
    I agree. Every business place I been too are all running Windows 7. None are running Windows 10.

reddice, Sep 9, 2017
Thema:

1. My last day with Windows 10 - Similar Threads - last

2. Been getting blue screen of death over and over for the last few days. How do i fix it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Been getting blue screen of death over and over for the last few days. How do i fix it?: I have been experiencing blue screens whenever I open games, and sometimes just when the PC turns on. Here are the DMP fileshttps://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19mB4RcgiPy_egZbf7uVKCHEA6CKCf0MX?usp=drive_linkPlease help me, I'm so stuck....
  3. Been getting blue screen of death over and over for the last few days. How do i fix it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Been getting blue screen of death over and over for the last few days. How do i fix it?: I have been experiencing blue screens whenever I open games, and sometimes just when the PC turns on. Here are the DMP fileshttps://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19mB4RcgiPy_egZbf7uVKCHEA6CKCf0MX?usp=drive_linkPlease help me, I'm so stuck....
  4. Microsoft Certification Exam : I don't have Last Name in any of my official documents. what...

Microsoft Certification Exam : I don't have Last Name in any of my official documents. what...: My name is Shraddha, I will be attending Microsoft certification exam soon, As last name is mandatory I have entered my father's name though in official ID his name is not present, will this effect me during my exam process. I tried entering _,"." , "-" and "_" in the last...
  5. Microsoft Certification Exam : I don't have Last Name in any of my official documents. what...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Certification Exam : I don't have Last Name in any of my official documents. what...: My name is Shraddha, I will be attending Microsoft certification exam soon, As last name is mandatory I have entered my father's name though in official ID his name is not present, will this effect me during my exam process. I tried entering _,"." , "-" and "_" in the last...
  6. Can't boot, not even in safe mode after last update.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't boot, not even in safe mode after last update.: After the last update I was having constant usb device errors. One was for a logitech camera but the others I believe were for a card reader installed in my case. I tried disabling the devices but I kept getting the errors. I also disabled USB root hub because I saw a...
  7. Can't boot, not even in safe mode after last update.

Can't boot, not even in safe mode after last update.: After the last update I was having constant usb device errors. One was for a logitech camera but the others I believe were for a card reader installed in my case. I tried disabling the devices but I kept getting the errors. I also disabled USB root hub because I saw a...
  8. Games tabbing out randomly while in full screen mode for about the last week or so, PLEASE HELP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Games tabbing out randomly while in full screen mode for about the last week or so, PLEASE HELP: For the last week and half, I'll be playing games like Rocket League and League of Legends and randomly about once per game, the game will tab out on its own. I've tried contacting support directly to the games, but none of their fixes worked. I saw that someone else had this...
  9. Games tabbing out randomly while in full screen mode for about the last week or so, PLEASE HELP

Games tabbing out randomly while in full screen mode for about the last week or so, PLEASE HELP: For the last week and half, I'll be playing games like Rocket League and League of Legends and randomly about once per game, the game will tab out on its own. I've tried contacting support directly to the games, but none of their fixes worked. I saw that someone else had this...
  10. Where do you see the date an app was last updated in the Microsoft Store?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where do you see the date an app was last updated in the Microsoft Store?: I would like to see the date and revision of an App in the Microsoft Store before I decide to install that application not the revision of applications that are already installed on my PC. I would have assumed that such critical information should be available in the...