Windows 10: Mystery icon

Discus and support Mystery icon in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. Can anyone tell me what this icon is for? (Top-right) [img] All the others shown, when mouse-over (hover) present some text info but this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by finlay, Jan 22, 2016.

1. finlay Win User

Mystery icon

Hi. Can anyone tell me what this icon is for? (Top-right)

Mystery icon [​IMG]

All the others shown, when mouse-over (hover) present some text info but this icon nothing. I've tried left-click, double-click, right-click ... nothing.

T.I.A.
    *Smile

:)

finlay, Jan 22, 2016

2. Mystery icons

The one on the right looks like an indicator to tell you if your FnLock is on or off, probably from the maker of your laptop (since that's not part of Windows and only laptop makers usually add in software that does that).

The 9 icon, I'm not sure but it's possibly related (maybe an indicator for "numLock" by chance?)

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jan 22, 2016
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Mystery icons

When you rest your mouse pointer on an icon, does a small explanation pop up? (The technical name for that is a tool tip.)

BulldogXX, Jan 22, 2016
  4. Edwin New Member

Mystery icon

Looks like the Lock Portrait or Landscape Mode icon.

Depending on your machine, it could be a glitch.

Edwin, Jan 23, 2016
  5. It looks like a briefcase
    How long has it been on there
    Have you tried uninstalling it

hTconeM9user, Jan 23, 2016
  6. PJLLB Win User
    Check your startup items in Task Manager. What you're seeing might be something loading at startup.

PJLLB, Jan 23, 2016
  7. finlay Win User
    These are my startup items, I don't think its one of them.

Mystery icon [​IMG]

I also thought it might be 'Location' services but its not quite the same.
    Since it doesn't seem to do anything, its just an irritation not knowing what it is.

finlay, Jan 23, 2016
  8. Word Man Win User

Mystery icon

@finlay -

That's a toggle indicator for what your function keys do. Try doing Fn-Esc and you will see it toggle.

In one state (lock symbol but without the little round symbol in upper right) you get only the F1 through F12 functionality unless you press Fn first - in which case you then get the other marked multimedia function.

In the other state (with the lock symbol having little round symbol upper right), you get the multimedia key functionality without pressing Fn but then have to press Fn to get the F1 through F12 functions.

If you disable the item named "QuickSet" in startup, you'll find the Mystery Icon gone.

EDITED - confused myself a little and edited - believe I have it correct now - in any event you'll get the idea and be able to choose which state you prefer.*Smile

When I hover over the icon, I get the text "Multimedia key".

Word Man, Jan 23, 2016
  9. finlay Win User
    Thanks Word Man, spot on *Thumbs

finlay, Jan 23, 2016
  10. Word Man Win User
    You're welcome, finlay.*Smile

Word Man, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Mystery icon

1. Mystery icon - Similar Threads - Mystery icon

2. HOME icon functionality and redundancy. HOME is still a mystery to me.....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HOME icon functionality and redundancy. HOME is still a mystery to me.....: 1. Research says it is the new name for Quick Access. What I don't undersatnd is it's inherit redundancy. My Quick Access Icons appear just under home. One mouse click and I'm done. Now the plan is I must look at the items in Quick Access all day but I'm supposed to do an...
  3. HOME icon functionality and redundancy. HOME is still a mystery to me.....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HOME icon functionality and redundancy. HOME is still a mystery to me.....: 1. Research says it is the new name for Quick Access. What I don't undersatnd is it's inherit redundancy. My Quick Access Icons appear just under home. One mouse click and I'm done. Now the plan is I must look at the items in Quick Access all day but I'm supposed to do an...
  4. Mystery: Taskbar Icons contains uninstalled apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mystery: Taskbar Icons contains uninstalled apps: I have a mystery and am wondering if it can be cleared/cleaned.In my Settings -> Personalization -> Taskbar -> Select which icons appear on the taskbarI have 3 applications which were uninstalled and yet still appear in this list. I do realize it's not causing problems, I...
  5. Mystery: Taskbar Icons contains uninstalled apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mystery: Taskbar Icons contains uninstalled apps: I have a mystery and am wondering if it can be cleared/cleaned.In my Settings -> Personalization -> Taskbar -> Select which icons appear on the taskbarI have 3 applications which were uninstalled and yet still appear in this list. I do realize it's not causing problems, I...
  6. Mystery: Taskbar Icons contains uninstalled apps

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. How do I get rid of this icon? They mysteriously appeared on everything under C drive. (...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I get rid of this icon? They mysteriously appeared on everything under C drive. (...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/BACKSTABERRR [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l2imni/how_do_i_get_rid_of_this_icon_they_mysteriously/
  8. Mystery try icons appeared, point cursor at them, they disappear...

in Windows 10 Support
    Mystery try icons appeared, point cursor at them, they disappear...: Dear All: i have these mysterious tray icons appearing (top left corner, top row, the left three icons). windows 10, 64. i looked at my start up list on the task manager, none match these icons. two of the icons are the same (left most two on the top row): white/grey, wiht...
  9. Mystery try icons appeared, point cursor at them, they disappear...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Mystery try icons appeared, point cursor at them, they disappear...: Dear All: i have these mysterious tray icons appearing top left corner, top row, the left three icons. i looked at my start up list on the task manager, none match these icons. two of the icons are the same left most two on the top row: white/grey, wiht a bit of blue on...
  10. Mystery try icons appeared, point cursor at them, they disappear...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mystery try icons appeared, point cursor at them, they disappear...: Dear All: i have these mysterious tray icons appearing top left corner, top row, the left three icons. i looked at my start up list on the task manager, none match these icons. two of the icons are the same left most two on the top row: white/grey, wiht a bit of blue on...