Windows 10: Name in File Explorer

Discus and support Name in File Explorer in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Since doing a clean install, my name in File Explorer/Users has changed. It is neither my first nor second name, just the first 5 letters/numbers of my... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by janey6, Sep 29, 2015.

1. janey6 Win User

Name in File Explorer

Since doing a clean install, my name in File Explorer/Users has changed. It is neither my first nor second name, just the first 5 letters/numbers of my Microsoft login name.

It used to show my surname in Windows 7.

Is is it possible to change it, please?

:)

janey6, Sep 29, 2015

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Sep 29, 2015
  3. File Name In file Explorer

Hi TheBigGuy777,

You can rename multiple files in Windows Explorer. If you’re renaming a bunch of files in the same folder and those files don’t need completely different names from one another, Windows provides an easier way to rename those files in batch. Start by selecting
    a bunch of files. You can hold down the Ctrl key to select multiple files at once, or
    Shift to select a range of files. When you’ve got the files selected, use one of the rename commands — the button on the
    Home menu, the command on the context menu, or just press F2. You’ll see that all the files remain selected, but the first one in the group gets its name highlighted so you can type a new name.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Aileen Alf, Sep 29, 2015
  4. Kari Win User

Name in File Explorer

5. janey6 Win User
    Thank you.
    I have now set up a local account using my first name and then changed it to a Microsoft account, using my usual email address and password.
    Can I now delete the original profile with the unwanted account (detailed in my original question)?
    Will this be possible as I set up my clean installation with my Microsoft account?
    I don't suppose I can merge them so that I have all my settings?

janey6, Sep 30, 2015
  6. janey6 Win User
    Further reply!
    having watched the video about converting a local account to a Microsoft account, I realise that I did not get the option to get a text message. In fact, after restarting the computer, I see that I still have the local account. Is this because there is already a Microsoft account registered to this machine?

janey6, Sep 30, 2015
  7. Kari Win User
    You cannot have two Windows 10 user accounts on the same PC using the same MS account email. The easiest way to do what you want to is this:

• Switch your old MS account to a local account (disconnect it from the MS account)
    • Create a new local account with your preferred name. Be sure to make this new local account an administrator account!
    • Sign in to your new local account
    • Copy your documents, images, music, videos etc. (all personal data) from the original, old Windows user profile to your new local account profile folder's corresponding subfolders
    • Switch your new local account to an MS account
    • You can now remove the original, old user profile

8. janey6 Win User

Name in File Explorer

I will try that now and report back. Than you.

janey6, Sep 30, 2015
  9. Kari Win User
    The most important thing to remember is to be absolutely sure that the new user account with your preferred name is an administrator account before removing the old account! If not, you will have no administrator accounts on your PC which makes it crippled and non-functional.

Kari, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Name in File Explorer

1. Name in File Explorer - Similar Threads - Name File Explorer

2. Searching for files with spaces in names in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Searching for files with spaces in names in File Explorer: In File Explorer, how to search for any filename with a space before the period? * .* doesn't work -- returns all files.More generally, where are the syntax and other rules for searching in File Explorer?thanksK...
  3. File Explorer Displaying Shortened File Name

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer Displaying Shortened File Name: I am trying to open some .tif files through Windows File Explorer and when it opens the complete file name does not show up instead it is like a shortened version..I have tried going into the registry editor and change the NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation to 1 but it still isn't...
  4. FILE EXPLORER ADDS SYMBOLS TO FILE NAMES

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    FILE EXPLORER ADDS SYMBOLS TO FILE NAMES: Hi - hope someone can help. I was unable to get most of my photos to open and now I'm having the same problem with all files. The files I had named, such as,APPLE PIE, now reads ._APPLE PIE. In Photos, the icons and names of these files is usually faded and a message says...
  5. Files and folders names in explorer

Files and folders names in explorer: Letters in the name of files or folders in explorer are separated. For example, look at the screenshots:[ATTACH][ATTACH] As you can see, the name is written as a single word, but, when i save it, it separates. How to solve this problem? I have the latest Windows 10 2004...
  6. File Explorer - File Folder Names Missing

File Explorer - File Folder Names Missing: Hello, I have run across this over and over again after some recent update with windows 10 - not sure what the heck is going on - but it's becoming increasingly annoying that every 5 out of 10 times i restart my computer I run across this. The file names in the File...
  7. AEQHCNB file name in explorer

AEQHCNB file name in explorer: Explorer is showing folders with the AEQHCNB added to the file name, any way of turning this feature off? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/aeqhcnb-file-name-in-explorer/056ccd54-0994-46da-9070-0ee6ab1a83c9
  8. Cannot see the file names on File Explorer

Cannot see the file names on File Explorer: When I open File Explorer I only see icons showing the type of the files. I cannot see my file names and other details like date saved etc. This happened after I updated Windows 10 to its last version....
  9. searching with file explorer for just file names

searching with file explorer for just file names: Name:XYZ file explorer will list filenames, folder names, shortcuts etc. NO. I just want filenames! How to do i get that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/searching-with-file-explorer-for-just-file-names/733d9215-8cb9-49fc-ae2d-3559c6e1e642"
  10. File names in Left Panel of File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    File names in Left Panel of File Explorer: A brief apology: I'm probably too old to mess with this stuff (pulling 80,) but I like to try. Please be patient with me, and ask for details if I am not stating my problem clearly. I have searched, but could not find this problem already discussed in this forum. I just...