Windows 10: My Windows 10 PC will no longer sleep or hibernate?

Discus and support My Windows 10 PC will no longer sleep or hibernate? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My (64 bit) Windows 10 desktop PC will no longer sleep or hibernate. Instead, it shuts down completely. How can I enable sleep and hibernate? 95791 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mobile1, Oct 17, 2017.

1. mobile1 Win User

My Windows 10 PC will no longer sleep or hibernate?

My (64 bit) Windows 10 desktop PC will no longer sleep or hibernate.

Instead, it shuts down completely.

How can I enable sleep and hibernate?

:)

mobile1, Oct 17, 2017

2. my pc will no longer display icons or thumbnails in explorer or IE

Hello Devlin Sco,

I can confirm that Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 is enabled and that I am running Windows 10 Pro. However, your resolution states: "

To fix the error codes for Windows 10, follow these steps:

• Download the Windows Media Creation tool, and create an ISO image locally, or create an image for the version of Windows that you have installed.
    • Configure the Group Policy as in Method 2, but also follow these steps:
      • Mount the ISO image that's created in step 1.
      • Point the "Alternate source file path" to the ISO sources\sxs folder from the ISO.
      • Run the gpupdate /force command.
      • Add the .Net framework feature."
    The Windows Media Creation tool has downloaded an ISO image to my C Drive and I've mounted this (as Drive FMy Windows 10 PC will no longer sleep or hibernate? :). When I use the Group Policy I get the following message (see message.jpg below) repeated twice, if I then click OK on both message boxes the Group
    Policy screen appears. I've no idea where to go from there, I can't find anything referring to Alternate source file path which I presume I need to point to F:\sources\sxs nor do I see how to run the gpupdate /force command or add the .Net framework feature!!
    The resolution states "Configure the Group Policy as in Method 2" but I don't know where Method 2 is explained. I realise that I can do a lot of damage by messing with the Group Policy editor without adequate guidance so have been reluctant to take any action
    with this so far.

My Windows 10 PC will no longer sleep or hibernate? [​IMG]

Many apologies for my lack of knowledge in this, and other, matters. If you could possible explain in greater detail what I need to do I'd be very grateful.

Kind regards, John

JohnEReilly, Oct 17, 2017
  3. my pc will no longer display icons or thumbnails in explorer or IE

Hello Devlin Sco,

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I'd need more guidance to attempt your proposed resolution. I've never used the Group Policy before, the DISM.log file is larger than 8mb and I don't understand what it is telling me. I've no idea what files I need
    to find to enable DISM to operate. I'm also unsure if .NET Framework 3.5 should be enabled or not (currently enabled)? All my data on drives D: and E: is present and uncorrupted (apparently) but explorer no longer displays thumbnails or icons which is making
    working with image files frustrating.

Sorry to be a pain but is there anything I can try (following simplistic instructions if possible) or do I need to reload the OS?

Kind regards, John

JohnEReilly, Oct 17, 2017
  4. My Windows 10 PC will no longer sleep or hibernate?

Hi mobile1.

When did this start?

What changes were made just prior to the start of issues?

Are you using restore points .... with the possibility of doing a system restore.

What version an build are you on?

Windows key + R, type winver, enter

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 18, 2017
  5. mobile1 Win User
    It started two updates ago.

Yes I am using restore points.

mobile1, Oct 18, 2017
  6. Version build number?

So this started in September?

Do you have a restore point that old?

Have you tried to reset power plans to defaults.

Caledon Ken, Oct 18, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
    In the left lower corner search type power and open power and sleep settings > on the right pane click additional power settings > choose what closing the lid does > click change settings that are currently available > uncheck turn on fast startup

post an image into the thread

reboot and evaluate sleep and hibernation

recheck fast startup

reboot and evaluate sleep and hibernation

report into the thread any changes in sleep and hibernation.

zbook, Oct 18, 2017
  8. bro67 Win User

Lenovo uses their own Power Manager. Just download it again and it should start. HIbernate is supposed to be disabled, since it causes a lot of issues, especially Hybrid Sleep.

bro67, Oct 18, 2017
  9. A lot of things can keep your computer from going to sleep, like downloading a file, opening a file on the network, or even a disconnected printer with an open job. Windows O/S have an easy method for finding out what the problem is.

In Windows Vista, 7:

1. Click
    button.
    2. Type Cmd.exe, right click "Cmd.exe", select Run as administrator

In Windows 8, 8.1 and 10:

1. Press the
    + X keys.
    2. Select Command Prompt (Admin)

In Windows XP:

1. Press
    + R to open Run box
    2. Type Cmd.exe, click OK button

Within the Command Prompt type:

Code: Powercfg -requests[/quote]

It'll let you know if anything is keeping the computer awake.

FreeBooter, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. My Windows 10 PC will no longer sleep or hibernate? - Similar Threads - longer sleep hibernate

2. Windows 10 Sleep/Hibernate

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Sleep/Hibernate: I turned off all the wake timers I'm able to and for whatever reason my PC still wakes itself sometimes just for a moment before going back to sleep, and other times back on completely. I don't know what to do. I just want it to stay asleep when I ask it too....
  3. Windows 10 Sleep/Hibernate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Sleep/Hibernate: I turned off all the wake timers I'm able to and for whatever reason my PC still wakes itself sometimes just for a moment before going back to sleep, and other times back on completely. I don't know what to do. I just want it to stay asleep when I ask it too....
  4. Windows 10 Sleep/Hibernate

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 sleep or hibernation

Windows 10 sleep or hibernation: I'm having a very unusual problem when Windows 10 wakes out of a sleep or hibernation on it's own due probably to an application. On the display I get a few exception and system errors on various apps trying to open like System Mechanic and Malwarebytes, etc. After responding...
  6. Windows 10 sleep or hibernation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 sleep or hibernation: I'm having a very unusual problem when Windows 10 wakes out of a sleep or hibernation on it's own due probably to an application. On the display I get a few exception and system errors on various apps trying to open like System Mechanic and Malwarebytes, etc. After responding...
  7. Windows 10 sleep or hibernation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Windows 10: No longer goes into sleep or hibernate.

Windows 10: No longer goes into sleep or hibernate.: Since a few updates ago, my desktop no longer goes into sleep mode. As a bonus, my computer will be on, but no amount of activity will cause my monitors to turn back on. I am forced to hold the power button down until it manually shuts off, so I can turn it back on....
  9. Windows 10 no longer hibernates or sleeps?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 no longer hibernates or sleeps?: I've been working on this for awhile now, and nothing I have found helps. I generally like my PC to hibernate or sleep if I am not going to want to use it for hours. Windows 10 no longer does either. I've been trying everything I have found on Google, but nothing so far has...
  10. Sleep/Hibernation won't wake up after longer sleeps

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep/Hibernation won't wake up after longer sleeps: Hey everyone! First of all I'm glad to see TenForums is around, SevenForums way back when saved me more than a few times and was consistently a quality board *Smile So I configured my PC and network to support Wake on LAN, and after a long time trying to get it to work...