Windows 10: My Windows powershell stopped working. Also system restore error

Discus and support My Windows powershell stopped working. Also system restore error in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Okay so today when I was using my Desktop. All of the sudden nothing was working, Youtube wasn't playing any audio, I couldn't bring up task manager,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Redbatman, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Redbatman Win User

My Windows powershell stopped working. Also system restore error

Okay so today when I was using my Desktop. All of the sudden nothing was working, Youtube wasn't playing any audio, I couldn't bring up task manager, etc. So I had to do a shutdown though it had to be a hard shutdown since it wasn't shutting down after a minute.

So to be safe I did a system restore through advanced startup and well it didn't work and it gave me the error 0x80070091 which shocked me and apparently I'm not the only one

System Restore error 0x80070091 - Microsoft Community
    Win 10 System Restore Fail 0x80070091 - Microsoft Community

So yeah should I wait for Microsoft to fix system restore or try it myself?

Also for the Windows Powershell not responding what should I do about that? I already did an SFC Scan and a DISM and both came back good.

:)

Redbatman, Mar 28, 2017
  2. jewelsy15 Win User

New update for windows 10 bugged my computer

I updated my computer 2 days ago, yesterday it worked how it did; today however it is now broken. All of the errors I have received so far are the following:

Start button doesn't work

Windows store isn't working

Some my antivirus are failing to load

Sound stopped playing sound

Microphone stopped working

Attempted system restore failed from a window file

Attempting to check for a windows update through normal settings crashes window.

Some taskbar icons are missing.

A cmd file opens whenever i attempt to do something new

Some startup apps failed

Attempted fixes from cmd and powershell failed

Some commands are missing from cmd and powershell

Some antivirus softwares can't attempt a scan on system

Sound tests pop up with error message

If anyone has a similar error and fixed it, let me know. Otherwise I hope Microsoft release a hotfix for it.

UPDATE: Settings about my system says there are no processors, should I attempt to reseat the cpu to see if that helps?

jewelsy15, Mar 28, 2017
  3. hrayes Win User
    My Windows 10 Startup menu / search icon & store not working and also too much bugs please help me

Me too. I upgraded from Windows 7 home premium. I tried every thing i could, but nothing working.

Please help.

Same as Ali,

suddently,

1- My Startmenu not opening

2- Search icon on task bar not working

3- Left click not working in task bar icon

4- Store and apps are also not opening

UPDATE

when I upgraded, windows worked well, but chrome stopped working. then I installed Chrome, windows 10 stopped working as described above. I could not get windows functions such as restore to work.

I downloaded Glary software (free). it has a function (utilities) that can run the restoration function of windows.

I restored the system to a previous date and stopped trying to install Chrome. My Windows powershell stopped working. Also system restore error :)

if your system worked at the beginning, try to restore it to that date and do not install Chrome because it seems to miss windows.

hrayes, Mar 28, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, there is a very long thread on this forum about 0x80070091, where some have found a solution. However, that's not your major problem.

Given your various symptoms and what you've tried I would suggest an in-place upgrade repair install: there's a chance that may also fix your system restore problem.

Precede it with this in case sthg has happened to your file system:

From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

An In-place upgrade repair install will fix many things, but not those where the settings are not changed by the procedure.

For this you need an installation medium with the same base build as you have installed, and x64 if you have a 64 bits OS, else x86 (32 bits).

You should also make sure there's at least 500Mb of unallocated space on your system disk.

Recommendation:
    Before you perform the following major repair procedure, do create a disk image (see below).

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    - this includes a link from which you can obtain a Windows 10 iso file (" download a Windows 10 ISO"), or create a Win 10 bootable medium.

I would recommend creating the bootable medium, as this can be used
    - for any future in-place upgrade repair install
    - to boot from and use its recovery options should Windows become unbootable.
    - to clean install Windows

This will refresh Windows, after the manner of a Windows installation.
    - all/most associations will be unchanged
    - all your programs will be left installed
    - However: if you have installed some on a 2nd drive, these must be uninstalled or reinstalled on C: - else you will get an error message that you can not keep my apps because they arein an unsupported directory.
    - no personal data should be affected
    - you will lose any custom fonts
    - you will lose any customised system icons
    - you may need to re-establish your Wi-Fi connection
    - you will need to redo Windows updates subsequent to the build you have used for the repair install
    - Windows.old will be created
    - system restore will be turned off- you should turn it on again and I recommend you manually schedule a daily restore point.
    - you will need to redo any language downloads including the display language if you changed that)
    - inactive title bar colouring (if used) will be reset to default
    - if Qttabbar is installed, you need to re-enable it in explorer (Options, check Qttabbar)
    This is one of the better features of Win10: as each major build comes out, that's your updated reference build, and as updates are mostly cumulative, there will be few to do.

