Windows 10: My W7 Permissions borked: will upgrading to W10 import the problem?

Discus and support My W7 Permissions borked: will upgrading to W10 import the problem? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Folks, I've got a homegroup. All on W7. One machine was not sharing with the others. In a fit of WinRage, I selected "C", my OS drive, and forced a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by iamc3k, Nov 15, 2015.

1. iamc3k Win User

My W7 Permissions borked: will upgrading to W10 import the problem?

Folks,

I've got a homegroup. All on W7. One machine was not sharing with the others. In a fit of WinRage, I selected "C", my OS drive, and forced a "share all" and did the same with my data drive, "D".

Now, I've found that my network printer (an HP8630) is inop with that computer. It works with the rest; I can browse to it from the problem machine; it's just that no item ever prints and I have a "missing driver" message which never goes away, despite uninstalling/reinstalling/running HP Dr.

This problem started from the time I tried to force the sharing. (The good news is that now all the folders I want are being shared.)

At some point during the troubleshooting process, I got a message from Windows that the permissions are messed up.

Can I just upgrade to W10 and have a "fresh" install (albeit, with my data and structure intact)? (And I do mean "upgrade": If I have to do an install from scratch, I may as well do it with W7 for now.)

Thanks,
    Ken

:)

iamc3k, Nov 15, 2015

2. Stopped W10 Install - now can't update W7!

Thought I would download the W10 upgrade then install it later but after the W10 upgrade had
    downloaded it started installing immediately so I cancelled it. Now, even though I keep unchecking the W10 upgrade in WUPDATE, it keeps attempting to continue with the W10 install and won't allow me to install any of the other W7 / Security
    essentials updates.

How can I get this W10 upgrade to stop installing (until I want to install it) so I can install the other important/optional updates I want/need (with my W7)?

Please and Thank you.

hops castle, Nov 15, 2015
  3. Windows 7 64-bit to Windows 10 32-bit

Is it possible to upgrade from W7-64 to W10-32?

Yes, it's not a mistake: I want to try W10-32 but my current OS is W7 Pro-64.

LEBOUBOU64, Nov 15, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

Remove the share from C and D before upgrading. Also uninstall the printer, you can install it after the upgrade. Download any drivers you may need, as after the upgrade you may not be able to connect to the internet until you update the network drivers. Disable your antivirus completely (not until next restart) or uninstall it. Then do the upgrade and try to share the specific folders you want. If your network is configured to home and you are in the same workgroup as the other computers, you should not have problem detecting and reinstalling the printer.

spapakons, Nov 15, 2015
Thema:

1. My W7 Permissions borked: will upgrading to W10 import the problem? - Similar Threads - Permissions borked upgrading

2. Problem with installing w10 on w7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem with installing w10 on w7: Hi All,During installation of the w10, I am facing the following error message, and I am trying every suggestions of this website but seems doesn't work for me.I would appreciate to take a look and give me some hints.It should be noted that my w7 is original and have valid...
  3. Upgrading from W7 to W10

Upgrading from W7 to W10: I am currently running W7 on an SSD and want to upgrade to W10 on the same hardware. Is this possible? If so, anything special I need to do? I was unable to install the free upgrade when it was available because of the SSD. Thanks....
  4. upgrading w7 to w10

upgrading w7 to w10: hello, this not my first round of trying fix windows over the years. got a older toshiba laptop L755 had windows 7 home prem. i like window 10. stupid me thinking upgrade. what could go wrong ???? made a usb drive boot for window 10. put in the laptop to totally new...
  5. W10 upgrade has borked microphone output.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    W10 upgrade has borked microphone output.: I've opened every privacy button for mic and camera. Two different headsets are the same. My arctis 5 and logitec sets receive sound but have no mic output at all, in the sound settings or other software tests [Discord, Teamspeak]. I have the set as default and I have green...
  6. upgrading W7 to W10

upgrading W7 to W10: Hi. This will probably be a common question. My wife uses W7. Does not want W10. I have been told that I can copy my W10 from my PC to a USB stick and install W10 like that on to her Laptop.. Is this possible please. If so, is there any set proceedure like which files to...
  7. BIOS setting and W7 to W10 Upgrade

BIOS setting and W7 to W10 Upgrade: I'm looking to help someone upgrade a fairly new desktop PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10 using the MCT method. When we installed Windows 7 on this machine I recall going into the UEFI BIOS and changing the Boot > Safe Boot > OS Type setting from the default "Windows UEFI...
  8. Trouble with W7 Pro to W10 upgrade

Trouble with W7 Pro to W10 upgrade: I'm trying to do an upgrade, but it keeps on stopping on this error: 0xC1900101-0x4000D. Can someone point me to a solution? 26379
  9. VIDEO: Upgrading W7 to W10 9926 (and rolled back to W7)

VIDEO: Upgrading W7 to W10 9926 (and rolled back to W7): For those who are thinking about upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10, here's how I did it. I upgraded WIn 7 to Win 10 and then I rolled it back to Win 7 again. Warning: 16mins video from start to finish (you can fast forward at will). Total upgrade and rollback time is about...
  10. Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10

Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10: Having a nightmare trying to do this. The PC has an SSD with C: and D: on. C: has Windows and programs that don't offer a choice of where to install, D: has my Lightroom Catalogue and programs which offer a choice. C: has 25.4 of 94.6 GN free, D: has 4.57 of 17GB free. It...