Windows 10: My Norton AV tells me: "dm_log_collector.exe is not safe and has been

Discus and support My Norton AV tells me: "dm_log_collector.exe is not safe and has been in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; How to Identify Source of WDF_violation in windows 10 - Howdy All! I'm still working out the kinks in Windows 10. When I needed the ability to run... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by jdUnionngarden, May 5, 2016.

1. My Norton AV tells me: "dm_log_collector.exe is not safe and has been

How to Identify Source of WDF_violation in windows 10
    -
    Howdy All!
    I'm still working out the kinks in Windows 10.
    When I needed the ability to run a Restore Point and
    followed these steps:
    Shift-Restart -> Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> System Restore
    I came up with a message that my PC had problems
    and the error was caused by "WDF_violation"
    -
    My appreciation goes out to any/all suggestions on tracking down what's causing the error and how to proceed to repair it.
    One solution I found from Google indicated it was caused by Bluetooth drivers. Since I don't have Bluetooth on my desktop PC, I'm guessing there are several possible sources.
    -
    Thanks in advance for reading and all replies!
    /jdU
    --
    Reference Bluetooth fix:
    Computer
    Manage
    Device Manager
    Bluetooth
    Uninstall (Intel Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 + HS Adapter)
    (Check) Delete the driver software for this device + OK
    Restart
    ​--

:)

jdUnionngarden, May 5, 2016

2. WIPEMFT Folder

No my question has not been answered but I also have another question.. I recently installed Norton Power eraser and it keeps deleting my Opera browser telling me that it is not safe and deleting it. Is there do you know a problem with Norton.

Thanking you in anticipation

Regards

H McCann

Harry & LynneMcCann, May 5, 2016
  3. Save File Error while playing Klondike Solitaire

I guess I should get Norton AV and then not use it to fix this on my computer.

I don't have Norton or any other aftermarket AV and I still have the problem.

SmokeyJoe85, May 5, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

My Norton AV tells me: "dm_log_collector.exe is not safe and has been

Hi, just wondering why you chose that route to try to use a restore point.
    I'd (using Cortana in Win 10 - which I don't use...!) search for restore, click Create a restore point....

Do you know you have restore points? System Restore is off by default until you enable it.

When you say 'run a restore point' - do you mean create one, or use one to restore your PC?

It could help if you can quote the exact text of the message. Thanks

Is this actually a BSOD - if so, it's important it be posted in the BSOD section so the right people see it.

dalchina, May 8, 2016
  5. Hello dalchina,
    Sorry I didn't recognize a BSOD on Win 10 at that time. Can you assist moving this post to the proper location or should I just start a new post there?
    -
    Rest of the story:
    I was well into configuring the recently upgraded Win 10 (as a local user, admin) when I saw a possibility of upgrading a small program for Win 10 when setting some default programs. That led me to MS Apps store (whatever it's called). I started doing that and MS wanted a MS account for verification. I had an outlook.com email saved for future use and decided to use it. It worked, but (you need to know) all my passwords are held by my password manager and most are 128 bit+. Very long and random and never in my memory. The next time I did a restart I was faced with a new user name and request for my password. MS/Win 10 got it from my App download.
    -
    I was locked out and didn't know F8 wouldn't get me to safe mode to restore to a point before the app download. And yes, I had restore points activated and regularly use the script Brink provided for a quick new restore point; I use it at least once every morning.
    -
    A friend I reached out to (my IT guy) explained the new Shift-Restart procedure to get me to the place I need to be for a Restore.
    And that's when I got the message that my PC had problems and the error was caused by "WDF_violation". I did not recognize it as a BSOD due to the new format of Win 10. And I didn't write down the exact wording, but recall it said my PC had problems and had to be repaired (I think) 'caused by' or 'due to' a "WDF_violation" (which I did write down exactly (though was probably "wdf_violation).
    -
    This leaves me wanting to find and correct the issue so I'll be able to use system restore should I ever need to in a similar situation on-going.

Do appreciate you reading my post and replying and send my appreciation for any assistance you can provide.

Best,
    /jdU

jdUnionngarden, May 8, 2016
  6. My Norton AV tells me: "dm_log_collector.exe is not safe and has been removed."

