Windows 10: My Windows 10 Search Box suddenly changed without warning

Discus and support My Windows 10 Search Box suddenly changed without warning in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've been running Win 10 since the end of July. Yesterday, without any input on my part, my search box appears as a black box with 3 small icons on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by SA Jack, Aug 16, 2015.

1. SA Jack Win User

My Windows 10 Search Box suddenly changed without warning

I've been running Win 10 since the end of July. Yesterday, without any input on my part, my search box appears as a black box with 3 small icons on the upper left hand corner of the box. There is a search field at the bottom, however, when I enter a search request, nothing happens. The screen remains as I described above. I want to change the search box to how it looked when I first started using Windows 10.

I should also point out that the other day, my desktop completely changed to what I discovered was the "tablet view". I was able to switch that back to the desktop view. This change was not because of anything I did.

Update (8/17): Some additional information.
    • The problem described here only impacts my account. There is another user on the PC and search works fine.
    • I checked the search and indexing services to make sure they were running. They were.
    • I rebuilt the index just in case it had been corrupted. No help.
    • I rant the Windows Troubleshooter for search and index yesterday. It gave me a result of improper permissions and said it was fixed. However, the search feature did not work. I ran the same troubleshooter this morning (8/17) and no errors found. But problem still exists.
    • This afternoon I thought I'd activate Cortana hoping that would turn everything "on" with respect to search. What it did was lock up my keyboard in addition to no improvement in searching.
    • Later this afternoon I decided to open Windows in Safe Mode (with networking) and see if the keyboard function returned and if the search problem did/didn't exist. It did NOT exist, and I was able to use the keyboard and perform searches normally.
    Now the good news. I rebooted into Windows 10 normally, and low and behold, both the keyboard and the search function work perfectly. For how long; well that's another story.

I hope my situation will help other users who for confronted with this problem in the future.

Thanks.

My Windows 10 Search Box suddenly changed without warning [​IMG]

:)

SA Jack, Aug 16, 2015
  2. NivekB Win User

Fix internet explorer

Internet Explorer has suddenly and without warning stopped working which seems to be linked to the most recent Windows 10 update. I need it fixed urgently as work depends on it. I also want to keep it as my default web browser as I do not want to change
    to Microsoft Edge which seems to be the only option following the recent Windows 10 updates. Any quick solutions.

NivekB, Aug 16, 2015
  3. AlanHaber Win User
    Menu font size - too large and can't change

I am using Windows 10. Suddenly, without warning, the font size on Menu ribbons and certain other things has gotten very large, making it very hard to work. I can't figure out why this happened or how to change it back!

Can someone help me?

AlanHaber, Aug 16, 2015
Thema:

My Windows 10 Search Box suddenly changed without warning

1. My Windows 10 Search Box suddenly changed without warning - Similar Threads - Search Box suddenly

2. How to change icon in search box on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change icon in search box on Windows 10: Hello,There is picture of a strawberry pie in the search box on my taskbar in Windows 10. I tried to upload it, but it won't go through. I find the photo quite annoying and would like to remove it. Is there a way to do so?I also have no idea why the photo failed to upload. I...
  3. How to change icon in search box on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change icon in search box on Windows 10: Hello,There is picture of a strawberry pie in the search box on my taskbar in Windows 10. I tried to upload it, but it won't go through. I find the photo quite annoying and would like to remove it. Is there a way to do so?I also have no idea why the photo failed to upload. I...
  4. How to change the Search box text in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change the Search box text in Windows 10: In Windows 10 Search box, a default text Type here to search is visible. While some users are OK with that, others want to replace that text. If you also want the same, then you can change this default text with a custom text of your choice. You can either add your own name...
  5. Windows Search Box changes

in Cortana
    Windows Search Box changes: I just released that very recently the search box in windows 10 has been changed. No longer can you type commands such as kind:### where ### represents a file type i.e programs, documents, images etc in order to only return the specifically chosen ### file type as the search...
  6. My Laptop Shutting Down in sudden without warning

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My Laptop Shutting Down in sudden without warning: I have HP probook 430 g1 laptop, and when it's battery comes down arround 20% Then it's goes shutdown without warning. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-shutting-down-in-sudden-without-warning/94911e78-fa58-4669-bd5b-b32475124ef0
  7. Start Menu Search Box Suddenly Changed

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Search Box Suddenly Changed: Where you see the Start Menu for Windows 10 on the lower left side of your screen, there is usually a white box which reads 'Type here to search'. I can no longer type anything there on my desktop or laptop. I now get a black popup that has some apps at the top and other...
  8. Windows 10 Suddenly restarts without warning cont unresolved.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Suddenly restarts without warning cont unresolved.: I seen this post had been previously running and shutdown without resolve by a forum moderator.. I see this issue of pc randomly restarting has been happening since 2015 and is mentioned Microsoft is aware.. but I also see they got people jumping through all kind of hoops...
  9. Have the requirements changed for Windows 10 without warning?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Have the requirements changed for Windows 10 without warning?: I had an issue recently when a piece of software ( a driver down-loader/updater...Driver Pack Solution) dropped Avast Anti virus on my Windows 10 system. I used Revo Uninstall to rid the system of the AV, and the left over items that could not be cleared required a restart....
  10. Change Search Box Text in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Search Box Text in Windows 10: How to: Change Search Box Text in Windows 10 How to Change Search Box Text in Windows 10 Searching from your taskbar makes it easier for you to search the web and Windows. Starting with Windows 10 build 14946, you can change or remove the default Type here to search...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. my windows search changed