Please consider using disk imaging regularly. It's a brilliant way to
    - preserve your system (and your sanity)
    - back up your data
    - restore your system to a previously working state in a relatively short time

Recommended: Macrium Reflect (free/commercial) + boot disk/device + large enough external storage medium.

dalchina, Mar 29, 2017
  5. Redbatman Win User
    Checking file system on C:The type of the file system is NTFS.A disk check has been scheduled.Windows will now check the disk.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ... 658944 file records processed. File verification completed. 21570 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ... 785314 index entries processed. Index verification completed. 0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...Cleaning up 2113 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.Cleaning up 2113 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.Cleaning up 2113 unused security descriptors.Security descriptor verification completed. 63186 data files processed.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal... 976444288 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.No further action is required. 976247807 KB total disk space. 521326028 KB in 470328 files. 275140 KB in 63187 indexes. 0 KB in bad sectors. 1714563 KB in use by the system. 65536 KB occupied by the log file. 452932076 KB available on disk. 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 244061951 total allocation units on disk. 113233019 allocation units available on disk.Internal Info:00 0e 0a 00 47 23 08 00 8a ad 0e 00 00 00 00 00 ....G#..........2a bf 00 00 38 68 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 *...8h..........Windows has finished checking your disk.Please wait while your computer restarts.

Redbatman, Mar 29, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Ok, that's good, so you can proceed with the in-place upgrade repair install if happy to do so.

dalchina, Mar 29, 2017
  7. Redbatman Win User
    Well since it came back good there is no need too right. I did also a system restore last to a restore point I made last night then used it 20 mins after and it worked fine, but it gave me a windows did not shut down properly error strangely. But yeah I'll only use system restore if necessary.

For everything else should I just chalk it up to shit happens?

Redbatman, Mar 29, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Well, there's a surprise... so you're saying now system restore has suddenly started working, and having used a restore point your problems have vanished.

Chkdsk did some minor work:
    Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...Cleaning up 2113 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.Cleaning up 2113 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.Cleaning up 2113 unused security descriptors.Security descriptor verification completed. 63186 data files processed.

But otherwise- who knows?

dalchina, Mar 29, 2017
  9. Redbatman Win User
    Well I remember in another post you said that if you had a bad restore point system restore wouldn't work at all so I deleted all my restore points and made a fresh one manually and it worked.

Also I did another SFC scan and a DISM scan last night and still came back with no issues.

Redbatman, Mar 29, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    This time I think you've been lucky.. so if all is working, if you haven't yet done so, now's the time to start using disk imaging routinely (e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) )+ its boot medium + external storage for images - then should sthg go wrong, you have a good chance of restoring your PC from your image.

Much more comprehensive and reliable than system restore, and applies to data disks/partitions too.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. My Windows powershell stopped working. Also system restore error - Similar Threads - powershell stopped working

2. Windows PowerShell has stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows PowerShell has stopped working: Recently I faced an issue on a Virtual Machine windows server 2012 R2 hosted on Hyper-V, where PowerShell and CMD can't openPlease advise about the solution...
  3. Windows PowerShell has stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows PowerShell has stopped working: Recently I faced an issue on a Virtual Machine windows server 2012 R2 hosted on Hyper-V, where PowerShell and CMD can't openPlease advise about the solution...
  4. Windows System Restore Error

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows System Restore Error: Yesterday my laptop was infected with coos ransomware. All my files were locked and no decryption method will work as a online key is used. My last method is to use system restore but it doesn't work. This is the error I get: https://prnt.sc/wnwqgu When checking system...
  5. After System Restore, my audio isn't working at all. Also can't update Windows.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    After System Restore, my audio isn't working at all. Also can't update Windows.: I made a post earlier that I did a system restore on the computer that went for a long time. Right here After a long time, it finally ended. I thought everything was fine up until I tested out the audio. For some reason, my speakers and headphones aren't showing any audio....
  6. System 2 Error in Powershell

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System 2 Error in Powershell: I was attempting to fix my windows update and my microsoft store, then it come up system 2 error. is there a way to upload my Print screen. i saved it in word. so its a .doc file...
  7. Is my windows powershell also infected?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is my windows powershell also infected?: My friend was using my laptop and he clicked on a microsoft word file and Windows defender said that it was a threat so immediately we scanned it. He did not open the word file and I deleted the word file as well as the stated affected file in windows defender Here's the...
  8. system restore wont stop.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    system restore wont stop.: My laptop win 10 is running system restore for 5 hrs. I fell something is terribly wrong. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-restore-wont-stop/32f5869e-c069-46ab-8cbb-e099346af9f6
  9. Fast startup and system restore stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast startup and system restore stopped working: The system always makes full boot on startup. I tried to restore to a saved point, but it says it could not retrieve saved information. I feel the file system could be broken. How can I fix it? I used checkdisk but it found no errors. 143758
  10. Restoring PowerShell

in Windows 10 Support
    Restoring PowerShell: Is it possible to restore PoweShell if it was uninstalled and if so how? Thanks. 56260