Windows 10: My secondary drive is included (mandatory) in system image backup.Why?

Discus and support My secondary drive is included (mandatory) in system image backup.Why? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi, I want to create a system image of my primary drive (an SSD) on an external 230gb hard drive as backup for any incovenience.. The problem is my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by agasabellaba, Oct 12, 2015.

1. My secondary drive is included (mandatory) in system image backup.Why?

Hi,
    I want to create a system image of my primary drive (an SSD) on an external 230gb hard drive as backup for any incovenience..
    The problem is my other drive (games,movies, photos, etc) is automatically checked as default because "required for Windows to run" among my primary drive and System Reserved 350MB partition.
    I cant uncheck its box.
    Can you guys help me?

My pc runs windows 10
    It' s a custom built pc with:
    i7 4770k
    GeForce GTX 770 2GB
    8gb RAM
    230 gb of SSD (primary drive) with still 70gb of free space
    1 Terabyte of Hard disk (secondary drive)
    230 gb of external TrekStore drive (NFTS formatted)

Thank you,

:)

agasabellaba, Oct 12, 2015
  2. JJLongVP Win User

Is an Image Backup Drive bootable?

Please go back to my original question. I am asking about a secondary internal hard drive. my primary drive runs my computer. I want to place an image of this primary drive onto the secondary drive by using Windows "Create a system image" through the
    control panel/system and security, etc.

If I do this, will the secondary drive be bootable with my complete system files and everything else?

Thank you.

JJLongVP, Oct 12, 2015
  3. dlh2015 Win User
    System Recovery to a New Drive in Windows 10 using a stored system image.

I have an System Image backup on a secondary drive. The original SSD (120 GB) is unserviceable. I installed a ssd (240 GB) to be used as the new "C" drive. Using the recovery disk and selecting recovery using the system image, it will not restore as it
    indicates that the original SSD drive is locked. The drive was removed from the system. What settings can I use to get the recovery disk to restore the system Image to the new "C" drive?

dlh2015, Oct 12, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

My secondary drive is included (mandatory) in system image backup.Why?

Hello agasabellaba, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

If you have a system partition, moved the page file, or moved any system or user folder to that drive, it would then be considered a part of the system and thus would be mandated to be included in a system image.

Brink, Oct 13, 2015
  5. Hi Brink thank you for your fast reply, how should I proceed? How do I find these files you talked about? I have for example moved to the secondary drive some cache folders (like Spotify cache folder) whereas Spotify itself is installed in the primary SSD drive. Could this be the type of problem we are looking for?
    I dont believe I have moved any other type of User files or system files to the secondary drive.

agasabellaba, Oct 13, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Oct 13, 2015
  7. My secondary drive is included (mandatory) in system image backup.Why? [​IMG]

8. My secondary drive is included (mandatory) in system image backup.Why?

If that is the case, I would rather buy a bigger external drive and copy everything to it than moving folders around (just far less complicated).
    Thank you though, really appreciated your help.

9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Are you dual booting with Ubuntu on drive U: on disk 1?

If so, that would be why disk 1 would be included.

Brink, Oct 13, 2015
  10. No, I have created a partition and have named it Ubuntu My secondary drive is included (mandatory) in system image backup.Why? :p (I will some day install it on there). It's empty now.

11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    There's nothing in Disk Management showing for why the other disk is being included in the system image.

If you like, you could disconnect the other disk to not have it included in the system image. Make sure that you do not have any issues with it disconnected before creating the system image though. If you do, you'll just have them with the created image as well.

Brink, Oct 13, 2015
  12. Kari Win User
    This may not have anything to do with your issue but according your Disk Management screenshot you have assigned your data partition letter A:. The A: and B: are due historical reasons treated as removable media and should not be used for hard disks. Reasons are many, starting from the fact that Windows does not index the content on A: and B: drives.

13. My secondary drive is included (mandatory) in system image backup.Why?

done. everything is ok. THANK YOU Brink.

14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Oct 13, 2015
  15. maybe. I' ll change that to make things right. Thank you for the tip.

agasabellaba, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

My secondary drive is included (mandatory) in system image backup.Why?

1. My secondary drive is included (mandatory) in system image backup.Why? - Similar Threads - secondary drive included

2. Why does System Image Backup fail?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why does System Image Backup fail?: Win 10 Pro x64 version 22H2. Periodically, I run File History > System Image Backup > Create System Image to a 447 gb external drive that has up to 381 gb free, or has the last backup on it. Sometimes it runs fine and sometimes it fails early on, with the message below. The...
  3. Creating a system image forces me to include a non-system drive in the image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating a system image forces me to include a non-system drive in the image: When trying to create a system image, the image creator is forcing me to include an entire drive that is not the system drive. It's a storage drive with a few games installed, some music and other data. The only possible system item is a folder called ModifiableWindowsApps...
  4. Creating a system image forces me to include a non-system drive in the image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating a system image forces me to include a non-system drive in the image: When trying to create a system image, the image creator is forcing me to include an entire drive that is not the system drive. It's a storage drive with a few games installed, some music and other data. The only possible system item is a folder called ModifiableWindowsApps...
  5. Creating a system image forces me to include a non-system drive in the image

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Trying to create a system image as backup, Windows won't let me remove a secondary drive...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to create a system image as backup, Windows won't let me remove a secondary drive...: I assume this has something to do with the fact that I moved the WindowsApps folder from the system drive (C:) to my games drive. Now, W10 also sees it as a "(System)" drive, even though the only MS-related files that are in it are games downloaded from the MS Store. Is...
  7. System Image Backup Drives

System Image Backup Drives: I purchased a Toshiba 2TB external hard drive-I made a system image from that. I decided something did not feel right about the drive, the drive was an awkward looking size. I deleted the system image and returned it. I had almost 6 hours of back up on this drive and it...
  8. Is it possible to backup system image of only primary drive, not secondary?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to backup system image of only primary drive, not secondary?: I have a 1TB primary (C:) drive. My secondary (D:) is 5TB. I have an external hard drive (E:) that is also 5TB. Of course my 5TB external drive isn't large enough to backup a system image of 6TB. I see no option for backing up a system image of only my primary drive... Is...
  9. My system image backup also includes the data disk

My system image backup also includes the data disk: I have just made a system image backup and realize that both my static disk c: which contains the system and the large capacity disk which contains the data have been saved. This means that I will restore all my data, if I have an update problem and I will loose everything...
  10. Two drives included in system image?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Two drives included in system image?: Hello. Several days ago I decided to locate and delete duplicate files on my PC prior to transferring my libraries to a second SSD. I've got two SSDs and 3 HDDs in my setup and I want to rationalise, possibly putting the HDDs as offline for backups etc. Anyway,...