Windows 10: My screen is Black

Discus and support My screen is Black in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I have a problem... 1) my laptop runs windows 10 and has a broken screen so it's been running through HDMI too my TV 2) it sometimes just freezes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Cashkiwi, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Cashkiwi Win User

My screen is Black

So I have a problem...
    1) my laptop runs windows 10 and has a broken screen so it's been running through HDMI too my TV
    2) it sometimes just freezes for no reason and I can't do nothing but restart
    3) Now when I restart it restarts to a blank login screen and the mouse comes us. Wish I could post a pic but I can't.

:)

Cashkiwi, Aug 10, 2017
  2. Erson Mag Win User

My screen is black

Hi Albert,

To resolve this issue, try to click this
    link
    to troubleshoot black screen in Windows 10.

Update us on the results.

Erson Mag, Aug 10, 2017
  3. My screen is black

My screen is black and I see only this remark, D:\windows \run. vbs code 80020009 source Wshzhell. Run, can someone help me out with that problem

albertvanraes, Aug 10, 2017
  4. My screen is Black

Hi Cashkiwi. Welcome to the TenForums @Cashkiwi

When it boots to the Black screen does anything happen if you press Windows Key + P ?

Can you emulate signing in, that is press space bar, enter password, press enter.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Aug 10, 2017
  5. 1. Keep Holding the Power Button
    Shut down your PC. Remove the battery, press and hold the power button for 60 seconds. Put the battery back in and start your PC again.

2.Disable Fast Startup
    Follow these steps:
    1. Press Control Panel in search box at the bottom corner of the desktop and click Control Panel in pop-up menu.
    2. View by “Small icons” and click Power Options.
    3. Click Choose what the power button does in left pane.
    4. Click Change settings that are currently unavailable.
    5. Under “Shutdown settings”, uncheck the box next to Turn on fast startup (recommended) then click Save changes button.

3. Disable Integrated Graphics Card
    1. Press Win+R (Windows logo key and R key) at the same time. A Run dialog box will open.
    2. Type devmgmt.msc in the run box and click OK button.
    3. Under “Display adapters”, you will see more than one graphics card there. Right-click on the integrated graphics card (usually an Intel or AMD graphics card) . Click Disable on the context menu to disable the card.
    4. Restart your PC.

4. Update Graphics Drivers

5. Reset your PC
    1. Type settings in the search box at the bottom left corner of the desktop, then a menu with the search results will pop up. Click Settings in the menu.
    2. Click Update & security.
    3. Select Recovery in left pane.
    4. Under Reset this PC, click Get started. Then follow the on-screen instructions to reset your PC.

robertosburn, Aug 10, 2017
  6. Cashkiwi Win User
    Yeah I tried that didn't work. Tried emulating and didnt work

Cashkiwi, Aug 11, 2017
  7. Cashkiwi Win User
    I can only do the first option. I tried it and it does the same thing.
    a loading circle. It's done the same thing twice now. After working again yesterday afternoon and this morning. It took around 20mins of waiting for the login screen to come up. This was after doing the windows update two days ago.

Do do you think I should just hit the windows recovery up when I get a chance too?

Cashkiwi, Aug 11, 2017
  8. Cashkiwi Win User

My screen is Black

At the moment it won't even go properly into System restore after the three hard resets

Cashkiwi, Aug 11, 2017
  9. Windows has probably updated graphic driver and switched your primary display back to laptop's screen.

Re-apply settings and also disable laptop's screen in device manager.

You can also try to pull out and then plug in HDMI cable back, when it happens again.

TairikuOkami, Aug 11, 2017
  10. Cashkiwi Win User
    it still won't go. The 1-3 times When I do get in, it is really slow or freeze everything aside from the cursor moves.

Cashkiwi, Aug 11, 2017
  11. Cashkiwi Win User
    And it's not that the defaults have changed

Cashkiwi, Aug 11, 2017
  12. My recommendation would be to get your data off device, which may mean removing drive from laptop. Sounds like things are getting worse.

Hard to say whether your device is failing on hardware or software or a combination. If you can get back in type reliability history in Cortana, click the app and see what additional information Windows may be providing.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Aug 11, 2017
  13. Cashkiwi Win User

My screen is Black

So I can login now it just takes a little longer than normal. I might try a fresh install. But not too sure if I should

Cashkiwi, Aug 11, 2017
  14. Not saying this is the issue but do you have a good connection to Internet?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Aug 11, 2017
  15. merkxr Win User
    Since you are now able to log in I would go ahead and back up your data and do a fresh install. Keep in mind you will need to re-install any programs you currently have installed as well. One other thing you could try before doing this is check the health of your HDD. If it tests fine then go ahead with the clean install. If it's starting to fail, or in a caution state, I would replace it then install Windows. Just my thoughts here.

merkxr, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

My screen is Black

1. My screen is Black - Similar Threads - screen Black

2. Is there an update on laptop going to black screen after login page?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there an update on laptop going to black screen after login page?: Since the past two weeks, we saw that users from our organization is getting black screen with cursor after some windows updates. They get to login screen, put in their credentials and then get to black screen. Tried system restore, uninstall latest updates and then had to...
  3. Is there an update on laptop going to black screen after login page?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there an update on laptop going to black screen after login page?: Since the past two weeks, we saw that users from our organization is getting black screen with cursor after some windows updates. They get to login screen, put in their credentials and then get to black screen. Tried system restore, uninstall latest updates and then had to...
  4. Is there an update on laptop going to black screen after login page?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. During online streaming movies- Black screen-No Video, Only Audio

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    During online streaming movies- Black screen-No Video, Only Audio: Sir, my hp desktop PC is having -- windows10, Firefox, connect cable Broadband with 100mbps speed, Ethernet, periodically updated. I am very much fond of watching English/Foreign language movies having English CC/Subtitles, online streaming, generally on paid channels e.g....
  6. During online streaming movies- Black screen-No Video, Only Audio

in Windows 10 Gaming
    During online streaming movies- Black screen-No Video, Only Audio: Sir, my hp desktop PC is having -- windows10, Firefox, connect cable Broadband with 100mbps speed, Ethernet, periodically updated. I am very much fond of watching English/Foreign language movies having English CC/Subtitles, online streaming, generally on paid channels e.g....
  7. During online streaming movies- Black screen-No Video, Only Audio

8. Why can't I download/install, and my screen turns black after login. ERROR CODE 0x80070005.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I download/install, and my screen turns black after login. ERROR CODE 0x80070005.: One day my system decided to look normal, login screen was great, until it wasn't. It goes black... after I login, I don't know if I'm effecting the eventual operation of it by my LOGO+CTL+SHIFT+B, but it does turn the display on after 30-45 minutes. The other stuff...I don't...
  9. Why can't I download/install, and my screen turns black after login. ERROR CODE 0x80070005.

Why can't I download/install, and my screen turns black after login. ERROR CODE 0x80070005.: One day my system decided to look normal, login screen was great, until it wasn't. It goes black... after I login, I don't know if I'm effecting the eventual operation of it by my LOGO+CTL+SHIFT+B, but it does turn the display on after 30-45 minutes. The other stuff...I don't...
  10. Second screen went black

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Second screen went black: I have been using the same monitor for the past 9 years, with the same laptop for the past 5. Never had any issue with it but today when I plug it in HDMI, the laptop detects it but the screen is black. I tested it with 2 other laptops, worked well. I also tested another HDMI...