Windows 10: My second hard drive is being constantly accessed and I can't stop it

Discus and support My second hard drive is being constantly accessed and I can't stop it in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Immediately after installing Windows 10 on my new build, I noticed my secondary hard drive is being accessed. My primary drive is an SSD so it is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Hindsight, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Hindsight Win User

My second hard drive is being constantly accessed and I can't stop it

Immediately after installing Windows 10 on my new build, I noticed my secondary hard drive is being accessed. My primary drive is an SSD so it is silent, but my secondary hard drive is a mechanical Western Digital drive. I can hear it being accessed in a rhythmic manner: every 3 seconds, I heard one second of activity. It isn't a "clicking" noise like a drive about to fail, it's the sound of information being read off the drive or copied to the drive.

Please note that I have not pointed any of the windows folders such as my documents or my pictures to my secondary drive. I don't have a third party virus scanning software installed, and I do not have drive indexing turned on for this secondary drive. There should be no reason for this drive to be accessing every three seconds and it is driving me nuts.

I've checked the drive properties in file explorer and the used/free space isn't changing at all, which tells me that the drive is simply being read from, and not written to.

I've tried using perfmon.exe /res and looking for any process using "D:/" but I see nothing there.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get rid of this annoying issue? Thanks in advance.

:)

Hindsight, Jan 19, 2017
  2. bethatuw Win User
  3. My second hard drive is not being recognized correctly, need help

First off thank you and mlg63 for the help, very helpful so far. Question though regarding the "System Reserved". Now that I understand that it is just MB's not GB's which I should have known anyway, I shouldnt have put a letter too it. So now that it
    shows up in the "My Computer", I want to get rid of it. If I were to delete volume, would it actually delete the space that Windows reserved, or any info Windows has there?

More or less, I just want to have it now show anymore when I look at My computer.

Hockeygod9911, Jan 19, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

Give the new installation a while to sort out the background tasks and it will probably be silent. Keep task manager up and monitor what processes are running, sorted according to disk activity. I have found it can take a day to settle down and I now routinely leave a new PC installation running over night for the first day and after that it generally settles down. I've never got to the bottom of what actually goes on.

philc43, Jan 19, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, try System Internals Process Monitor (released by MS) - easy to find, free.

Run this long enough to capture possible D: activity.
    Stop capture.
    Edit, Find D:
    and look for references.

If none, suggest you run tests on the disk.

dalchina, Jan 19, 2017
  6. Hindsight Win User
    That did it thank you!!! It ended up being Corsair Link that was doing it. I have no idea why it was doing it but it was. Corsair Link was the first thing I installed after the Windows installation and I guess I forgot about that. My sanity has been restored, thank you for the help!!!!

Hindsight, Jan 20, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Well done.. it can be a bit daunting with such a huge log.

dalchina, Jan 20, 2017
  8. sml156 Win User

If it keeps bothering you it should be safe to disable that from starting at boot.

sml156, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. My second hard drive is being constantly accessed and I can't stop it - Similar Threads - second hard drive

2. Empty hard-drive being accessed and freezing pc for seconds

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Empty hard-drive being accessed and freezing pc for seconds: Hi, I've had this issue multiple times in multiple different forms, it's very persistent and keeps coming back. Here are both of the times I have recorded them in this microsoft help forum and the advice that either isn't working anymore or hasn't worked at...
  3. Empty hard-drive being accessed and freezing pc for seconds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Empty hard-drive being accessed and freezing pc for seconds: Hi, I've had this issue multiple times in multiple different forms, it's very persistent and keeps coming back. Here are both of the times I have recorded them in this microsoft help forum and the advice that either isn't working anymore or hasn't worked at...
  4. Empty hard-drive being accessed and freezing pc for seconds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. External Hard Drive Stopped Being Detected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Stopped Being Detected: Hi,Yesterday one of my hard drives stopped being detected. Restarting the PC didn't fix it. This is all the info I've gathered so far about the issue: Not an issue with the USB port that the drive is normally plugged into. I've plugged it into other ports - nothing. I've...
  6. External Hard Drive Stopped Being Detected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard Drive Stopped Being Detected: Hi,Yesterday one of my hard drives stopped being detected. Restarting the PC didn't fix it. This is all the info I've gathered so far about the issue: Not an issue with the USB port that the drive is normally plugged into. I've plugged it into other ports - nothing. I've...
  7. I anciently "Locked" my hard drive and can't access it

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I anciently "Locked" my hard drive and can't access it: I got a new hard drive and decided to merge the partitions of the old one with MiniToolPartition wizard, but after I did the file was locked for some reason and whenever I try to open it, it gives me this message "The BitLocker encryption on this drive isn't compatible with...
  8. Can't access hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't access hard drive: Hi Im running w10 on an EliteBook. Local disk drive C with a capacity of 30gb is now full. There is a second drive New Volume D with 285gb capacity but despite switching where content is saved, this doesn't happen. I have tried formatting to no avail Anyone got any ideas....
  9. Can't access one of my Hard drive...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't access one of my Hard drive...: OK, so I'm just done resetting my PC and when I'm trying to install program on my (F:) hard drive a message pop up saying : ''you need to confirm this operation'' -I then press continue and another message pop up : ''you need permission to perform this action''... I have...
  10. Hard drive stopped being recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive stopped being recognized: External USB drive stopped being recognized. I opened up the enclosure and connected it via SATA interface but still no cure. The drive is not shown on Disk Management. I tried different cable, different PC and different port. Is there a way to recover data in it? 105182