Windows 10: Narrator Keyboard Shortcuts to turn On/Off not working

Discus and support Narrator Keyboard Shortcuts to turn On/Off not working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Neither Caps Lock + Esc nor Win key + Enter are working. Forced to go to Task Manager to turn off and Control Panel to Ease of Access to turn on. 71089 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jalea148, Nov 28, 2016.

1. jalea148 Win User

Narrator Keyboard Shortcuts to turn On/Off not working

Neither Caps Lock + Esc nor Win key + Enter are working. Forced to go to Task Manager to turn off and Control Panel to Ease of Access to turn on.

:)

jalea148, Nov 28, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Getting the Narrator to Be Quiet

The Keyboard shortcut Caps Lock+Esc turns off Narrator

DaveM121, Nov 28, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    READ ALOUD setting

Hi Michelle, the keyboard Shortcut to turn off Narrator Read Aloud:

Windows Key + Enter

Otherwise you can do that in settings

Select “Start” - “Settings“

Open “Ease of Access“

Select “Narrator“

Toggle “Narrator” to “Off“

DaveM121, Nov 28, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, first, the hotkeys are disabled if you have ever ticked the checkbox & No in the initial pop-up dialogue when Narrator starts.

This says these can be enabled again in Narrator's general settings. I've not found that yet.

Narrator Keyboard Shortcuts to turn On/Off not working [​IMG]

Second, you can set Narrator to launch automatically in Settings:

Narrator Keyboard Shortcuts to turn On/Off not working [​IMG]

Third, you could turn Narrator on like this:
    Type
    Narra in Cortana's search box.

Click
    Narrator
    (first find at top in Cortana's window).

Fourth, you could do this to start it:
    Windows key + R, type
    Narrator
    <return key>

dalchina, Dec 1, 2016
  5. jalea148 Win User
    Cannot find settings; doesn't appear when N. starts. My screen different.Attachment 112221 After Start Narrator is clicked it cannot be clicked off. I'm aware of several ways to start and quit Narrator. My concern regards turning it on/off with keyboard shortcuts.
    Note, I only use Narrator with Kindle. It may be the cause of the problem.

jalea148, Dec 1, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    I understand your concern. I cannot see how to re-enable the hotkeys once disabled, as I have said. Maybe someone else can- else it needs a registry change.

Unfortunately your attachment is invalid.

The appropriate way to post a screenshot is to use the icon to the left of the video icon above your post- tooltip 'Insert image'.

dalchina, Dec 1, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Here's the registry entry you need. Note: if yours is already 1 and the hotkeys are not working, you have a different problem. Please advise if so.

1 = hot key Windows key + Enter enabled, 0 = disabled.

This is one post that comes up when users search for how to disable Narrator in Windows 10.
    This was annoying me today. The provided solutions weren't satisfactory for me. Especially setting the debuger setting. I did a 30 second search for Narrator in the registry and very luckily found this key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Narrator\NoRoam\WinEnterLaunchEnabled
    Setting it to 0 disables the shortcut for the current user, so not in the login screen.
    Save this as a .reg file:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Narrator\NoRoam]
    "WinEnterLaunchEnabled"=dword:00000000
    hotkeys - Disable Narrator shortcut key in windows 8 - Super User

dalchina, Dec 1, 2016
  8. jalea148 Win User

Thank you; that was it! It was 0. Changing it to 1 fixed the problem. Somebody referred to a different key - didn't help.

jalea148, Dec 1, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Glad to be of help. Seems Windows is maybe missing the ability to switch that from its GUI unless it's well hidden.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Narrator Keyboard Shortcuts to turn On/Off not working - Similar Threads - Narrator Keyboard Shortcuts

2. I am trying to turn off the narrator.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I am trying to turn off the narrator.: I know you can press ctr + b to on/off the narrator but I want it completely gone.Like I want it to be turned off even if I do ctrl + BPlease help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-trying-to-turn-off-the-narrator/982f9d60-4dc1-4648-8517-67fc47f94ae8
  3. I can't turn off keyboard shortcuts

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can't turn off keyboard shortcuts: I was playing a game and have to press f3 to open the debug menu, but instead in increased my volume. i clicked all of the other keys and they did things i didnt want to do. i got frustrated and searched through the entire settings. Whenever I tried to search, it would tell...
  4. Accidentally turned off my keyboard with a shortcut

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Accidentally turned off my keyboard with a shortcut: Hello, I was trying to change the backlights for my hp omen 15 and somehow hit a shortcut that disabled my keyboard. Does anyone know how to fix this? submitted by /u/_this_is_what_ [link] [comments]...
  5. How to Turn off custom-set keyboard Shortcut

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Turn off custom-set keyboard Shortcut: Hello! I had set 'Num-1' as a shortcut for launching 'Chrome'. However, I want to unset the same. Please Help Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-turn-off-custom-set-keyboard-shortcut/12f049c2-e285-4769-8647-c36ea105fa88
  6. Constant narration WITH narration turned off.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Constant narration WITH narration turned off.: When I open a web page, many times I get the female voice describing the subject of the page I just opened. When I research the problem, all help sites say to turn off the narrator. The narrator is off but she still remains. It's annoying. I figured it's Cortana which I tried...
  7. Turn On or Off Narrator Echo Toggle Keys when Turned On or Off

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Narrator Echo Toggle Keys when Turned On or Off: How to: Turn On or Off Narrator Echo Toggle Keys when Turned On or Off How to Turn On or Off Narrator Echo Toggle Keys when Turned On or Off in Windows 10 Narrator is a screen-reading app built into Windows 10. Narrator lets you use your PC without a display or...
  8. Turn On or Off Show Narrator Home at Narrator Startup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Show Narrator Home at Narrator Startup in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Show Narrator Home at Narrator Startup in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Show Narrator Home when Narrator Starts in Windows 10 Narrator is a screen-reading app built into Windows 10. Starting with Windows 10 build 17704, when Narrator...
  9. Turn On or Off Showing Narrator Keyboard Changes in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Showing Narrator Keyboard Changes in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Showing Narrator Keyboard Changes in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Showing Narrator Keyboard Changes at Narrator Startup in Windows 10 Narrator is a screen-reading app built into Windows 10. When you turn on Narrator, a Heads up! Narrator...
  10. Turn On or Off Narrator in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Narrator in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Narrator in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Narrator in Windows 10 Narrator is a screen-reading app built into Windows 10. Narrator lets you use your PC without a display or mouse to complete common tasks if youre blind or have low vision. It...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. narrator keyboard shortcuts windows 10 not working

2. short keys for narrator to start

3. where is the short cut key on my dell computer for narrator

4. key strokes to turn on narrator,
  5. narrator and scan not turned on or off by keyboard shortcuts