Windows 10: My SDD "might crash at any moment" - help!

Discus and support My SDD "might crash at any moment" - help! in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello My PC seems to be working fine, except that when I reboot it I am getting a dire error message on the American Megatrends AMIBIOS screen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ship69, Mar 7, 2018.

1. ship69 Win User

My SDD "might crash at any moment" - help!

Hello

My PC seems to be working fine, except that when I reboot it I am getting a dire error message on the American Megatrends AMIBIOS screen

"WARNING! Please back up your data and replace your hard disk drive."
    "WARNING! Your HDD/SDD might crash at any moment."

If I press any key, it then goes into a loop with the same error message appear, UNLESS I turn the power off completely. If I do that then it boots normally.

How worried should I be?
    I mean the PC itself seem to be running just fine...

J

PS Here is some more about my system

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K Kaby Lake CPU, 4 Cores, 3.8-4.0GHz (slightly over-clocked) - SKU CM8067702868219SMotherboard: Asus PRIME Z270-A Motherboard (Rev 1.02 / "PCIEX16 2" / 32Gb/s M.2 X4 - SKU PRIME Z270-ARAM: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Memory (2 x 8GB Sticks) - CORSAIR - SKU 16GBDDR42133MHZ2X8Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB Graphics Card - SKU NVIDIAGTX10603GBDrive: 512GB Samsung SM961 M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive - SKU MZVKW512HMJP-00000 Model: MZ- VKW5120 "MSIP-REM-SEC-MZ-VKW1T00" "1644 REV 0 SM961 F/W CA7300Q 2016.10"O/S: Windows 10 Pro (x64)Power supply: Corsair RM650X 80 PLUS Gold 650W PSU - SKU CP-9020091-UKCase: Chillblast Silent Gaming PC Case - Black - SKU GMXCSSILENTCPU Cooker: Gelid Tranquillo Rev.4 CPU Cooler - SKU Tranquillo-Rev4Thermal Paste: Standard

My SDD "might crash at any moment" - help! [​IMG]

:)

ship69, Mar 7, 2018

2. Please help me... " Nokia n97 "

Every single number.. No i've tested in on my mothers phone and her ID isn't set on private but still doesn't show. When i miss the call it automatically sends me a message saying who called, well if there number isn't on private.

hamburglar1, Mar 7, 2018
  3. Please help me... " Nokia n97 "

I've had this problem since ever... Whenever i recieve a call it doesn't show the caller. All it says is " Call ". Please someone help me get rid of this ! My settings are set as " Say caller's name; - On "

hamburglar1, Mar 7, 2018
  4. spunk Win User

This is a SMART error that predicts when your HDD may start to fail. So do what it says, backup any files you want to keep to an external HDD and replace your HDD/SSD ASAP.

spunk, Mar 7, 2018
  5. Yes, as mentioned, save your data and also create a system image backup immediately. Even though the computer seems to be running fine, it isn't: having to turn off the power and then start up again as a habit is "pushing the button for imminent, possibly instant failure".

I noticed you have a Kaby Lake CPU. I'm not familiar on when they came out but if you bought the computer less than a year ago or the SSD is less than a year old, it might be replaceable for free.

MeAndMyComputer, Mar 7, 2018
  6. ship69 Win User
    Thanks, yes I've been backing up. And I did a Macrium Reflect copy ("image"?) of the hard disk onto an external hard disk.
    The PC is still under warranty, but it would mean losing the thing for about 5 or 10 days or similar.

But is there going to be no way to repair the SSD? I do find it odd that the thing can be literally about to crumble and yet everything seems to still be working okay even if it isn't. It must have amazing built-in redundancy or error correcting something...

PS What will have caused it to start to fail? Could some sort of malware/virus cause this sort of thing.
    Also if I copy my data now how likely is it that some of my data will already be corrupted?

ship69, Mar 8, 2018
  7. spunk Win User
    You or Your PC specs don't mention it, but do you have an Internal Mechanical HDD as well as an SSD? If so, this may be the drive that is failing. One way to find out is to disconnect the HDD and start the computer up, if you don't get that error, then that is the drive with the problem.
    You then can run Diagnostics on the drive using the manufacturers tools which I have links to in my signature.

spunk, Mar 8, 2018
  8. My SDD "might crash at any moment" - help!

"What will have caused it to start to fail?" I'm not really a hardware person unless what needs to be done is pretty simple. Your computer specs look overwhelming to me but maybe the issue with your particular SSD is in this benchmark report.
    http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTe...MSUNG-MZVKW512
    Although It reports Outstanding average bench there is Terrible consistency under varying real world conditions.

