Windows 10: My Wife's Win7 Macine Cannot Access my Win10 Machine.

Discus and support My Wife's Win7 Macine Cannot Access my Win10 Machine. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I HATE modern networking with every fiber of my being. Once upon a time, networking was simple. To support huge corporate networks Microsoft has made... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by iamjim, Jul 9, 2016.

1. iamjim Win User

My Wife's Win7 Macine Cannot Access my Win10 Machine.

I HATE modern networking with every fiber of my being. Once upon a time, networking was simple. To support huge corporate networks Microsoft has made it into a nightmare for home users.

Last week I upgraded to Win10. My wife backs up here win7 data on my backup drive. She is on the same wired network a I. After my upgrade she could not access the folder to backup her data. Everything was working for three years before the upgrade. In spite of all the assurances from Microsoft that functioning would remain the same I discovered the Win10 upgrade had changed the permissions. I redid them to allow everyone to read/write to her backup folder. Problem solved for a few days. Now, once again, she cannot access her backup folder. The permission changes I made remain but she gets a message asking for the "network username and password." After much googling I'm almost certain there's no such thing as a "network password." Since a network password does not exist it's impossible to supply one.

I can see her computer and access it. She can see my computer but cannot access it for the reason stated above.

Anyone know how to get past this roadblock?

:)

iamjim, Jul 9, 2016

2. Networking Win10 with Win7

Both are members of the same Workgroup. Everything enabled but networking between the two is now a no go.

The thing seemed to work most of the time when I was running Win8.1 but since the upgrade it's a no go. Network discovery, etc all turned on - both machines. Password protection turned off - both machines. Sharing is set to Everyone, Administrator, Administrators
    - full control.

Have tried everything to no avail and believe the homegroup between Win10 and 7 is now apparently no go.

The Win10 machine can see the Win7 machine on the network but cannot access the files - 'Windows cannot access \\xxxxxx. Error code 0x80070035 - The network path was not found

The Win7 machine cannot see the Win10 machine.

I use a MS account but in trying to sort I did revert to a Local Account - no go. So now back with the MS account.

Also, the shared laser printer running from a USB cable worked fine via the Win7 machine.

I can see my wife's laptop and shared files - she's using Win7 Pro. So the wi-fi element between my laptop and her laptop seems to be working okay but my main PC running Win7 via an ethernet cable to the router is a no go.

Also, my main PC running Win7 can also access the shared files on my wife's laptop. Certainly something weird here but probably very basic as well.

martynbromley, Jul 9, 2016
  3. Mallette Win User
    Windows 10 "This computer cannot join/create a homegroup:

It's still basically the same but it's moved. Did a clean reinstall and was able to create a homegroup on the Win10 machine. But now I get the same message on the Win7 machine I am trying to get in touch with.

I was finally able to map an NAS and drives from my Win7 machine to the Win10 station, but the Win7 machine denies access to the shared drives on the Win10 machine.

Dave

Mallette, Jul 9, 2016
  4. PiKo Win User

You operate your PC as an administrator? In that case it may help to define a user "mywife" and a password, and to set the sharing and security settings for this user.

PiKo, Jul 9, 2016
  5. sml156 Win User
    Not sure why it keeps asking for a password but it wants your Microsoft login.

EG:
    L: user@outlook.com and the password

sml156, Jul 9, 2016
  6. iamjim Win User
    Assuming you mean the username and password assigned when I installed Win8 then we've tried that with no luck.

iamjim, Jul 9, 2016
  7. iamjim Win User

iamjim, Jul 9, 2016
  8. iamjim Win User
    I assume you mean create an entirely new user under my Win10. I'd never thought of that and have never had a second user. I help my sister in law with a computer she shares with her husband and they have separate users. I found it very confusing, probably because its the only such setup I've ever worked on. So, you think if I set her up as a separate user she will be able to see my backup drive? What about my printer and my desktop?

iamjim, Jul 9, 2016
  9. sml156 Win User
    If you sign into your computer with a Microsoft account you use that.

sml156, Jul 9, 2016
  10. PiKo Win User
    Not exactly. What I mean is: create at your PC a new (extra) user with password. For you, nothing changes because you continue to work in your administrator account. Give the folders you want to share the appropriate rights under the sharing and security tabs, which you probably already did. Define "Everyone" as authenticized user if not present under the sharing and security tabs (later, if it works, you may limit Everyone only to your wife's PC).
    After that your wife should be able to see the shared folders and to login with the newly created username and password. Login data are remembered so your wife has to do that only the first time.
    I learned this trick in an internet search when people could not share their (Kodi) mediaplayer with a W10 PC.
    It solved my problem too, which was identical to yours. It seems that W10 takes measures to prevent to login at a W10 machine with only an administrator account.

11. iamjim Win User
    I hope everyone sees why I say Microsoft has made networking a nightmare for home users

iamjim, Jul 9, 2016
  12. iamjim Win User

We tried that. It didn't work.

iamjim, Jul 9, 2016
  13. iamjim Win User
    It sounds to me like we're saying the same thing so you must mean something I don't understand

iamjim, Jul 9, 2016
  14. iamjim Win User
    Well, well, that worked. Thank you so much !!!!!

iamjim, Jul 9, 2016
Thema:

1. My Wife's Win7 Macine Cannot Access my Win10 Machine. - Similar Threads - Wife's Win7 Macine

2. Cannot access my virtual machine in my multipass

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot access my virtual machine in my multipass: I'm writing multipass with Oracle VM virtualbox and according to it it does not have an IP address I do not know how to connect itWhatever I try to create a new virtual machine I keep on getting the same...
  3. Cannot access my virtual machine in my multipass

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot access my virtual machine in my multipass: I'm writing multipass with Oracle VM virtualbox and according to it it does not have an IP address I do not know how to connect itWhatever I try to create a new virtual machine I keep on getting the same...
  4. Why my macine is not updating?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why my macine is not updating?: I am not getting updates.My Desktop PC is not connected with Micrsoft Server. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-my-macine-is-not-updating/2cb1d8a4-0c00-4c32-8603-bf5f5c0a39d6
  5. Why my macine is not updating?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why my macine is not updating?: I am not getting updates.My Desktop PC is not connected with Micrsoft Server. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-my-macine-is-not-updating/2cb1d8a4-0c00-4c32-8603-bf5f5c0a39d6
  6. Why my macine is not updating?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Cannot access my wife's network computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot access my wife's network computer: My computer cannot find my wife's laptop on the network, even though they are the same make and model. One reason may be that her Microsoft username is in some places J.......@prodigy.net and others J......@proxdigy.net. Somehow this typo occurred and I have no clue how to...
  8. Cannot access Win10 machine via local network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot access Win10 machine via local network: I am 'birthing' my first Win10 machine, OS V1809, and must have goofed something up... All machines in my home belong to the same Workgroup and the users/passwords are consistent across all machines. From my Win7 desktop, I: Can access my Win10 machine, via Explorer, using...
  9. Win10 thinks my wife is a child

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Win10 thinks my wife is a child: I can't change her from child to adult. I have tried to create a new account as an adult, with a different email address, but in the end it changes her account type to a child again. Any ideas? Thanks 116624
  10. Win10 thinks my wife is a child

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 thinks my wife is a child: I can't change her from child to adult. I have tried to create a new account as an adult, with a different email address, but in the end it changes her account type to a child again. Any ideas? Thanks 116624