Windows 10: Mystery activities inside Windows.old

Discus and support Mystery activities inside Windows.old in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; On Oct22 I updated 1703 to 1709 and windows.old was created, as expected. 20gig. I did not get rid of it yet - just watching for it disappearing in 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 91fw, Nov 7, 2017.

1. 91fw Win User

Mystery activities inside Windows.old

On Oct22 I updated 1703 to 1709 and windows.old was created, as expected. 20gig.
    I did not get rid of it yet - just watching for it disappearing in 10 days, but it's still here.

Now, things get insteresting: Yesterday I noticed there is stuff written to it on Nov4.
    2 directories: Software distribution and in system32/driverstore/filerepository with 25 files.

Today, Nov7, filerepository vanished. And Software distribution has 19 files.
    So much for a static state of windows.old. That's a mystery to me.
    What's going on? If I wanted (I don't) to revert back to 1703 - how can that be done when it changes?

:)

91fw, Nov 7, 2017
  2. shillog Win User

"old Windows" files

I chanced upon this while searching for Windows.old

Are the 3 steps applicable to Insider Previews as well?

As an Insider, with the latest build in my system, I wonder what is stored in Windows.old. Is it the previous Insider Preview Build, or the original/standard Windows 10?

shillog, Nov 7, 2017
  3. Windows 10 upgrade deleted all my old files! Hundreds of gigabytes!

Usually, Windows does create Windows.old 1 , Windows.old 2 but this holds for Insider builds only-Not sure of Windos7-8-10 though.

Have you searched for the files in Windows.old?

Sumit Dhiman2, Nov 7, 2017
  4. Phone Man Win User

I have a bunch of Software distribution files in my Window.old also. All the other stuff has been erased so no going back.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Nov 7, 2017
  5. 91fw Win User
    Did you erase other files or did Windows do it?
    And WHY would they write into a directory that's supposed to be for going back to pre-1709 state?

91fw, Nov 7, 2017
  6. Phone Man Win User
    Windows did it. I just happen to check it one day as I was expecting it to disappear.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Nov 7, 2017
  7. 91fw Win User
    Thanks. Interesting that Windows did it.
    Still watching this madness.
    My windows.old is still here, and still has 19 files added Nov4 -
    C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\f875fbb4cab0384277a81aa667874b95

91fw, Nov 8, 2017
  8. Pirx Win User

Most likely what you are seeing is due to the use of hard links for some of the system files. When files with hard links are updated, all of the linked instances appear updated (of course, since a hard link is simply an additional filesystem reference pointing to a single file). If files that Windows currently uses and actively updates have hard links into Windows.old, it appears as if files in that folder have been updated (which they have, in a sense).

Pirx, Nov 8, 2017
  9. Phone Man Win User
    Yesterday I did a Disk Cleanup on C: and it removed Windows.old.
    I have Macrium images if I ever have to go back.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Nov 9, 2017
  10. 91fw Win User
    Windows cleared the contents of windows.old today. It's no longer 20GB.
    The stuff that remained are 19 software distribution folders, 1.7GB, from Build 16299.15 of the first 1709 job.
    I followed the directory and file dates back to the initial 1709 build, which, soon after got replaced by Build 16299.19.
    So at least I know what happened. Why they modified Windows.old on Nov4 I will never know.
    Anyway, today I ran disk cleanup and it's now gone.
    I, too, have images so I needed windows.old like a hole in the head.

11. EdTittel Win User
    I saw this earlier this year on some upgrades when, for whatever reason, the current runtime kept insisting on using drivers from the Windows.old folder tree rather than the new environment. The only way I was able to fix it was to boot to the install media, run the repair option, go to the command line, and then forcibly delete the Windows.old contents. I had to start from the bottom of the file hierarchy and work my way to the root level, BTW, to get everything removed. If all else fails, that's always an option.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Nov 9, 2017
  12. 91fw Win User
    Ed, That's interesting. In post #6 Pirx said something similar to what you just wrote.
    I didn't have to go through the hoops you described. Disk cleanup seems to have taken care of deleting. I rebooted, and so far no issues. Of course I won't know for sure till the next patch tuesday if windows will want to see those downloaded updates in windows.old. I suspect nothing will happen.

Thema:

1. Mystery activities inside Windows.old - Similar Threads - Mystery activities inside

2. insider activation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    insider activation: i need to activate windows 10 have vista key,did clean install with key skipped. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/insider-activation/cb99bcd8-11ee-4768-b4b9-ab84658be926
  3. Windows Insider Preview Activation

Windows Insider Preview Activation: Hey, I'm hoping this is the best place to post this. I was part of the original insider preview development cycle 2014? for Windows 10 which I had installed on a new desktop I built. I vaguely remember at the time that for anyone who was part of pre-release of the original...
  4. Windows old inside a windows old?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows old inside a windows old?: Hi, I have done two reboots, since I got my laptop. When I got my laptop it was on Windows 7, then I did a reboot, to Windows 7 also... And then I did another reboot to Windows 10.. But in both reboots I didn't delete the partitions, and windows created a windows.old carpet....
  5. Activation FOR insider

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activation FOR insider: I am using windows insider for sometime, I thought it's free. but currently I am seeing "your windows is not activated go to settings to activate it" So in short I'm asking windows 10 is free for insiders or not? (if i have not have any key of windows ever) If it isn't...
  6. Windows 10 - Mysterious Hard Drive Activity

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 - Mysterious Hard Drive Activity: I recently upgraded to a new Windows 10 Pro desktop PC. It contains 1 SSD for the system drive (about 1 third full), and 2 large capacity mechanical HDDs. I also have 2 external HDDs connected via USB. Apart from the SSD, all drives are from Western Digital. What has...
  7. Windows Insider preview Activation

Windows Insider preview Activation: I am a windows Insider using windows Insider Preview of windows 10 on a system where windows 10 was not installed. It is telling me to activate Windows where using of these builds was free and it is also not letting me personalise Windows. This is preventing me to check new...
  8. activating Windows Insider

activating Windows Insider: My Windows was activated as a Windows Insider. Just had to get a new motherboard (and CPU and RAM). Booted up the machine, and my Windows isn't activated (signed in with the same Microsoft account). How do I get my Windows activated as an Insider again?...
  9. Windows 10 Pro (10586.11) mysteriously became Not Activated

Windows 10 Pro (10586.11) mysteriously became Not Activated: My Windows 10 Pro (10586.11) mysteriously became Not activated this morning after returning from sleep. First, I tried restarting my computer which ended up in limbo. It really never completed restarting and it became stuck waiting for Shutdown. Finally had to hard restart...
  10. Help Please with a Win10 Activation Mystery

Help Please with a Win10 Activation Mystery: Hi There, I am now stumped .............. Background: 1) Have previously upgraded & dumped a Win7_64 Ult [SlicBios] into Win10_64 Pro and achieved successful online activation. 2) Following 1) & starting with a 'fresh' {OFFLINE} install of W10_64 Pro, whereby I...