Windows 10: My maddening failure to move from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro

Discus and support My maddening failure to move from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My pre-built Dell system came with Win 10 home. After my Windows exploded, I had to reinstall. Along the way I learned that I need Bitlocker. Since... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mattwarren, Mar 17, 2018.

1. My maddening failure to move from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro

My pre-built Dell system came with Win 10 home. After my Windows exploded, I had to reinstall. Along the way I learned that I need Bitlocker. Since Home doesn't include it, I purchase an OEM install of Win 10 Pro.

And that has turned out to be the most horrific experience I've had in some time. I did a straight install and, at the end booted into Windows 10 home. Then I formatted the hard drive, reinstalled with my Win 10 Pro disc (always with that disc that I just purchased) and then... boot into Win 10 home.

I cannot, for the life of me, install Win 10 Pro on my PC. Right now I am creating a Linux bootable-USB because I need some way to see if there's a hidden... something on my hard drive. This entire experience has been exhausting and frustrating and I haven't a clue what else to do.

:)

mattwarren, Mar 17, 2018
  2. S.K. LAM Win User

How to downgrade the Windows 10 Pro to Windows 10 Home (upgraded from Windows 7 Home)

It means there is no way for Win 10 Pro downgrade to Win 10 home (upgrade from Win 7 Home) unless I reinstall the win 7 home then upgrade to win 10 home?

If I do the clean install of that PC installed Win 10 Pro upgrade from Win 10 Home (upgraded from Win 7 Home) and skipped the inserting key steps then connect internet, will my PC activate automatically for Win 10 Home or Win 10 Pro?

S.K. LAM, Mar 17, 2018
  3. Can't move shortcut icons on my desktop to different locations on the desktop

I upgraded from Win 7 X 64 home to Win 10 home then upgraded to Win 10 Pro with no problems.

One thing I found that I am unable to do that I was able to do on all previous versions of Windows is reposition/move desktop icons. I can't in Win 10. The option to align the icons to a grid or auto arrange is not checked. My question is, How can I move
    the desktop icons in Windows 10??

jtpcamp---01, Mar 17, 2018
  4. simrick Win User

My maddening failure to move from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro

Hi.
    I think you just go to Settings>Activation and select Update Product Key, put in your new Pro key, and the features are unlocked.

simrick, Mar 17, 2018
  5. simrick Win User
  6. It turns out there were two recovery partitions that were withheld from me during the recurring installs. I blasted them out. Now the install is happening and I'm confident Win 10 Home won't re-emerge. Thanks.

mattwarren, Mar 17, 2018
  7. Okay, so it turns out I'm back to where I started from. I have a fresh install of Windows 10 Home and when I am prompted to enter my product key, I am told it didn't work. However, I have all the relevant cardboard and purchased this from Fry's so I know it's not some piracy thing. What's my next step?

mattwarren, Mar 17, 2018
  8. simrick Win User

I hope you're right. I've seen it happen. *Wink

simrick, Mar 17, 2018
  9. Mystere Win User
    The problem is that you have windows 10 OEM. The OEM edition is intended to either be installed on a system that does not have a key embedded in the firmware, like your system has.. or to use the embedded key if present. since your key is present, and it’s a HOME key, it uses that.

if I were you, I would instead purchase a 10 pro upgrade, and sell your full install. You cannot upgrade from home to pro with an OEM full key

Mystere, Mar 17, 2018
  10. simrick Win User
    Did you try the change product key I mentioned earlier?

simrick, Mar 17, 2018
  11. I tried that, yeah. But Oh wow. The devil's in the details. Well that was a waste of cash. Yeah, I'll have to find someone who wants this and buy a proper upgrade. Thanks Mystere.

mattwarren, Mar 17, 2018
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Just to confirm it, @Mystere was exactly correct.

NavyLCDR, Mar 17, 2018
  13. My maddening failure to move from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro

If you add a PID.txt file to the sources folder with the generic pro key, it will install Pro instead of Home. It overrides the auto OEM key detection. I've done it on my laptop that has an 8.0 Core OEM key in the BIOS. I've done this with the Media Creation tool install media and official MSDN ISO's. You may be able to just put your Pro OEM key in there. this is what I put in my PID.txt file
    [PID]
    Value=VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

I think there is an ei.cfg file that will override that too, so you actually get to choose Home Or Pro, I haven't tried that myself.

alphanumeric, Mar 19, 2018
  14. Microsoft not too long ago made a change to how you switch from one edition to another. In the past you could just enter the generic key and upgrade, then activate if required. Now I do believe it checks for a valid digital license before actually doing the edition upgrade, if you use the generic key. It wants a valid key that will activate to do the upgrade. OEM keys appear to throw a wrinkle into that.

alphanumeric, Mar 19, 2018
  15. Superfly Win User
    Nope, the install media is generic .. one can install whichever edition is included in the media purchased given the over-ride of the firmware product key as below...

Yup.

Superfly, Mar 19, 2018
Thema:

1. My maddening failure to move from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro - Similar Threads - maddening failure move

2. Upgrading from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrading from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro: I bought an upgrade from win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro in July 2020. The PC that was on has now given up the ghost and I have bought a new PC, but it came with Win 10 Home. I am trying to upgrade the new PC to Win 10 Pro, but the process goes just so far and then I get a message...
  3. Upgrading from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro: I bought an upgrade from win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro in July 2020. The PC that was on has now given up the ghost and I have bought a new PC, but it came with Win 10 Home. I am trying to upgrade the new PC to Win 10 Pro, but the process goes just so far and then I get a message...
  4. Upgrading from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro: I have replaced my old laptop with a new one.My old PC had Win 10 Pro free update from Win 7 Pro.The new one has Win 10 Home. I was advised that all I needed to do was to change the product key using the one I had for Win 7 and it would update to the Pro version. This did...
  6. Moving from Win 10 Enterprise to Win 10 Home

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving from Win 10 Enterprise to Win 10 Home: I have been asked to assist an elderly gentleman, who has been sold a computer with Windows 10 Enterprise on it. The machine, obviously, is reporting invalid licence and I need to move him to the Home version. We have a licence for the home version and I'm looking for the...
  7. Upgrade from win 10 home to win 10 pro

Upgrade from win 10 home to win 10 pro: I have win 10 home come with my pc and I wont to upgrade to win 10 pro without reinstalling the win 10 image, I search a lot for cheaper key and I can't tell if the key for a lifetime or not and some product key tell me that I can't upgrade from home to pro without...
  8. Win 10 Pro upgrade from Win 10 Home

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Pro upgrade from Win 10 Home: Just realized that I bought a Win10 Pro upgrade (from Win 10 Home) at the MS Store on 01/13/17, but never installed it! I have the order number but I don't think I ever got a Product Key. How can I install the update so I can get Pro and use Bit Locker? Thanks....
  9. upgrading from Win 10 home to Win 10 Pro

upgrading from Win 10 home to Win 10 Pro: Hi there, just bought a upgrade to PRO for my Lenovo Legion y720, purchased through Microsoft store. download and install finished without a hitch until i noticed the activate windows text appeared on my screen, then i tried to do the activate windows manually and there i...
  10. upgrading from Win 10 home to Win 10 Pro

upgrading from Win 10 home to Win 10 Pro: I am having difficulty upgrade my laptop from Win 10 home to Win 10 pro because the Win 10 home licence is a digital licence and my new Win 10 pro licence is a new Product Key licence. I have no idea that they were different. The Win 10 Pro licence is a valid genuine key but...