Windows 10: Names of user folders (Photos, Music...)

Discus and support Names of user folders (Photos, Music...) in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Very odd problem: [img] If I move the location of the user folder (an example here is for Music and Pictures). Both of my folders are network... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by kosta, Aug 15, 2015.

1. kosta Win User

Names of user folders (Photos, Music...)

Very odd problem:

Names of user folders (Photos, Music...) [​IMG]

If I move the location of the user folder (an example here is for Music and Pictures).
    Both of my folders are network drives from the NAS, and the files are located in root of the network share.
    So for an example, I have Music which is H:\ and Photo which is I:\.
    If I I move the location of the Music folder towards H:\, it will name the user folder H:\ instead of Music. Which is annoying. If I move it to H:\Music, it will name it Music. An example is seen on I:\, as I pointed the location of the user folder "Pictures" to I:\.

Can the name of this folder be changed to how it usually worked in Windows 7, eg. the name of the folder did not change. And no, I don't want to use libraries, I know that is the possibility, I would like to remain on the folder basis, like this one.

:)

kosta, Aug 15, 2015

2. Wrong folders shown under This PC - Network Locations

This is on Win10 Home. Looking at a ZyExel NSA325-2 NAS.

From Windows explorer, selecting This PC (in the left column), then (on the right) under Network Locations (3)
    select- NSA325

I see three folders named: Music; Photos and Videos.

There is a share named 'music' (lower case 'm') the contents of folder 'Music match the 'music' share'.

There are no shares named 'Photos' or 'Videos' though there are shares 'photo' and 'video'.

Folder 'Photos' has 5 sub-folders named Albumn; All Photos; By Date; By Folder; Slideshows.

Folder 'Videos' has 6 sub-folders named Albumn; All Videos; By Date; By Folder; Playlists; Title.

Those subfolder names do not exist anywhere on the NAS (or anywhere else on our network that I recall). The contents of all those sub-folders are random parts of the share named 'video'.

If instead I select NSA325 under Network (in the left column) I see the correct eight shares, and music has a lower case m.

I have not yet mapped any shares.

The machine was just upgraded from Windows 7 two days ago. After the upgrade i did a restore/reset to erase any previous user data and settings. The only changes have been the installation of Chrome browser, and a few personalisation settings.

The other NAS in the system is a WD My Book Live.

It shows correctly under Network - MYBOOKLIVE

Under This PC it only shows as [MyBookLive] TwonkyMedia and that folder is empty.

Peter

hungupdown, Aug 15, 2015
  3. music and pictures files seem to have merged

Ok I pre did this before reading your answer. you would use the bottom step of go to location that is incorrect. "THIS PC" I will post the whole thing.

Q 1. So C:\ Users\YOUR NAMED Folder

shows 1 music and 1 pictures folder only right?????????

Q 2. But in This PC Location (Folders And Drives) Show the 2 duplicate folders and a missing folder, from your photo posted here right?

Because I was going to tell you how to fix it, but this makes the circumstances a bit different. I just want to verify this. I will be back in about 20 minutes.

Ok, I don't see how This PC\Folders and C:\Users\YOUR NAME\

could show 2 different scenarios.

They both are the same location and Target Locations of C:\Users\YOUR NAME\Music & C:\Users\YOUR NAME\Pictures

>>>>****** If they are the same in This PC and C:\Users\YOUR NAME of duplicates of one folder and the other one is missing Then;

For precaution of preserving your files:

Did you have music or pictures in these folders.

if so, first in C:\Users\YOUR NAME\Music folder, cut and paste all music contents inside of it in to a new created folder on desktop.

Then change the name of Music to Public

C:\Users\YOUR NAME\Music

Right click >> properties

General Tab >> Rename it to >> Pictures

Location Tab >> Rename it to >> C:\Users\YOUR NAME\Pictures

select apply and or OK and allow the process "OK" with the verification windows.

in the end it may say it will not complete lost location, just click on cancel and it will change.

Now it is C:\Users\YOUR NAME\Pictures

open it and cut and paste all picture contents inside of it in to a new created folder on desktop.

Ok now, right click on Pictures Folder

select Cut and right click on desktop and click paste.

You will have a 2nd System Pictures Folder, which is different than just creating a new folder and naming it.

