Windows 10: Mysterious 2502 2503 errors when trying to install updates to programs

Discus and support Mysterious 2502 2503 errors when trying to install updates to programs in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; This began with my loss of access to an HP 8610 network printer. No matter what I did, I could not regain access. Two other PCs on my home network... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by TechnoBill, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Mysterious 2502 2503 errors when trying to install updates to programs

This began with my loss of access to an HP 8610 network printer. No matter what I did, I could not regain access. Two other PCs on my home network still access that printer just fine. I uninstalled and reinstalled the printer but still have no ability to print to it. I can even send it a fax and use it to scan, but it refuses to print.

That is where my problem began. Then I tried to update one of the programs that I own, Calibre. When I did, the microsoft installer stopped, first with error 2503 then with 2502. And I said HUH? Same thing happens with a number of other programs. Now, I have been using them and updating them just fine until some time in January. I don't do a lot of printing so it might have been screwed up earlier than mid-January, but that is when I first noticed it.

I run Norton so I did an entire system scan and found nothing. I ran Norton eraser. That found nothing too.

I ran Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool. That found nothing.

I enabled the hidden Administrator account in Windows 10. From there, I could update Calibre. The Microsoft Installer seemed to work just fine. (I am testing this problem using this program as Calibre sends an MSI file to do its update.).

This problem appears to be related to permissions but from here I am lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

TechnoBill, Jan 30, 2016
  2. Zig2010 Win User

Unable to install or Uninstall programs, Error codes: 2502 and 2503.

I have a Dell XPS 8900 that was upgraded from Win 8.x to Win 10 right after I purchased it. I am currently running Win 10 64bit. If I try to uninstall a program like Nero 2016 or install some other program I get an error 2503 and error 2502. Some programs
    I am able to install some not. I made sure I was running in Admin mode and I followed numerous suggestions of checking processes to see what was enabled etc but I still have the problem. Is reimaging my only option?

Original title: I have tried to uninstall and install programs but continue get errors 2503 and 2502

Zig2010, Jan 30, 2016
  3. I'm trying to uninstall Winzip20, but it keeps saying "internal error 2502 and 2503"

I'm trying to uninstall Winzip20, but it keeps saying "internal error 2502 and 2503" I've tried that security scanner, but it didnt help. What can I do to uninstall this program?

beacullen109, Jan 30, 2016
  4. Private Win User

Mysterious 2502 2503 errors when trying to install updates to programs

IMO, it's about UIAccess.

Method 1 via GPO:
    Computer Configurations > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options -> "User Account Control: Only elevate UIAccess applications that are installed in secure locations" to "Disabled".

Method 2 via Registry:
    Code: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System] "EnableSecureUIAPaths"=dword:00000000[/quote]

Private, Jan 30, 2016
  5. snoopy51 Win User
    Not sure exactly what your problem is. A screen capture with snipping tool will be helpful to debug your problem.
    In absence of screen capture and the fact you were able to do the update in Administrator account, my suspicion is that the permission somewhere not in order. Here is one thing you can try:
    Check permissions within the Installer folder. To do this, follow these steps.
    1. Click on File Explorer and drill down to the folder c:\Windows\installer. You may have to unhide system files using the File Explorer Options from your Control Panel to see this folder.
    2. Right click on c: /windows/installer at the top under programs and click properties.
    3. Click on the security tab > Verify if System and Administrator account has Full access permissions.
    4. The Everyone account should have read and execute permissions, List Folder Contents, and Read.

Give it a try and let us know the result.

snoopy51, Jan 30, 2016
  6. Snoopy... tried you suggestions first. Not worked.

Private - Looked through my windows 10 settings but could not find it. Went to regedit. Found the dword set to 1. I edited it to 0.
    right now, that did not work, but I have yet to reboot and try again. I will do that next.

Rebooted. Then I checked the registry key just to make sure that it was still set to 0. It was. Nope. Not fixed. Still getting the dreaded 2503 followed by a 2502. Then installer bails on me.

This one is really kicking my butt all over town.

TechnoBill, Jan 30, 2016
  7. snoopy51 Win User
    The bad news, both fixes did not work.
    The good news, you have a secured system. *Banghead
    Will look at this later, wife want to go to early dinner!

snoopy51, Jan 30, 2016
  8. Private Win User

You need to log into administrative account to make changes from these two methods.

You have to look through the Group Policy Editor. Press Win + R, type in -> gpedit.msc <- hit Enter. Group Policy Editor are only available for Pro and Ent of Windows 10, not in Home edition. For Home, use the Registry method.

To immediate applies this new policy changes, Press Win + X > choose Command Prompt (Admin) > type in -> gpupdate <- hit Enter.

If everything failed, create a new administrative account and use it primarily instead of the normal user account.

Private, Jan 31, 2016
  9. Home Edition. No Group policy editor.

As I stated above, I did use RegEdit to fix the variable
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
    "EnableSecureUIAPaths"

It was set= 1 I reset it to 0. That did not fix the problem.

