Windows 10: Mystery Phone Listing on Network

Discus and support Mystery Phone Listing on Network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I upgraded my desktop PC and my laptop to Windows 10. All went fine. However, my desktop and laptop network icons show a phone that I don't have (I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by gogreen, Jul 30, 2015.

1. gogreen Win User

Mystery Phone Listing on Network

I upgraded my desktop PC and my laptop to Windows 10. All went fine. However, my desktop and laptop network icons show a phone that I don't have (I think it's an Android). My network map (in Netgear genie) doesn't show anything that shouldn't be there. It doesn't appear when I click on the network symbol in the notification area, either. IP config /all doesn't show it, either. It appears only when I click the desktop network icon (illustration). What is that listing and how do I remove it? Thanks.

:)

gogreen, Jul 30, 2015

2. Nokia Lumia 535

The network signal seems to be OK. We haven't got another mobile at present so I'm unable to try the sim card in a different phone. It all seems a bit of a mystery.

Shirley JA, Jul 30, 2015
  3. kf6yu Win User
    My Surface Pro doesn't ask for Wi-Fi passwords but still logs into "new" networks.

Good call Val! Apparently, known Wi-Fi networks are imported from other instantiations of Windows 10 thru my Microsoft Account. All my previously know networks from my other Win 10 computers are listed as known networks on my Surface Pro even though I've
    not logged into most of them.

Mystery solved. Not sure that I like this feature.....

Mark,

kf6yu, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

That's actually been happening in Windows for a long time, even back to windows 8 I was seeing it randomly appear (it can be different devices). It seems to be some kind of false positive detection.

Some suggest that this is neighbors connecting to your wifi network. The idea is that the MAC address may be propogated, even though these neighbors are not actually authorized for your network (ie, your router is advertising these mac addresses, but they can't actually use your network, but for some reason they still show up in the list of connected devices).

When you check your WIFI router, the devices won't be listed there, since they haven't been given IP's.. but something in the network architecture still allows MAC advertisement.

Mystere, Jul 30, 2015
  5. Berton Win User
    Windows Devices and Printers in computers with a Bluetooth Wireless adapter can pick up nearby cellphones that have Bluetooth Wireless in them, also other types of devices with Bluetooth. In order to be of use they have to be Paired, usually need a number entered on both to work so physical proximity is important to do so.

Berton, Jul 30, 2015
  6. gogreen Win User
    Well, we occasionally turn our iPhone's Bluetooth on, but that's it. I would think that the device would then show as my iPhone, not what appears to be an Android device. So you're suggesting there's a cell phone nearby with its Bluetooth on that I'm "seeing"?

gogreen, Jul 30, 2015
  7. Mystere Win User
    Not necessarily, this often is mis-identified. right click on it and choose properties, check the MAC, then compare it to your phones.

Mystere, Jul 30, 2015
  8. Berton Win User

Yes. my computers see one now and then but since I don't have it at hand it isn't able to be Paired.

Berton, Jul 30, 2015
  9. gogreen Win User
    Sounds like this is the case. I wonder if it's a neighbor's phone that my network sees in passing.

Yeah, I checked it out. The MAC address isn't even close to any of my equipment's MAC addresses.

gogreen, Jul 31, 2015
  10. I've not even got a bluetooth device on my PC, checked the router and access point to ensure these strange phones aren't connected to the network(which they aren't(apparently))...?

fealty1991, Nov 23, 2016
  11. Adalwar Win User
    Since I got a new Router I also have that mysterious Phones listing on Network.
    I disabled the UPnP Function on Router and seems problem is gone.

Adalwar, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Mystery Phone Listing on Network - Similar Threads - Mystery Phone Listing

2. network sharing mystery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    network sharing mystery: I have a desktop PC network shared at home for nearly 20 years.I sometimes have network issues as many do but this new one is hard to fathom.I bought 2 identical brand new Lenovo laptops and installed virtually identical software on them. Win10 is truly identical. Being brand...
  3. network sharing mystery

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    network sharing mystery: I have a desktop PC network shared at home for nearly 20 years.I sometimes have network issues as many do but this new one is hard to fathom.I bought 2 identical brand new Lenovo laptops and installed virtually identical software on them. Win10 is truly identical. Being brand...
  4. network sharing mystery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Home Network Mystery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Home Network Mystery: Network Problem: Two PCs on my 5-PC home network are unable to access one particular PC. The other three PCs, including the “inaccessible” one, readily access each other. In other words, I have my intended two-way connectivity throughout except as stated above where I can...
  6. Home Network Mystery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Home Network Mystery: Network Problem: Two PCs on my 5-PC home network are unable to access one particular PC. The other three PCs, including the “inaccessible” one, readily access each other. In other words, I have my intended two-way connectivity throughout except as stated above where I can...
  7. Home Network Mystery

8. win10 to win10 network credentials mystery

win10 to win10 network credentials mystery: I have a media server that is running win10. I just got a new win10 machine in my office and I'd like full access to the shares on the media server. I go to the media server and open credentials manager and add the credentials for the new machine machine name, local...
  9. ? mysterious cell phone in device manager ?

? mysterious cell phone in device manager ?: Hi, I'm a retired programmer but I'm a little behind on all this wireless stuff. My suburb is way out in the mountains and only about half the people own cell phones because reception is so awful. I don't own one myself. Anyway I was in Device Manager today and saw a...
  10. Mysterious folders in network.

Mysterious folders in network.: I have 2 new folders in the network in File explorer, Documents 2 and music 2. I can't find these folders in the C drive view. ? 29855