Windows 10: My O/S is toast. I need to copy files. Mounted HDD, but denied access

Discus and support My O/S is toast. I need to copy files. Mounted HDD, but denied access in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Yesterday I was in a good place. My computer was working fine. I received an SSD drive and I was going to install it. When I tried to use the data... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by cytherian, Jul 19, 2018.

1. cytherian Win User

My O/S is toast. I need to copy files. Mounted HDD, but denied access

Yesterday I was in a good place. My computer was working fine. I received an SSD drive and I was going to install it. When I tried to use the data transfer utility from Samsung, it failed. I tried 4 different programs, each with varying degrees of progress before failing. OK, something wrong with the drive, a bad sector in an uncommon place that won't disturb Windows 10 from running, but prevents a complete partition copy from being made.

To make a long story short, I'm now at the end of my rope. My computer won't boot up properly. Takes ages to get from one phase to the next for logging in. Errors encountered, attempts to recover fail. I need to copy data off.

So I've mounted my hard drive as an external drive and attached to my backup computer. But now, I can't get access to the user data. Even though I use the SAME USER ID. I started searching for answers... nothing straight forward. I'm not buying Easeus or some other 3rd party tool. Windows should be able to permit this. I'm having trouble right-mouse clicking on the drive to bring up properties and perhaps change user permissions.

*Confused*Shock*Zip*Rolleyes

It has been a lousy day.

:)

cytherian, Jul 19, 2018
  2. David_440 Win User

Permissions: External HDD Access Denied

Ok I managed to do both steps successfully, but this problem has returned.

I had access to the drive and while copying my files over, it eventually said the drive copying from, does not exist. When I went back to "This PC" I saw my harddrive has reverted back and since then had no access.

I have disconnected the HDD, and on occasion Windows cannot disconnect "due to being in use by other programs" , when all windows/programs relating to the harddrive is closed.

Going back to Command Prompt and re-doing these steps yields: "Error: Access denied".

Is this some kind of virus?

And will it be sorted out if I eventually format the harddrive?

David_440, Jul 19, 2018
  3. Access denied to zip file

Hi Stephanie,

The issue that you're experiencing may be due to a corrupted user profile. We have found a workaround regarding the "Access denied" error. Kindly follow the steps below.

• Press Windows key + E to open File Explorer.
    • Copy the files that you want to zip.
    • Paste it in the Downloads folder.
    • From there, zip your file. You may follow the steps provided in this
      article

Feel free to contact us if you need assistance with Windows.

Dennis Mop, Jul 19, 2018
  4. DrPepper Win User

Denied access to files

Ok I got a pc in from a friend and he wants me to fix it, it doesn't boot up properly so I was thinking reinstall windows but first I have to save all his songs and crap. First problem it denies me access to the files on his HDD when it is hooked up to my pc .... damn. Second problem is that it is a very, very old pc nforce 2 chipset and I can't ID the board so I can't get the drivers. It won't turn on so I can't check it that way any ideas.

DrPepper, Jul 19, 2018
Thema:

1. My O/S is toast. I need to copy files. Mounted HDD, but denied access - Similar Threads - toast need copy

2. Access denied on external HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access denied on external HDD: I have games and files on an external HDD with 750GB capacity. I was using it yesterday and now I try opening it and I see "access denied" before that there were corrupted files that I fixed using CMD command line chkdsk /f d: , I also did the DISM and sfc /scannow . I watch...
  3. Access denied on external HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Access denied on external HDD: I have games and files on an external HDD with 750GB capacity. I was using it yesterday and now I try opening it and I see "access denied" before that there were corrupted files that I fixed using CMD command line chkdsk /f d: , I also did the DISM and sfc /scannow . I watch...
  4. Access denied on external HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Access denied to copy 'autorun.inf' file.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Access denied to copy 'autorun.inf' file.: Hey there!! I was creating a Windows 10 Media setup, but it failed. So I downloaded Windows 10 ISO Image and extracted it with PowerISO. It worked well till here. After that, while transferring the extracted files to a USB drive, access to the 'autorun.inf' was denied. And...
  6. denied access to my files

denied access to my files: What are the crosses that deny access to my files in explorer. How do I get rid of them so that I can open my files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/denied-access-to-my-files/b9b8317e-8ffc-4602-ad09-8d464d219189
  7. access denied to external hdd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    access denied to external hdd: I have an HP desktop with a ssd for a boot drive and I have been using an external hdd as my write to drive. An update caused BSOD and I had to do a fresh install of win 10, now I get the access denied 0x80070005 code when I try to change where new content is saved. All...
  8. Access denied to entire HDD

Access denied to entire HDD: I recently reinstalled windows on a new SSD, but still have my old HDD attached for storage purposes. Once I formatted the old HDD I no longer have any permissions with it despite being the sole user and administrator on the computer. I have tried changing ownership like many...
  9. How to copy files to WindowsIcons folder? Access denied!

in Windows 10 Support
    How to copy files to WindowsIcons folder? Access denied!: I am trying to change the default icons of some Windows apps like Camera and Calculator. I found the folder where these icons are located. For instance, the Camera icons are located here. C:\Program...
  10. Copy data files from a CDROM - access denied

in Windows 10 Support
    Copy data files from a CDROM - access denied: I just upgraded to windows 10. I am trying to copy DATA files and folders from a DVD. This is not music, movies, or anything like that, these are data files I was able to access in prior versions of Windows 10 that I placed them on the DVD myself. I am told Access denied...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 access denied on mounted hdd