TechnoBill, Jan 31, 2016
  10. Private Win User
    Try this workaround:

Open Task Manager
    Click on View details
    Right click on Windows Explorer and choose End task
    Click on File and select Run new task
    Type in explorer.exe and tick the checkbox for Create this task with administrative privileges.
    Click OK and exit Task Manager.

Now, test the installation, run it with or without admin rights, see if it works.

Private, Feb 1, 2016
  11. Private,
    Sorry so long getting back. Verizon is killing me. They fix my phone and screw up my internet! AGGGHHH!!!!!

Okay. Enough rant. Sorry.

Tried what you suggested. That did not work.

Also tried - created a whole new user w/ administrator privileges. That didn't work too. But I am going to keep this second user account w/ administrator privileges. It might come in handy.

If I use the real Administrator account... it works.

TechnoBill, Feb 1, 2016
  12. Private Win User
    I began to run out of ideas, sorry to say so.

What if you run the MSI installer as admin? Left click to select the installer and press the combinations of Ctrl+Shift+Enter keys.

How about re-register the Windows Installer? Win + X, choose Command Prompt (Admin), type in the commands as described in the following short article:

How to unregister and then reregister Windows Installer

What is your drive permissions? Refer below:

Error code 2503 Windows 10

Honestly, I can't figure out why is your system become so restrictive.

Private, Feb 2, 2016
  13. Mysterious 2502 2503 errors when trying to install updates to programs

Okay. My ISP still giving me fits and starts. My internet was out for most of yesterday. Today it is not very good but I have it. Sorry to rant but Verizon DSL is crap. I need to get cable.

Both of your references point to articles about unreg / rereg of the msiexec. Did you mean to do that?

Anyway. I copied down your references. My machine is 64-bit HP Envy and windows is 64 bit does that make a difference?

Thank you so much for your help. It is really appreciated.

TechnoBill, Feb 2, 2016
  14. Private Win User
    Oh! Sorry to hear that.

Yes, first do the unregister, then the re-register. It is just to reset the Windows Installer.

Hehe... That's not exactly what I meant. Maybe I've been using an incorrect words (English is not my first language), I was expressing the confusion of what have happened to your Windows 10 and why it not let you pass the installations whereas all of those workaround plus fixes should able to cross the permission boundaries.

You've mentioned earlier about the beginning of this issue, do you remember the date? I've read somewhere (can't find the url... ughh!), this issue arise after installing an update (KB3xxxxxx... sorry, can't give the exact). Please check it, try to uninstall the update.

Private, Feb 2, 2016
  15. I went in and saw -

1/12/2016 KB3124266 Security Update This was the closest one to my suspected trouble point.
    1/6/2016 KB3087040 Update
    1/6/2016 KB3133431 Update

Any one of these could have been it??? Since I rarely use the printer, the problem could have started as early as one of those 1/6 updates and I never would have known. Where should I start uninstalling? With the 1/12 update?

Won't windows then try to re-install what I uninstall?

TechnoBill, Feb 2, 2016
Thema:

1. Mysterious 2502 2503 errors when trying to install updates to programs - Similar Threads - Mysterious 2502 2503

2. Error 2503 and 2502

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error 2503 and 2502: I've been trying to download Minecraft legacy launcher. Whenever I try to install it it will say "The installer has encountered a unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2503." This is so frustrating because...
  3. Error 2503 and 2502

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error 2503 and 2502: I've been trying to download Minecraft legacy launcher. Whenever I try to install it it will say "The installer has encountered a unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2503." This is so frustrating because...
  4. Error 2503 and 2502

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error 2503 and 2502: I get this error 2502, 2503 whenever I try installing any apple software for windows. Outlook told me I need a quicktime plugin to view multimedia messages from email. When I try to install it I get the error. When I tried installing a different plugin from apple once I was...
  5. Error 2503 and 2502

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error 2503 and 2502: I get this error 2502, 2503 whenever I try installing any apple software for windows. Outlook told me I need a quicktime plugin to view multimedia messages from email. When I try to install it I get the error. When I tried installing a different plugin from apple once I was...
  6. Error 2503 and 2502

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Error codes 2503 and 2502 when I try to install programs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Error codes 2503 and 2502 when I try to install programs: Im on windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-codes-2503-and-2502-when-i-try-to-install/5ef51c85-1233-4df6-b232-9b93bd55cd09
  8. Errors 2502 and 2503

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Errors 2502 and 2503: Every time I try installing any program’s installer, I get both the 2502 and 2503 errors. Please help me, I really have to install a lot of applications but I can’t because of this. P.s.: I already tried the temp folder permissions method...
  9. Error 2502 and 2503

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Error 2502 and 2503: Hello. I am trying to unistall a program from my computer (it's called STK 11) and I get these two errors. I've applied every solution I read about, but still the problem remains. What else can I do? Thank you...
  10. Error 2503 & 2502

in Windows 10 Customization
    Error 2503 & 2502: I am trying to install a video player from directv. I never have issues installing software in terms of security. I checked the permissions on the windows installer folder and everyone has full access. I have rebooted several times. This is a new laptop running Windows 10....