Windows 10: Mysterious files showing up in file explorer

Discus and support Mysterious files showing up in file explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Running Win 10 anniversary update on new HP all-in-one with a 256GB SSD (C*Smile and a 2TB SATA (D*Smile drive. About three weeks ago I decided to move... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GFO, Feb 17, 2017.

1. GFO
    GFO Win User

Mysterious files showing up in file explorer

Running Win 10 anniversary update on new HP all-in-one with a 256GB SSD (C*Smile and a 2TB SATA (D*Smile drive. About three weeks ago I decided to move all of my data files from C: to the D: drive leaving only OS and program files on C:. I did not permanently delete Documents, Music, Pictures and Video folders from the C: drive. Everything seems to be running fine but I've noticed that in file explorer I keep having random files mysteriously appearing in This PC (current example: in the Documents folder I now have a subfolder named "Adates191" and another named "Bstorage59"). They both contain a bunch of Word, Excel, txt and other weird files that cannot be opened. I also have a file named "astores60" and "xsettingssettings11" in my Windows (C*Smile list, again contain crappy files like my previous example. Finally, in my Data (D*Smile drive I have two new files "Cversion36" and "Whelper148" with the same gibberish as above. If I delete all of them some different ones mysteryiously replace them. What in the world have I done to myself that could have caused this? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

2. Network is not showing up in File Explorer

Phillip Pio,

Would you please walk, step by step, my through how to do what you are suggesting?

Some things I am ok doing because I know how to do it. This I do not know verry well.

Thank you

DennisLong63, Feb 17, 2017
  3. Network is not showing up in File Explorer

I am running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, version 1709, OS Build 16299.192.

This desktop is hardwired to my router.

Ever since the last Windows update, 21 Dec 2017, I have not been able to see the word "Network" in File Explorer.

Mysterious files showing up in file explorer [​IMG]
    How
    do I get Network back in the list??

In Network and Sharing Center the Connections: did show NETGEAR90 before update. When I click on the Network Icon, bottom right, I see Network Connected where I saw NETGEAR90 before update. I clicked on
    Network and Internet Settings which sent me to Settings > Status. Clicked on Network and Sharing Center and get this

The word Network should be NETGEAR90.

Clicked on "Set up a new connection or network" hoping that Windows would find NETGEAR90. Got a box to "Choose the wireless router or access point wanted to configure" and waited for 1/2 hour. Nothing.

This is what my laptop looks like

when I hardwired it to the router. The NETGEAR90 can be seen.

Thank you for the help

DennisLong63, Feb 17, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Do they have an extension what is file size. Are your doc's etc OK I am wondering if you have Ransome ware encrypting files

Samuria, Feb 17, 2017
  5. tcebob Win User
    Pretty sure you have a virus. If you use an Anti-virus program like Avast, run a thorough scan. If not . . . get one. Windows Defender is getting better but the main line programs are excellent. There are lots of comparative reviews on Google. Never install a program before scanning it with your anti-virus and never - ever - turn off the anti-virus while installing a program.

Also, watch carefully while you install a program. Many come with extra goodies which need to be rejected or they will install with the desired program. They may or may not be viruses but if you want one, look it up first.

tcebob, Feb 18, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    A scan with AdwCleaner would likely help too. It doesn't require installing, just download and run.
    Malwarebytes | AdwCleaner

7. GFO
    GFO Win User
    Thanks, everyone for your input and suggestions. I believe I found the culprit. It's a ransomware app ironically called "Ransomfree." See Cybereason: Endpoint Protection, Detection, and Response for details. I tried it at the suggestion of a friend since I recently deleted Spybot Search & Destroy because I could not update to the current version and I wanted to have at least 2 malware tools on hand. He claimed that he uses it because it doesn't require repeated scans, updates, etc. The site looked legit enough so I added it. I was not prepared for the crazy stuff it was doing to file explorer and didn't see it was this app that was apparently causing it. I deleted it and the weird stuff stopped and everything seems back to normal! So, I consider this one solved. In addition to Malwarebytes I have McAfee A/V suite and also do regular scans with MS Malicious Software Removal Tool. I'll give AdwCleaner a try to fill the gap of my second scanning tool. Thanks, again, for the prompt response and suggestions!!

Thema:

1. Mysterious files showing up in file explorer - Similar Threads - Mysterious files showing

2. USB not showing up in file explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB not showing up in file explorer.: This problem has been going on for a while, a 1 TB usb drive that I own suddenly had a problem where it wouldn't appear on my file explorer and I couldn't open it.Yes I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling, it didn't work. What do I do?...
  3. USB not showing up in file explorer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB not showing up in file explorer.: This problem has been going on for a while, a 1 TB usb drive that I own suddenly had a problem where it wouldn't appear on my file explorer and I couldn't open it.Yes I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling, it didn't work. What do I do?...
  4. USB not showing up in file explorer.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Artwork not showing up on File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Artwork not showing up on File Explorer: My File Explorer music files do not show the artwork. I've already made sure the "Always show icons , never thumbnails is Unchecked. I tried a couple other things as well, but no luck. Any suggestions, please?...
  6. Artwork not showing up on File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Artwork not showing up on File Explorer: My File Explorer music files do not show the artwork. I've already made sure the "Always show icons , never thumbnails is Unchecked. I tried a couple other things as well, but no luck. Any suggestions, please?...
  7. Temp files showing up in file explorer

Temp files showing up in file explorer: Hello , I work as an IT for a Cargo Company . Recently some users have reported an issue of temporary files pinned in the file explorer. I tried deleting the temps but it wont let me. I also ran CCleaner and nothing. Have searched the internet but have found no answer to...
  8. Server showing up in File Explorer

Server showing up in File Explorer: I have a server private cloud attached to my PC. Windows 10 Professional. The server doesn't show up under File Explorer. How do I enable that? The computer is used by three people who access the same server; for both their Microsoft accounts, they can see the files in...
  9. Files not showing up with File Explorer

Files not showing up with File Explorer: I open File Explorer to find a file that I knew had been created at the end of March 2019. I went to the location that I was sure I had saved it to. It did not show up. I opened up a separate File Explorer and searched my entire C drive and there were the file that I was...
  10. Mystery drive in File Explorer

Mystery drive in File Explorer: I have a "mystery drive" in the This PC section of File Explorer. It's called EZ and is mapped as the Z: drive. I am baffled by what this is and how it got there. It is *not* something I have installed, at least knowingly. When I click on it to see what is on it, it tells me...