Windows 10: My VM is slow

Discus and support My VM is slow in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I first built a VM using Oracle Virtual Box on my former desktop, a Window 7 box with an i7-930 CPU and 8 GB RAM. It ran very SLOOOOOOW. Well I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by margrave55, Oct 30, 2017.

1. My VM is slow

I first built a VM using Oracle Virtual Box on my former desktop, a Window 7 box with an i7-930 CPU and 8 GB RAM. It ran very SLOOOOOOW.

Well I upgraded to a much hotter box, a Dell XPS8920 with an i7-7700K CPU at 4.2 GHz running Windows 10. That should produce better results, right? I created a Windows 7 VM. And it, too, runs slowly.

How do cloud providers offer servers running multiple VMs that perform well when I can't get this top-level desktop to run just one VM? Sure, their servers are hotter than my desktop, and their CPUs might have more than my lowly quad-core. But still ... I just want to run one VM.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there something more that I need to know and do?

:)

margrave55, Oct 30, 2017
  2. BobLeurck Win User

Edge seems to be slow and lockup in any VM

Original title: Why Does Egde Suck ?

Edge seems to be slow and lockup in any VM . Hard to use

BobLeurck, Oct 30, 2017
  3. Backup or not backup

If you can connect your USB drive to your VM, yes, you can do it. It might be slow though.

Andre Da Costa, Oct 30, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

My VM is slow

What have you assigned to the VM? How much memory? How many cores? Is it stored on your SSD or HDD?

VirtualBox is a bit slower than Hyper-V or VMWare but it works fine for me (for simple things like Office) and my hardware is much worse than yours. I use VirtualBox to VPN to certain clients that have specific VPN connection requirements.

I find with VirtualBox assigning 1 virtual processor (I have 4 cores too but my processor is much slower as it is a laptop), at least 2GB RAM and most importantly putting the VHD on SSD gives best results. If I increase the number of virtual processors the performance actually gets worse. There is quite a lot on the VirtualBox forums but the consensus seems to be you should assign the number of virtual processors to be less than or equal to the number of actual processors (not cores) that you have.

5. 2 CPUs (out of 8 possible)
    6 GB RAM
    140 GB .vdi drive file (stored on a regular disk drive)

margrave55, Oct 31, 2017
  6. roy111 Win User
    What OS are you using as guest OS?
    Probably better results with wmware or using linux as host OS, possibly Hyper-V is better
    for windows guest than virtualbox.

they do not use windows 7 or 10 but much more specialized systems...

roy111, Nov 1, 2017
  7. This host is running Virtual Box on Windows 10 Home. (On my previous desktop it was Windows 7 Home.) In both cases the VM OS is Windows 10 Starter.

There's no Linux here.

Can't use Hyper-V ... this is Windows Home, and I'm told Hyper-V is only for Windows Pro.

margrave55, Nov 1, 2017
  8. roy111 Win User

My VM is slow

Hyper-V is not available in win 10 home, maybe you can download it (?) it was possible in the past
    not sure now.

If you want you can try Vmware Workstation Player (you can download it and use at no cost) and install
    the guest OS in a 2nd internal Hard Disk

I do not understand what you mean with "There's no Linux here", anyway what is generally referred as "Linux" is
    a Free Software/Open Source OS available for download and use at will; it's used on many levels for cloud computing
    and virtualization.
    Since you asked "How do cloud providers offer servers running multiple VMs that perform well when I can't get this top-level desktop to run just one VM?" I gave you a hint about Linux because it is the way I know to do that.

roy111, Nov 1, 2017
  9. By no Linux I mean ... I'm running Windows 10. For me that's the only possible host for a VM.

You mentioned VMWare workstation player ... but their web site says that the host must be one of these:

• Ubuntu 14.04 and above
    • Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 & above
    • CentOS 6.0 and above
    • Oracle Linux 6.0 and above
    • openSUSE Leap 42.2 and above
    • SUSE Linux 12 and above
    So no joy there.

margrave55, Nov 1, 2017
  10. lx07 Win User
    I don't know why they hide the free Windows Workstation Player away so intricately on their website - to bore people into buying Workstation Pro perhaps. It certainly takes ages to find it.