I'm sure it is safe, but I need a workaround to download it. e.g.: email it to me
    In the meantime, I actually posted my issue elsewhere as I didn't recognize this was a BSOD issue.

You can read it here:
    How to Identify Source of WDF_violation - windows 10
    How to Identify Source of WDF_violation - windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Complete details here:
    How to Identify Source of WDF_violation - windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

I'll stay tuned for your advice on how to proceed.
    Thanks very much,
    /jdU

jdUnionngarden, May 9, 2016
  7. essenbe Win User
    The posts from the previous thread have been moved, although they are not in order.

essenbe, May 9, 2016
  8. My Norton AV tells me: "dm_log_collector.exe is not safe and has been

Thank you essenbe,
    I don't see them in the BSOD forum.
    No need to reply if I simply need to wait. Otherwise, I am wondering where they have been move to.
    Thx!
    /jdU

9. essenbe Win User
    essenbe, May 9, 2016
  10. My dm log collector file is attached
    Thank you
    /jdU

11. lifetec Win User
    The log collecter does not contain any dumpfiles.
    Please check if your system is configured for collecting dumpfiles. (6. To have Windows Create a Small memory dump (Minidump) File on BSOD
    BSOD Minidump - Configure to Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    If you are using CCcleaner or similar Apps please uncheck deleting dumpfiles option.

But all your windows error reporting are:
    And in the eventviewer there are many notions of
    It looks like there are problems with X10net. exe/dll/service etc. on your system.

lifetec, May 9, 2016
  12. essenbe Win User
    Please look in go to uninstall a program and look for any program provided by X10 or X10nets and tell me what program it is associated with. I believe it is usually associated with some type of streaming software.

Have you configured your computer for restore points? I know you said you run Brinks file to create one, but have you turned System Restore on and configured disk space for it? This will tell you how https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

Also, make sure your system is configured to create Small Memory Dumps this will tell you how https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html You have no dump files in the DMLog.

Next please right click on the start icon and select Command prompt administrator, give admin permissions and copy/paste this into the window that opens and press enter sfc /scannow . If you decide to type it in, please notice the space between the sfc and the /. We want it to say no integrity violations were found. If it says there where corrupt files that could not be repaired, please reboot and run it again. You may have to run it 3 times with reboots in between each time.

essenbe, May 9, 2016
  13. My Norton AV tells me: "dm_log_collector.exe is not safe and has been

Hello essenbe, lifetec,
    Re: "any program provided by X10 or X10nets", it is a stand-alone legacy program providing the software interface to my home automation system. I have to run it manually when I boot my computer (I don't believe it has a registry entry, but may be wrong.) It communicates via a USB port to the hardware interface. =>I can disconnect it if required.<=

=>lifetec, The X10 Device does stop from time to time, usually during Sleep. It's been doing this in Win 7 as well. I've learned to live with this minor annoyance since it is a Win98 or XP program, but continues to be useful.
    -
    I don't use CCcleaner, but my Norton may be doing cleanups "without asking me first". (?)
    -
    Yes, my system is configured for Restore Points; currently set for Max Usage: 3.42 GB, 4% (10.00 GB) on a 250 GB SSD reserved for system and program files. FWIW: Additionally, there are two 1.00 TB (spinning) hard drives for personal data and backups. (Backups are also stored on an external, off-site drive.) And there is 16 GB RAM Memory.
    -
    Re: Memory Dumps - *Was set for "Small memory dump (256 KB)*. Is that sufficient, or should I change it to something larger? Is it strange that there are no dump files in the DMLog? Perhaps it's because the last failure/crash was several days ago. (?)
    -
    Re: sfc /scannow: First try -> "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
    -
    Being pro-active, I will shut down and unplug my X10 Interface. Re-boot, turn off Norton and run another DMLog in case that is useful to you.
    I understand we may need to wait for another crash to capture a dump.

Thank you both kindly for your detailed assistance!

