Windows 10: mystery keyboard shortcut activates Sleep without prompt

Discus and support mystery keyboard shortcut activates Sleep without prompt in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Let me preface this with yes I did google and searched on this forum and no I couldn't find anything that seemed to fit this issue. I tried Alt+F4 and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by scriptrix, Aug 8, 2016.

1. scriptrix Win User

mystery keyboard shortcut activates Sleep without prompt

Let me preface this with yes I did google and searched on this forum and no I couldn't find anything that seemed to fit this issue. I tried Alt+F4 and that was not the same result.

When the issue occurred, I was playing a game and within the game there is a debug on/off keyboard shortcut (CTRL+something, a number I think). Anyway, I went to turn off the debug mode by hitting CTRL+number until I found the right key and it went away. But twice, just today (curiously after the latest Lenovo power driver update) I hit more than two keys at once (I know I did) and the computer immediately went to sleep but did not close any programs, so it was just a normal Sleep. Waking up, everything was fine.

I have no idea what key combo I hit.
    It had to have been CTRL + maybe Shift and a number or F# button, 6/F6 or below. There is no obvious "alt" symbols on any F key to indicate such a shortcut.

What I really need to know is, where is there a master list of keyboard short cuts, and how can I remove this one? I don't like the idea of sending my computer into a "hard sleep" without any prompt at random when I so easily hit a wrong key.... twice... in one day....

Anyway, thanks to anyone who knows what's up. I might bring Lenovo support into this, if it's not a Windows thing.

:)

scriptrix, Aug 8, 2016

2. Laptop only goes to sleep after a button pressed for the second time

ASUS K53SD with enabled "Instant On" function. This function
    is to ensure that the usb ports
    and touchpad are disabled after the laptop
    went to sleep. In Windows 8.1, 8 and 7
    laptop goes to sleep after a one press
    keyboard shortcut fn + f1. In windows
    10, I have to press twice.
    The same situation happens when I click
    the menu item "sleep". In Ubuntu
    everything works without problems

Emil Alasgarov, Aug 8, 2016
  3. keyboard issue (w10-Sp2)

hi,

i recently noticed that i can't switch keyboard types.

- my shortcut key in the lower right corner of visual kb is inactive...

- i've tried everything i could in the parameters without success.

- i also ended up adding a shortcut to full keyboard in the taskbar...

- when login in, the full keyboard is greyed out, but not the separated keyboard.

-i can't switch languages either, the shortcut icon has disappeared as well, i've checked the option it's activated.

can anyone help please ?

JulienBriand, Aug 8, 2016
  4. scriptrix Win User

Update: it was Fn+Shift+4

scriptrix, Aug 21, 2016
  5. wyldman68 Win User
    wyldman68, Aug 21, 2016
  6. scriptrix Win User
    I dunno. This is a fresh win10 install and I don't have the file this article mentions. I did just now do an install via the lenovo website but it changed nothing.

I've never had power issues once proper, updated drivers were installed. I have none of the problems others have online (like battery conservation). It really seems to be a Lenovo/windows bad hotkey combo. I'll just ask Lenovo support about it.

scriptrix, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. mystery keyboard shortcut activates Sleep without prompt - Similar Threads - mystery keyboard shortcut

2. Sleep Shortcut on Keyboard is Buggy

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep Shortcut on Keyboard is Buggy: This is an interesting issue, and as I'd normally troubleshoot myself and fix the problem, this one has me stumped.Basically, I'll premise this with the idea that there are two ways to put a desktop to sleep:Option 1: Assigning a button via Windows settingsOption 2: Going to...
  3. Sleep Shortcut on Keyboard is Buggy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep Shortcut on Keyboard is Buggy: This is an interesting issue, and as I'd normally troubleshoot myself and fix the problem, this one has me stumped.Basically, I'll premise this with the idea that there are two ways to put a desktop to sleep:Option 1: Assigning a button via Windows settingsOption 2: Going to...
  4. Sleep Shortcut on Keyboard is Buggy

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Mysterious Shortcut Behavior

in Windows 10 Support
    Mysterious Shortcut Behavior: I use the free version of EssentialPIM, which has a series of assigned keyboard shortcuts, of which I use only Ctrl+Shft+S and Ctrl-Shft-T. A while ago, needing to see the calendar, I used Ctrl-Shft-S, which as has been true for quite some time, brought up the calendar. When...
  6. Keyboard shortcuts to paste without installing app

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keyboard shortcuts to paste without installing app: I'm looking for ways to paste commonly used phrases. It's for my work computer, so I can't install an app. At the moment I have some phrases pinned in the clipboard, but I would prefer to not have to scroll through the options there. I had found instructions online for...
  7. Display active keyboard shortcuts?

in Windows 10 Support
    Display active keyboard shortcuts?: Is there a way to display currently active shortcuts? Windows certainly must know what they are. I know there are many documents online that list the common, or maybe all, standard Windows shortcuts. but those documents cannot know what shortcuts have been overridden by...
  8. Keyboard Shortcuts Mysteriously Stop Working

Keyboard Shortcuts Mysteriously Stop Working: Ctrl + f and ctrl + d sometimes mysteriously stop working for me (I notice this in Edge/Google Docs). I have no idea what triggers this. At this point restarting the machine solves the problem, but it's bound to come back. Any ideas? submitted by /u/daygot [link]...
  9. How to activate Touch Keyboard by a shortcut?

How to activate Touch Keyboard by a shortcut?: I'm trying to make a button on my lenovo pen activate the touch keyboard (NOT the on-screen keyboard). I know tabtip.exe is the program in question, but running it does nothing. I've tried modifying it in regedit, but that does nothing. I found some small programs that claim...
  10. Hotkeys or desktop keyboard (not TypePad) shortcut for SLEEP

in Windows 10 Support
    Hotkeys or desktop keyboard (not TypePad) shortcut for SLEEP: Win 10. Using Sleep button on my HP desktop keyboard works fine. WIN 10 On my Surface (SP3), using Logitech K740 illuminated keyboard with Docking station. No obvious sleep button on the keyboard. If possible: How can I create a Sleep hot button, or what is best...