Here is the download link for the (free) Windows host version from their website. It is 64 bit only which presumably you are running.

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/fre...on_player/14_0

In any case you'll still need to juggle how much memory, CPU you give to the VM and decide where to store the virtual disk.

There are a few more performance improvements you can do on VMWare compared to Virtualbox if you do get it working. I use tips from this blog for example: VMware Performance Enhancing Tweaks (Over-the-Counter Solutions) | artykul8

11. roy111 Win User
    You can also use windows in fact, and if you got a 2nd internal HD, run the VM from that to increase speed.

roy111, Nov 1, 2017
  12. roy111 Win User
    It may seem but it's actually pretty simple, 2 clicks away from the main vmware page*Smile

My VM is slow [​IMG]

My VM is slow [​IMG]

roy111, Nov 1, 2017
  13. My VM is slow

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

margrave55, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

My VM is slow

1. My VM is slow - Similar Threads - slow

2. What can I do if my computer suddenly start running so slow I can’t even troubleshoot it?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What can I do if my computer suddenly start running so slow I can’t even troubleshoot it?: The computer worked fine last night, but was a little slow today. I restarted it and now it’s incredibly slow about 30 minutes to load. I can’t bring up settings even in safe mode. Lots of storage space. Very sudden drop in performance....
  3. What can I do if my computer suddenly start running so slow I can’t even troubleshoot it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What can I do if my computer suddenly start running so slow I can’t even troubleshoot it?: The computer worked fine last night, but was a little slow today. I restarted it and now it’s incredibly slow about 30 minutes to load. I can’t bring up settings even in safe mode. Lots of storage space. Very sudden drop in performance....
  4. What can I do if my computer suddenly start running so slow I can’t even troubleshoot it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File Transfer Speed from Windows 11 to Synology NAS is VERY SLOW vs. Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Transfer Speed from Windows 11 to Synology NAS is VERY SLOW vs. Windows 10: I have a new Windows 11 PC and I'm noticing that the file sharing to my Synology NAS is very slow vs when I transferred files from my older Windows 10 PC. File Transfer Speeds:Windows 11 to NAS DS1520+ = 11.5 MB/s Windows 11 to Windows 10 = 112 MB/s much fasterFile size =...
  6. File Transfer Speed from Windows 11 to Synology NAS is VERY SLOW vs. Windows 10

File Transfer Speed from Windows 11 to Synology NAS is VERY SLOW vs. Windows 10: I have a new Windows 11 PC and I'm noticing that the file sharing to my Synology NAS is very slow vs when I transferred files from my older Windows 10 PC. File Transfer Speeds:Windows 11 to NAS DS1520+ = 11.5 MB/s Windows 11 to Windows 10 = 112 MB/s much fasterFile size =...
  7. Wi-Fi extremely slow only on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-Fi extremely slow only on Windows 10: I've been facing this problem for a while now, basically my Wi-Fi is extremely slow only on Windows 10, it seems to be perfectly fine on Linux, I've tried with multiple adapters, network reset, chucking 20 commands into CMD, none of them worked. It's so incredibly slow to the...
  8. Wi-Fi extremely slow only on Windows 10

Wi-Fi extremely slow only on Windows 10: I've been facing this problem for a while now, basically my Wi-Fi is extremely slow only on Windows 10, it seems to be perfectly fine on Linux, I've tried with multiple adapters, network reset, chucking 20 commands into CMD, none of them worked. It's so incredibly slow to the...
  9. Wi-Fi extremely slow only on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  10. Normal internet, extremely slow upload and download speeds on laptop but not any other device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Normal internet, extremely slow upload and download speeds on laptop but not any other device: I was installing a game on steam when my download speed dropped from 46 Mbps to 2-4 Mbps. I have scanned for malware, restarted my router, and flushed the DNS. I have also updated my drivers. However, my phone, in the same room, has 200-300 Mbps download and upload speed, and...