Windows 10: Mysterious performance lag from time to time

Discus and support Mysterious performance lag from time to time in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi all I have been experiencing this weird performance lag from time to time. Please see the screencast: https://lambda.sx/H6r.mp4 At the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by mcored, Dec 17, 2016.

1. mcored Win User

Mysterious performance lag from time to time

Hi all
    I have been experiencing this weird performance lag from time to time.

Please see the screencast: https://lambda.sx/H6r.mp4

At the beginning, you will see my attempt to drag the Task Manager to the recording area but laptop is too busy doing something so Task Manager drag did not respond.

You will also see lag when clicking each tab in Task Manager.

CPU usage seems fine.
    Memory usage seems fine.

I just can't figure out what the problem is.

What could it be?

Thanks
    Michael

:)

mcored, Dec 17, 2016

2. LONG Lag Time For Windows to "wake up"

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

Method 1:

Try to run the System Maintenance troubleshooter, the steps are mentioned below:

1. Type ‘Troubleshooting’ in the search bar and press Enter.

2. Click on ‘View all’ on the left panel of the ‘Troubleshooting’ window.

3. Click on ‘System Maintenance' and follow on the screen instruction.

Method 2:

I suggest you to refer the suggestions from the following article.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2681286

Registry disclaimer

To do so: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For
    added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft
    Knowledge Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/en-us

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Method 3:

I also suggest you to refer the suggestions from the following article.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/improve-performance-optimizing-hard-drive

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Dec 17, 2016
  3. Tim S08 Win User
    LONG Lag Time For Windows to "wake up"

I've been running Win10 since about April last year. Recently, I've noticed that when I wake windows up, there is all too often an extremely long lag time before any of the apps start responding. My cursor works fine, and I can tell that windows recognized
    that I've clicked on an icon, but there is zero response from the app I'm trying to open - sometimes up to 5 minutes. I can walk away and do something else for a while, and then come back and I'll notice that apps have opened. Depending on how impatient
    I was, there could be several instances of that application. This is not only opening new apps, but trying to get a new tab on a browser, open a new email, start the task manager, etc.

This is annoying to say the least. What makes it worse is that I'm taking online training classes, and I often cannot start up where I left off without having to wait.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Tim S08, Dec 17, 2016
  4. Edwin New Member

@mcored , welcome to tenforums.com! *Smile
    I don't know how much RAM you have or how dedicated it is, but, looking at your system tray, you've got a lot going on there, not to mention, your screen recording app, a huge resource hog, which makes your screencast vid a little biased! *Wink

Edwin, Dec 17, 2016
  5. Cliff S New Member
    @Edwin his machine has more than enough RAM, and in the video, the potential recourses are not even being touched, it must be something else*Confused.

Mysterious performance lag from time to time [​IMG]

@mcored welcome to Ten Forums,
    the video shows your user account, so unless that is only an alias(throw away) account, you might want to consider taking it down and redoing it or at least pixelating the account(under the users tab).

My question: are you using a hard disk or an SSD?
    AHCI or IDE set in BIOS?

I ask because like I said above your RAM & CPU resources are hardly even being touched, so too much going on can't be the reason:

Mysterious performance lag from time to time [​IMG]

Have you tried another mouse?
    Have you checked it's sensitivity settings?

Cliff S, Dec 17, 2016
  6. mcored Win User
    Hi Cliff S, thank you! That's indeed just a temporary account.

I used to have 2 x SSD (Samsung Evo 950). I think the problem was the existing version of NVIDIA video card drivers.
    For others, if you have a similar issue, I would ask to consider updating the video card drivers. Problem appears to have disappeared (for now).

mcored, Feb 25, 2017
  7. Cliff S New Member
    Glad to hear it was solved(hopefully permanently)*Smile

Cliff S, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Mysterious performance lag from time to time - Similar Threads - Mysterious performance lag

2. Inconsistent PC Performance and Lagging At Times

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Inconsistent PC Performance and Lagging At Times: So my main desktop PC that I use for studying and some gaming nothing too much has been acting slow. I always ensure it is up to date including all drivers and software. It has a 2TB HDD that I have only used about 200gb of space on. In the Task Manager all seems normal but...
  3. Inconsistent PC Performance and Lagging At Times

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Inconsistent PC Performance and Lagging At Times: So my main desktop PC that I use for studying and some gaming nothing too much has been acting slow. I always ensure it is up to date including all drivers and software. It has a 2TB HDD that I have only used about 200gb of space on. In the Task Manager all seems normal but...
  4. Inconsistent PC Performance and Lagging At Times

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Mysterious System Lag

Mysterious System Lag: Dear Tech Sages,I hope this plea reaches you amidst the harmonious hum of efficient systems. Unfortunately, I find myself in the midst of a digital labyrinth, and I'm reaching out to the tech virtuosos of this community for some much-needed guidance.The Techno-Trouble: My...
  6. Mysterious System Lag

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mysterious System Lag: Dear Tech Sages,I hope this plea reaches you amidst the harmonious hum of efficient systems. Unfortunately, I find myself in the midst of a digital labyrinth, and I'm reaching out to the tech virtuosos of this community for some much-needed guidance.The Techno-Trouble: My...
  7. Time Lagging Behind

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Time Lagging Behind: My gaming pc's clock is laging behind. I have already tried replacing the cmos battery and that didn't help. What should I try next? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/time-lagging-behind/b36d477f-d922-43c2-b812-2c3a907d580e
  8. Time Lagging Behind

Time Lagging Behind: My gaming pc's clock is laging behind. I have already tried replacing the cmos battery and that didn't help. What should I try next? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/time-lagging-behind/b36d477f-d922-43c2-b812-2c3a907d580e
  9. Time Lagging Behind

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. Mystery Lag/Stuttering

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mystery Lag/Stuttering: My windows 10 computer experiences random lag/stuttering that I have been unable to fix. It manifests in games, google chrome, using Windows Media player, right now as I just typed this, file explorer, etc. I have tried reinstalling my operating system, which did not help. I...