Best,
    /jdU
    -

14. essenbe Win User
    Thanks for the report. Almost all of the errors I saw in your logs are the same ones @lifetec saw. The X10 had numerous errors. You can try turning it off, but it may require an uninstall, we'll wait on that. My guess is there are very few programs made for XP that run well on 10. Some do, but not many. If it had problems with 7, there is a good chance it will have issues with 10.

Also, look in C:/windows and make sure you have a folder named Minidump. On the small memory dump config page the location for small memory dumps should read %SystemRoot%\Minidump. Also, next BSOD you have it will have a countdown timer. Wait until it completes. It is gathering the info and writing it to the dump file.

essenbe, May 9, 2016
  15. Hello essenbe,
    I have no Minidump in C:\Windows

but found an empty one here:
    C:\Windows.old\Windows\Minidump

However, in System Properties (Advanced Tab) -> Startup and Recovery it does show "Small dump directory: %SystemRoot%\Minidump without giving me the parent directory details.

Am I okay, or are setting changes needed?

I've made a mental note about the countdown timer on the next BSOD.

Thanks again,
    /jdU

Thema:

My Norton AV tells me: "dm_log_collector.exe is not safe and has been

1. My Norton AV tells me: "dm_log_collector.exe is not safe and has been - Similar Threads - Norton tells dm_log_collector

2. Is it safe to renew my Norton subscription online.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it safe to renew my Norton subscription online.: Is it safe to renew Norton 360 online. Is the online Norton site genuine* Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-safe-to-renew-my-norton-subscription-online/50d0fe22-3184-4ec6-a382-9db5e2d6b613
  3. Automatisk installation av Norton Safe Web vid installation av Windows 11? korrekt länk?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatisk installation av Norton Safe Web vid installation av Windows 11? korrekt länk?: Då jag håller på och ska installera Windows 11 så kom det upp en flik i webläsaren med adressen "extension://bdaafgjhhjkdplpffldcncdignokfkbo/content/ui/formjackTour.html?tour_type=newUser" En bild visas med följande text jag skriver bara av några inledande rader:Norton Safe...
  4. Automatisk installation av Norton Safe Web vid installation av Windows 11? korrekt länk?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatisk installation av Norton Safe Web vid installation av Windows 11? korrekt länk?: Då jag håller på och ska installera Windows 11 så kom det upp en flik i webläsaren med adressen "extension://bdaafgjhhjkdplpffldcncdignokfkbo/content/ui/formjackTour.html?tour_type=newUser" En bild visas med följande text jag skriver bara av några inledande rader:Norton Safe...
  5. Windows security has been telling me that I have a trojan

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows security has been telling me that I have a trojan: I have recently encountered a problem where windows security has been telling me that I have a trojan. I have pressed take action against malware and told the security to remove the trojan. it the pops up saying that it could not remove the trojan, I then downloaded an...
  6. How To Tell If My Computer Has Been Hacked?

How To Tell If My Computer Has Been Hacked?: Hi, how do I tell if someone has hacked my computer? I noticed some of my emails had been deleted (not by me) and my internet speeds seem to have dropped a lot recently. How do I know if I've been hacked? I guess I need to change my banking password as the first step....
  7. It appears that my Windows Defender has been tampered with and Sfc scannow logs tell me...

It appears that my Windows Defender has been tampered with and Sfc scannow logs tell me...: My computer was infected by bitcoin miners and Defender was disabled and tampered with. Long story short, would "reset and keep files" completely reinstall Windows Defender and get rid of all viruses? Or do I need to format the drive and install Windows all over? Thanks....
  8. Norton safe web

Norton safe web: Norton safe web, is a good idea to install or not. I just have Norton security suite right now. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/norton-safe-web/0a56947a-70f0-46c6-b625-31af32c9011f
  9. dm_log_collector - NO FILE!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    dm_log_collector - NO FILE!: Repeated BSODs. I run dm_log_collector and after running it immediately deletes the zip file that it creates. It's not in my recycle bin either. Advice? 57893
  10. Why won't my dm_log_collector finish?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why won't my dm_log_collector finish?: Everytime I try to run the dm log collector it seems to run into an error and then stops immediately. I don't have enough time to read the error either. It used to work and now it doesn't. Can anyone propose a solution? I've attached the latest report from the log...