There is one on Desktop and one in C:\Users\YOUR NAME

as the cut and paste function will also leave the Pictures folder in C:\Users\YOUR NAME, unlike moving a normal folder by cut and paste.

Now go to the Pictures Folder on Desktop

Right click >> properties

General Tab >> Rename it to >> Music

Location Tab >> Rename it to >> C:\Users\YOUR NAME\Music

select apply and or OK and allow the process "OK"with the verification windows.

in the end it may say it will not complete lost location, just click on cancel and it will change.

Now you should have System Music and System Pictures Folders in C:\Users\YOUR NAME

Now cut music content from new created folder on desktop and paste into Music folder

Now cut pictures content from new created folder on desktop and paste into Pictures folder.

>>>>****** If they are different in This PC and C:\Users\YOUR NAME, such as one is correct and the other is incorrect, go to the incorrect location; and do the same above procedure.

except first, save the music and picture content from inside these 2 folders that are in correct location in to temp created folders on desktop as mentioned earlier.

When done, put music and pictures content from temp folders back in to Music and Pictures.

Then delete the 2 temp folders you created.

Restart PC

If there is a folder left on the desktop named Pictures or Music delete it. But before you empty the recycle bin, go to C:users\YOUR NAME

and make sure that the 2 folders are there and content is inside.

Then empty recycle bin.

This can be done more easier for me in safe mode and also using the security settings to reset system folders. The system folder compared to regular folders have a LOCATION TAB and it can be tricky to fix system folder corruption. And you are already working
    with a corrupt folder that needs to be reset to its proper target location and since you have a duplicate that makes it ......

I actually did this on mine (it worked but I restored mine back with system image in 10 minutes), although I did not have a duplicate M or P folder, I deleted My Pictures system folder and then used the other one like I explained above, Music, and the duplicate
    created music folder to desktop "cut and paste" was changed to a system pictures folder and succeeded to my C:\users\my name folder as Pictures system folder.

Good Luck.

seahawks65, Aug 15, 2015
Thema:

Names of user folders (Photos, Music...)

1. Names of user folders (Photos, Music...) - Similar Threads - Names user folders

2. User folder name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User folder name: I set up my new pc and it's showing as C:\Users\User. I've noticed from reading and watching online people they have their name or a user account name ie C:Users\Tim. I'm the only person using my pc, should I set myself up as a new User, or should I just change the folder...
  3. User folder name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User folder name: I set up my new pc and it's showing as C:\Users\User. I've noticed from reading and watching online people they have their name or a user account name ie C:Users\Tim. I'm the only person using my pc, should I set myself up as a new User, or should I just change the folder...
  4. User's folder name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User's folder name: Hi,I am using Windows 11. My username is different from that of the folder in C, Users. When I installed Windows, I filled out a kind of interactive form and connected to Windows with my Microsoft account. Fortunately, I managed to turn it into a local account from the...
  5. Folder name in user

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Folder name in user: How to change the folder name in user in dock C Folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folder-name-in-user/ff87001d-58f4-4398-8af8-d9ed39632bd0
  6. User Folder Name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User Folder Name: So earlier I accidentally merged my music folder with my user folder, so in my C:\User directory instead of seeing C:\Users\MyName I saw C:\Users\Music. I did fix this problem but my user folder name is still music instead of my name. I also can't rename the folder back to my...
  7. User folder is now Music folder

User folder is now Music folder: Hi there... I decided to move my default user folders (Documents, Downloads, Pictures, etc.) to a different location (my D drive) and after successfully moving several folder, I apparently made a mistake. I moved my "Music" folder to my User folder and now my personal user...
  8. Change user name and user folder name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change user name and user folder name: My Lenovo/Windows setup has chosen a stupid user name for me, shortened from the first letters of my MS account ID. How do I safely change my user name on my PC, and more importantly, my c:\users\user folder name whilst maintaining my Windows account name for logging in etc?...
  9. User folder name.

User folder name.: The folder name under 'C' users has missing characters. It isn't spelt that way anywhere else, be it in the MS account or the local one. Can I edit the name without wrecking my PC apart?! Also, it happens to be the only account on the PC. I don't understand the complexity MS...
  10. User folder name...

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User folder name...: I've re-installed Win10 Home via the media creation tool. Everything is where it should be and my account is working just fine. But... For some reason my personal folder under C:/Users is named after the first five letters of my Email instead of my real first name, which is...