Windows 10: Mystery Hard drive

Discus and support Mystery Hard drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; 1 TB hard drive had approximately 750 GB in use. Made an image of the 1 TB hard drive. Installed the image on a new 2 TB hard drive and now it shows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Clockman, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Clockman Win User

Mystery Hard drive

1 TB hard drive had approximately 750 GB in use.
    Made an image of the 1 TB hard drive.
    Installed the image on a new 2 TB hard drive and now it shows only 488 GB in use.
    No, the new hard drive is not showing any compression being used.
    All programs, data, pictures and music all seem to be on the drive.
    Nothing is missing that we know of.
    Any Suggestions or comments?

:)

Clockman, Feb 19, 2018

2. Mystery "Data" partition on hard drive

Mystery Hard drive [​IMG]
    Hello,

I am using a laptop with a 256GB Hard drive on it, but the hard drive has a partition on it decided to seemingly nothing. When I look in computer management, it shows two large partitions(and a third recovery partition). One of them is the C: drive with
    93GB, but the other one is labeled "Data", and it has 127GB. The "Data" partition, however, appears to not be used for anything, and windows explorer doesn't show anything - even when hidden files are shown.

So, what can I do to reclaim my hard drive space? Can I delete the Data partition and expand the C: drive? If so how?

If not, what options do I have?

Notes: I am using an Asus laptop, and I reset it yesterday to clear off junk.

Thanks!

FelisPhasma, Feb 19, 2018
  3. Mystery "Data" partition on hard drive

Hi Felis,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Kindly reply:

1. Did you create this partition?

If the partition is not empty, kindly save all the data to a safe place, I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

1. Right-click on the partition (in your case, Data) and select
    Delete Volume.

2. When the prompt appears click Yes.

3. The partition will now display as Unallocated.

4. Now, right-click on C: Drive and select Extend Volume.

5. Click on Next. If you wish to extend all the unallocated partition to C: drive, then click
    Next otherwise next to select the amount of space in MB
    text box type in the space (in MB) to merge with C: drive.

6. Click on Finish.

Note: This method will only work if your "Data" partition was created from C: Drive.

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Feb 19, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

Mystery Hard drive

Different sector size!!

Samuria, Feb 19, 2018
  5. Plankton Win User
    Isn't the image that is made compressed? What software did you use to make the image?

Plankton, Feb 19, 2018
  6. CountMike New Member
    Which program did you use for backup and did you back up all partitions ? Macrium Reflect can make images 25% smaller than source, some goes to compression and some to empty space optimization.

CountMike, Feb 19, 2018
  7. Word Man Win User
    Please clarify - does "installed the image on" = "restored the image to" ?

Word Man, Feb 19, 2018
  8. Clockman Win User

Mystery Hard drive

I should explain why I was making a image in place of just copying disk to disk. The person I was doing this for wanted 2 computer identical. I made the image and let him take his original back and I then restored the image to the new computer and updated windows with a new product key. Check that all the programs would work, installed a wireless internet system for him and check that all was working as it should.

Different Sector Size did not cross my mind, Something to check.

Isn't the image that is made compressed? What software did you use to make the image? Yes, but it expands when restored to the new drive. I use a program called disk_image to make the image and restore.

Which program did you use for backup and did you back up all partitions ? Macrium Reflect can make images 25% smaller than source, some goes to compression and some to empty space optimization. The original Hard Drive only had 2 partitions (System Reserve & Windows [C:\]). As I mention above I used disk_image. I have used this program (Updated) for many years and have had no problems.

Please clarify - does "installed the image on" = "restored the image to" ? Make an image from original Disk to a external hard disc and then restore the image to a new Hard Drive

Clockman, Feb 20, 2018
  9. CountMike New Member
    I use Macrium Redlect free to make full disk images, I also happen to have EAsus ToDo Backup home (it was a free license from a while ago) but is much slower than MR.

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Mystery Hard drive

1. Mystery Hard drive - Similar Threads - Mystery Hard drive

2. One Drive Mysteries

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One Drive Mysteries: Maybe its because I didn't get a good nights sleep, but I can't figure out how to insure a folder on my PC is also on OneDrive.I'm not even sure if I am using the correct language.I have a One Drive account. It shows up in File Explorer. I want to make sure all the documents...
  3. Mystery folder /drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mystery folder /drive: I went to create a restore point and seen this Folder/Drive. What is it and how do I get rid of it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mystery-folder-drive/6291c511-c9bd-49fc-a9a2-6e4818b60be3
  4. Unknown and mysterious files found while exploring hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Unknown and mysterious files found while exploring hard drive: Hi there, I wasn't sure where to post this so I just posted it here. So a little while ago I was browsing my hard drive looking for stuff to get rid of when I came across four surface-level files by the names of "82aatransfers134", "82abtransfer188", "Xselect95", and...
  5. Windows 10 - Mysterious Hard Drive Activity

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 - Mysterious Hard Drive Activity: I recently upgraded to a new Windows 10 Pro desktop PC. It contains 1 SSD for the system drive (about 1 third full), and 2 large capacity mechanical HDDs. I also have 2 external HDDs connected via USB. Apart from the SSD, all drives are from Western Digital. What has...
  6. Mystery drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Mystery drive: Available drives \\?\Volumes(22100F1af1f9-4a2d92. That is an extra drive that is showing. It shows protection settings off for also. And I noticed the shared PC account manager shows catastrophic failure. Can anyone help me out with this....
  7. Mysterious Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mysterious Drive: Installed Windows 10 Enterprise for my company. User logs in and when he open This PC he notices a mysterious drive (M) with a Blue Question mark over the drive. Right clicking on the drive and choosing properties reveals nothing but folder properties. A Google Search...
  8. Mysterious Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Mysterious Drive: Installed Windows 10 Enterprise for my company. User logs in and when he open This PC he notices a mysterious drive (M) with a Blue Question mark over the drive. Right clicking on the drive and choosing properties reveals nothing but folder properties. A Google Search...
  9. Mystery Drive Appeared

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mystery Drive Appeared: I have a Local Disc drive appeared on my system, System(Z) 356 MB capacity, 85.5MB used space,Fat 32 file system,if I click on Hardware it shows a CD Rom drive,can anyone offer any advice? 48949
  10. Recovery Drive Mystery

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Recovery Drive Mystery: I prepared a large capacity USB flash drive formatted with NTFS ready to create a Recovery Drive. The first two attempts took a long time before reporting there was a problem. The third attempt also took a long time but everything looked like it had worked OK. However, when I...