Windows 10: Mysterious Command Prompt popups - please help

Discus and support Mysterious Command Prompt popups - please help in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Download: Process Lasso Portable Edition and run. When it happens, open Process Lasso and look in the Action Log to see what was running. The log... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jjensson, Dec 12, 2015.

1. lgentry Win User

Mysterious Command Prompt popups - please help

lgentry, Dec 12, 2015
  2. jjensson Win User

Well, it happened again at 0:00, so it seems to start every 6 hours. But unfortunately Process Lasso did not show anything in the log! Is this strange?

jjensson, Dec 13, 2015
  3. jjensson Win User
    I managed to take a glimpse at the task manager while the popup happened. In the processes tab, sorted by CPU%, at the top was Service Host: Local System (14). I'm switching to Details, maybe it will help narrow it down.

Is it reasonable to say now that a third party process can be excluded as the culprit?

jjensson, Dec 13, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

Process Lasso must be running in the background all the time to log what's going on.

topgundcp, Dec 13, 2015
  5. jjensson Win User
    Oh, it was. The window was open on the left side of my 27" monitor all the time. *Smile
    But strangely, the popup left no trace in the log.

jjensson, Dec 13, 2015
  6. jjensson Win User
    UPDATE: I cought it. Finally. Had to record a video with my DSLR, and even then it lasted only 2 frames at 30fps! *What

Mysterious Command Prompt popups - please help [​IMG]

It's a schtasks.exe, apparently the task scheduler. Albeit i found no such tasks there. Please, can somebody help, i'm going bonkers here... *Confused

jjensson, Dec 14, 2015
  7. jjensson Win User
    Well, well, well... I went full retard in the Task Scheduler and deleted a bunch of stinking MS related spying tasks, and... there we go. No popup anymore. At least i can't reproduce it, all of a sudden.

Since my PC beginnings with win98 i was a tweaking extremist, but in the last years i went easier and easier. Win7 was working more or less out of the box, and i thought that finally Win10 will be so user friendly that no more tweaking and disabling would be necessary. WRONG!

I'm taking my control back! "Turn that shit off" is my motto once more. And yeah, FU MS. *Mad

jjensson, Dec 14, 2015
  8. lgentry Win User

YOU GO BOY/GIRL! Glad your persistence paid off. It would be interesting for everyone to know exactly what scheduled task was causing the problem as this forum is the first place Windows 10 users go to find solutions. You might can find the culprit in the list of scheduled tasks by enabling half of what you disabled and rebooting. Then you could enable the rest a few at a time to narrow it down to the goofy one. Of course you'll have to reboot between changes for the task to take effect.

lgentry, Dec 14, 2015
  9. Sidnyrb Win User
    Hi, I am having these Command prompt pop ups to wish a cleaned hdd and clean install. What tasks did u delete in Task manager? Thanks in advance!

Sidnyrb, Feb 24, 2016
  10. Hwalker1 Win User
    I am having the same problem, and I only updated to Win 10 about a week ago, so I assume I have it othe latest version. Also when I attempt to log into Xbox, an account appears that I know nothing about, never having used Xbox" before. There is also no " lets play " button on the opening Xbox screen. Could these three factors have a single cause?

Hwalker1, Feb 24, 2016
  11. Hwalker1 Win User
    I am having the same problem, and I only updated to Win 10 about a week ago, so I assume I have it othe latest version. Also when I attempt to log into Xbox, an account appears that I know nothing about, never having used Xbox" before. There is also no " lets play " button on the opening Xbox screen. Could these three factors have a single cause?

Hwalker1, Feb 24, 2016
  12. lgentry Win User
    I'm not a gamer so I don't use Xbox but if you're trying to play a game that may be what they're calling a "gamertag" that is automatically generated.
    Read this article to see if it answers any of your questions. http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/0...whats-missing/
    Depending on what you're trying to do you may want to have a look at your default programs. I turned Xbox off and am using Media Player for my music & VLC Media player for videos.

lgentry, Feb 25, 2016
  13. Hwalker1 Win User

Thanks for that info. I just attempted to log in to Xbox to see what it was about. It obviously does not function on my laptop, so I will do as you have and turn it off. Waste of space.
    I also downloaded the old win7 game set, and that works which is all I really wanted.

Hwalker1, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Mysterious Command Prompt popups - please help - Similar Threads - Mysterious Command Prompt

2. Command prompt mysteriously opening up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Command prompt mysteriously opening up.: I have this problem that occurs randomly from what I've seen. This problem is a empty command prompt opens up on my screen then about a few seconds later it closes both my Chrome Web Browser and sometimes Youtube Music if I'm listening to it. I haven't found out what causes...
  3. Command prompt mysteriously opening up.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Command prompt mysteriously opening up.: I have this problem that occurs randomly from what I've seen. This problem is a empty command prompt opens up on my screen then about a few seconds later it closes both my Chrome Web Browser and sometimes Youtube Music if I'm listening to it. I haven't found out what causes...
  4. Help with command prompt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help with command prompt: Someone stopped responding to me on another question so I need an answer quick. I was following a guide in a thread and got stuck after I booted with usb. I’m at a part where I’m in the command prompt and need to enter my user and the net user command but I really have no...
  5. Help with command prompt

Help with command prompt: Someone stopped responding to me on another question so I need an answer quick. I was following a guide in a thread and got stuck after I booted with usb. I’m at a part where I’m in the command prompt and need to enter my user and the net user command but I really have no...
  6. Help with command prompt

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Command Prompt Help Shutdown Command

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Command Prompt Help Shutdown Command: Hi. I need hlepWhenever I use Command Prompt for the shutdown /m command, it doesn't work. When I put in my own device name, it actually works. But when I am shutting down another laptop, it doesn't work. It always says this,The entered computer name is not valid or remote...
  8. Command Prompt Help Shutdown Command

Command Prompt Help Shutdown Command: Hi. I need hlepWhenever I use Command Prompt for the shutdown /m command, it doesn't work. When I put in my own device name, it actually works. But when I am shutting down another laptop, it doesn't work. It always says this,The entered computer name is not valid or remote...
  9. PLEASE HELP SOLVE MYSTERY

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PLEASE HELP SOLVE MYSTERY: For about two months now my Dell Latitude E5570 has been giving me an extremely hard time. Before I get into detail of the issues at hand, I have combed through thread after thread and I can't find any resolution to my problems, or really even something close to what I'm...
  10. Help with mysterious icons please

in Windows 10 Support
    Help with mysterious icons please: [IMG] [/IMG] can anyone please assist with getting rid of these icons now showing on all my pictures , they appeared without me adding them today??? only thing I did was update adblocker plus then this happened your help is appreciated cheers 30590