Windows 10: My programs (like the Photos app) are being deleted. How do I recover them?

Discus and support My programs (like the Photos app) are being deleted. How do I recover them? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, I've been using Windows 10 with little to no problems for the past few months, until recently. I noticed that when opening the default,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Emilylol, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Emilylol Win User

My programs (like the Photos app) are being deleted. How do I recover them?

Hello,

I've been using Windows 10 with little to no problems for the past few months, until recently. I noticed that when opening the default, Microsoft Photos app, it won't run. It has an error (shown below) when opening it. I looked up why, and was told to use "get-appxpackage *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | remove-appxpackage" to remove the Photos app so I could redownload it from the store. Now, around this time a few things happened

-My Movies and TV app started to not work with the same error as the Photos app, shown below
    -Apps like Spotify, which I downloaded from the Windows Store, wouldn't open too.
    -When I went into the Windows Store to redownload them, they always ended near the end with an error simply saying "Couldn't finish the download, retrying" or something generic like that, over and over.

Then, my Windows Store decided to delete itself. So now I was in big trouble. All the apps like Spotify, Photos, Movies and TV, default apps that I use on a daily basis, couldn't open with this error.

My programs (like the Photos app) are being deleted. How do I recover them? 3a16c90b-c019-4d02-94cf-b3fd1d3ff661?upload=true.png

Again, I completely removed Photos with the command, because I thought I could redownload it, but that wasn't the case. Also, I used settings to Reset the Windows Store to see if that would bring it back so I can redownload it. Now it's completely gone.

My programs (like the Photos app) are being deleted. How do I recover them? 841140d1-0ba5-43fb-aeb6-d49a03efa17a?upload=true.png
    The first icon is calender, won't run with the error above, mail doesn't run either
    The blank square app is the Windows Store, the icon is gone and I can't find it in Apps and Features

Edge still works
    Photos is nowhere if I search through the start menu, I assume if I pinned it would show like the Store icon does now.

Without reinstalling, how do I get back my Windows Store and fix it so I can redownload my apps again? Or get my apps back at all?

:)

Emilylol, Aug 2, 2018

2. Photos are opening with Paint instead of Photos app

Hello,

It's likely that your default application for opening photos is Paint. To change your default program in Windows 10 from
    Paint to the Photo app, we suggest that you perform the following steps:

• On the Start menu, select Settings.
    • Go to System, then go to Default apps.
    • Select Photos or any app that you like to be the default under
      Photo viewer.

Update us if the steps above helped you in resolving your concern.

Angela Pun, Aug 2, 2018
  3. kormath Win User
    Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done *Smile I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Aug 2, 2018
  4. itsakjt Win User

Recovering photos: Help appreciated.

Due to a camera malfunction, some photos from the memory card were deleted. My friend and me were able to recover them with help of recovery software but some photos are grayed out(50%). The memory card was left intact and no new data was written in our knowledge. It is in the FAT file format and a 4 GB card.

Is there any way to recover the photos in their original state?

itsakjt, Aug 2, 2018
Thema:

1. My programs (like the Photos app) are being deleted. How do I recover them? - Similar Threads - programs Photos app

2. i permanently deleted photos and videos from photos app of laptop, how to recover it, it is...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i permanently deleted photos and videos from photos app of laptop, how to recover it, it is...: i permanently deleted photos and videos from photos app of laptop, how to recover it, it is also not in recycle bin. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-permanently-deleted-photos-and-videos-from/73279e2a-4a55-47ab-837b-56ec948dbb0f
  3. i permanently deleted photos and videos from photos app of laptop, how to recover it, it is...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i permanently deleted photos and videos from photos app of laptop, how to recover it, it is...: i permanently deleted photos and videos from photos app of laptop, how to recover it, it is also not in recycle bin. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-permanently-deleted-photos-and-videos-from/73279e2a-4a55-47ab-837b-56ec948dbb0f
  4. How to Recover Deleted Photos

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to Recover Deleted Photos: I had my Galaxy s9 plugged into my computer to charge. I was highlighting folders and deleting them from my PC. I accidentally deleted the folder with all the photos from my phone. How do I retrieve them from my deleted folders on my PC and save back to my phone?...
  5. How to Recover Deleted Photos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Recover Deleted Photos: I had my Galaxy s9 plugged into my computer to charge. I was highlighting folders and deleting them from my PC. I accidentally deleted the folder with all the photos from my phone. How do I retrieve them from my deleted folders on my PC and save back to my phone?...
  6. How to Recover Deleted Photos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. How do I delete all of the apps like this??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I delete all of the apps like this??: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Jxck_050 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mm72k5/how_do_i_delete_all_of_the_apps_like_this/
  8. I took photos on my laptop camera and deleted them - can they be recovered?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I took photos on my laptop camera and deleted them - can they be recovered?: As the title says, I took photos on my camera and deleted them. They don’t appear in my recycling bin. Can I recover them ? submitted by /u/sergiopizzornoshair [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kntzgh/i_took_photos_on_my_laptop_camera_and_deleted/
  9. How can I recover deleted photos?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How can I recover deleted photos?: I don't know if anybody can help. I'm trying to find a certain photo I deleted without noticing. I've looked everywhere on my PC. It was a photo a friend took. I had saved it on my phone, but deleted it, and I have a new phone and can't recover on my old one. Is...
  10. Downloaded photos disappeared in Windows 10. How do I recover them?

in Windows 10 Support
    Downloaded photos disappeared in Windows 10. How do I recover them?: I had downloaded some photos from Facebook in Windows 10, either in Chrome or Edge in the past three days. However, they are not listed in the download history, and are not in the download directory. I find that odd. However, I did know that Windows had shutdown upon...