Windows 10: Mysterious green checkmarks on desktop

Discus and support Mysterious green checkmarks on desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In the past week or so, I have noticed that the shortcuts (aliases) on my desktop are being festooned with tiny green checkmarks. For example, last... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by macsrwe, Jan 19, 2017.

1. macsrwe Win User

Mysterious green checkmarks on desktop

In the past week or so, I have noticed that the shortcuts (aliases) on my desktop are being festooned with tiny green checkmarks. For example, last time I started up my Windows VM, I saw:

Mysterious green checkmarks on desktop [​IMG]

Now, just passing my cursor OVER the aliases (not even clicking) made each of the checkmarks (plus some other icons) change to Xs:

Mysterious green checkmarks on desktop [​IMG]

and currently, in a VM which has been running for a couple days, I have neither checkmarks nor Xs on these shortcuts, just the standard little curvy arrow shortcut symbol.

I've Googled the syndrome, and the common response is that this is a Norton Backup artefact. But I have never installed Norton or any other backup (I just backup the whole VM outside Windows). I use MS's Defender anti-virus, and run MalwareBytes Anti-Rootkit in the background — my other anti-viruses are "launch manually to run" types.

Does anybody know what Lassie is trying to tell me, here?

:)

macsrwe, Jan 19, 2017

2. what does a green checkmark signify on my desktop icons

Green checkmarks on my desktop icons. What is the significance?

RobertAlvarez2, Jan 19, 2017
  3. green circles with a checkmark

Hi Jack,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Since when are you facing this issue?

Does the checkmark appear on all the icons?

Did you make any recent changes to the PC?

Do you face any issue when you access those icons?

Are you using any online backup service?

If you are able to access the icons in a normal manner without facing any issues, then it might be the reason that the files and folders of those icons have been backed up to an online backup service.

Method 1: If you have enabled any third party security software/application, disable it temporarily, and check if the issue persist.

DISCLAIMER: Using Third Party Software, including hardware drivers can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of
    Third Party Software can be solved. Using Third Party Software is at your own risk.

Method 2: If the issue persist, perform Clean boot, and check if the issue is resolved.

Putting your system in Clean Boot state will help in identifying any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

Following is a link to perform a Clean Boot:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: Start the computer in normal mode refer the section,
    How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting
    from the link above.

Hope this helps!

Get back to us if you have queries regarding Windows, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you,

Microsoft Community.

Likhitha V, Jan 19, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

What happens when you right click on a blank space on the desktop and select Refresh?

NavyLCDR, Jan 19, 2017
  5. macsrwe Win User
    I'll have to do that next time I see the arrows. They're not there all the time; they're not there now. When they show up, it's just after booting the system, so I'll watch for them and try this.

Unfortunately, making them go away with refresh still wouldn't explain what they are, who put them there, and what they are trying to indicate.

macsrwe, Jan 19, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    They are indicating that something is backing up your desktop to the cloud. Do you have Onedrive set to sync your desktop?

NavyLCDR, Jan 19, 2017
  7. macsrwe Win User
    Unless Onedrive is something that sets itself up in Windows 10, no. I don't even know what Onedrive is, much less activated it. I don't use cloud storage or backup services.

macsrwe, Jan 19, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Any third party anti-virus or anti-malware programs?

NavyLCDR, Jan 19, 2017
  9. macsrwe Win User
    As stated in the first post.

macsrwe, Jan 19, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    It's probably the Malware Bytes indicating it has scanned those files.

NavyLCDR, Jan 19, 2017
  11. macsrwe Win User
    I'll check it out. It would have to be the Anti-Exploit (which I was just reminded is the "new" name for the old Anti-Rootkit) because it's the only one that runs automatically. The other one has to be started manually, and these arrows only appear at boot time.

macsrwe, Jan 19, 2017
  12. Tonyb Win User
    Norton does this if you have that.

Tonyb, Jan 19, 2017
  13. macsrwe Win User

Malwarebytes says their products do not do this. And I have never had Norton, or any other AV other than the ones I posted in the OP.

macsrwe, Jan 20, 2017
  14. jeffgoin Win User
    Carbonite is another backup program that uses these exact green check marks if the "mark files" setting is on.

jeffgoin, Oct 1, 2017
  15. Think Knowhow Cloud does this also if you have this. (UK Cloud Program for PCWORLD)

kingtez1984, Oct 3, 2017
Thema:

1. Mysterious green checkmarks on desktop - Similar Threads - Mysterious green checkmarks

2. Green Checkmarks on desktop icons but only on shortcuts and exes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Green Checkmarks on desktop icons but only on shortcuts and exes: it looks like this i don't have onedrive so it confuses me why it's here is this a cause for concern ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/green-checkmarks-on-desktop-icons-but-only-on/929f658c-38ba-4fc1-ba25-bdb8c40bf031
  3. Green Checkmarks on desktop icons but only on shortcuts and exes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Green Checkmarks on desktop icons but only on shortcuts and exes: it looks like this i don't have onedrive so it confuses me why it's here is this a cause for concern ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/green-checkmarks-on-desktop-icons-but-only-on/929f658c-38ba-4fc1-ba25-bdb8c40bf031
  4. Green Checkmarks on desktop icons but only on shortcuts and exes

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. green checkmarks not visible

in Windows 10 Customization
    green checkmarks not visible: hello. why are the "green checkmarks" disappeared on the OneDrive and Windows Update Settings? Usually the green checkmarks can be seen on the upper right corner of the Settings Home screen....
  6. weird green checkmarks on short icons on the desktop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    weird green checkmarks on short icons on the desktop: hey all you experts, yet another strange issue I think I've found with microsoft's wonderful windows technology it seems like. here's what I've got: this weirdness has now started occurring today, after a previous bout of weirdness happened to me last week, which is...
  7. Green Checkmarks/ Ticks on desktop icons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Green Checkmarks/ Ticks on desktop icons: Since I have got my laptop, I have noticed green checkmarks on the desktop icons. These are irritating. I know this is regarding OneDrive but how to remove them?...
  8. one of my desktop shortcuts has a green checkmark, why ?

in Windows 10 Support
    one of my desktop shortcuts has a green checkmark, why ?: As the title says. It happens to only one of many shortcuts I have on the desktop. Wonder why and how do I fix that? I have tried restart. That did not fix it. I have only Windows Defender. No other av program installed. [img] 112918
  9. Green Checkmark on my apps icons on desktop !?

in Windows 10 Support
    Green Checkmark on my apps icons on desktop !?: I just saw that there was a green check mark on some of the application icons on my desktop! Never seen this before! And then suddenly gone! Anyone knows what this is? 13425
  10. Green Checkmarks next to desktop icons on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Green Checkmarks next to desktop icons on Windows 10: I got a new computer running Windows 10, when I got it, it had these green checkmarks. I don't have Norton so that cant be the problem. Please help. [img] 103789