MeAndMyComputer, Mar 8, 2018
  9. CountMike New Member
    S.M.A.R.T. is built in all HDDs and SSDs, the BIOS is just reading from it. If you want to make sure about HDD/SSD health, it would be better to use a program for further analysis, like Hard Disk Sentinel Download Hard Disk Sentinel for instance. S.M.A.R.T. has some detailed parameters but also some estimates like for disk like left on the basis of time a disk worked. That doesn't necessarily mean that anything is wrong with it.

CountMike, Mar 8, 2018
  10. Those are excellent comments and recommendation.

I just noticed the AMIBIOS screen includes "Detected ATA/ATAPI devices"
    --- I checked IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers in Device Manager on my computer that I use an SSD on
    --- @ship69, It might also be a good idea to check your system and see if there are any warning flags

I also checked my SSD's properties and it optimizes itself automatically on a weekly basis: see if yours does the same.

MeAndMyComputer, Mar 8, 2018
  11. ship69 Win User
    For completeness...

Yes, Hard Disk Sentinel said I had "50% errors" or similar.
    I have now sent the PC back to the suppliers who cloned the entire disk onto a new SSD.
    Thanks for your help, folks

J

ship69, Mar 27, 2018
  12. Thanks for letting us know.

MeAndMyComputer, Mar 28, 2018
  13. ship69 Win User

PS Interestingly enough, despite all the "hardware level" errors, Windows itself never crashed and was broadly behaving fine, and it was only the failure to boot that alerted me to the issue.

That said, my new SSD certainly feels somewhat faster!

ship69, Mar 28, 2018
  14. If the fix is only somewhat faster at least the "50 errors" factor should not be an issue anymore.
    --- Since the new SSD is only somewhat faster, what was your expectation?
    --- Run Hard Disk Sentinel and get a baseline report of the new SSD.
    --- Since the computer is still under warranty, ask the manufacturer why the performance of your computer is less than what you expect.

MeAndMyComputer, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. My SDD "might crash at any moment" - help! - Similar Threads - SDD might crash

2. My SDD Performance is discouraging. Could a driver update help?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My SDD Performance is discouraging. Could a driver update help?: I have a Samsung laptop running Windows 10. I want to improve my SSD performance. It often goes to 100% on the Task Manager, My controller is is listed as "IntelR 6th Generation Core Processor Family Platform I/O SATA AHCI Controller" with driver version 14.8.11.1056. The...
  3. My SDD Performance is discouraging. Could a driver update help?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My SDD Performance is discouraging. Could a driver update help?: I have a Samsung laptop running Windows 10. I want to improve my SSD performance. It often goes to 100% on the Task Manager, My controller is is listed as "IntelR 6th Generation Core Processor Family Platform I/O SATA AHCI Controller" with driver version 14.8.11.1056. The...
  4. My SDD Performance is discouraging. Could a driver update help?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. hi can any one pls help me these problems these might might working slow ang little...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hi can any one pls help me these problems these might might working slow ang little...: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkCM_vrhtdJ3iTjbR6yibD2skC2I?e=B1chSK one drive link. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hi-can-any-one-pls-help-me-these-problems-these/3afc0a43-4774-4dfa-94a1-5a03cf5856e2
  6. hi can any one pls help me these problems these might might working slow ang little...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hi can any one pls help me these problems these might might working slow ang little...: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkCM_vrhtdJ3iTjbR6yibD2skC2I?e=B1chSK one drive link. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hi-can-any-one-pls-help-me-these-problems-these/3afc0a43-4774-4dfa-94a1-5a03cf5856e2
  7. [HELP] SDD disappeared?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [HELP] SDD disappeared?: Alright, so, I decided today that I would reset my computer, I do it and it begins resetting. Once it reached 100%, automatic repair came up and started diagnosing a problem. Once it finished, it said "automatic repair couldn't repair your PC". I was confused. After an hour...
  8. HDD crashed and replaced with a SDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HDD crashed and replaced with a SDD: replaced the HDD in my laptop after it crashed and I could not get it to recover. Now it will only go to the hardware diagnostics and will not load from usb or do anything eles. How do I get my laptop to load windows 10 from the usb and I have a probuct key?...
  9. Weird screen bug that happens at random moments. Any help greatly appreciated

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird screen bug that happens at random moments. Any help greatly appreciated: Hello my friends, i bought this laptop around a month or so ago and it keeps randomly crashing my screen and restarting or just stays stuck on the crash screens. Here are some videos i took when it happened: A weird grid-like blue screen: https://m.imgur.com/a/HrTeu42 Then...
  10. BSOD at any moment

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD at any moment: Hi, i´m a simple user, i don't speak english. Could you help me with this? https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkbrRyWMN82KiRCYrbR6XfOFi1vK?e=LMzTHs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bsod-at-any-moment/4f4b4c50-627e-47ad-9b78-96a39d656372

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hdwr180 might crash at any moment

2. yoir ssd might crash any momeny