Windows 10: NAS and attaching a My Book drive to a router port

Discus and support NAS and attaching a My Book drive to a router port in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Don't know enough yet to answer my question. NAS's are something new to me so I'm trying to get up to speed (no pun intended). As I understand it a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by smalltown, May 30, 2017.

1. smalltown Win User

NAS and attaching a My Book drive to a router port

Don't know enough yet to answer my question.
    NAS's are something new to me so I'm trying to get up to speed (no pun intended).
    As I understand it a NAS would hang off of a router port, and have its own built in IP address so it can be accessed from the net or just use it locally (or both).

I have also been checking out new routers, and see that the Linksys WRT1900AC, and higher have a rear USB 3.0 port. Since I don't have any USB 3.0 ports on my desktop (yet) it got me thinking. (bad thing on my part)

Could I connect a My book to the router USB port, and would it be the same thing as a NAS ? I'm thinking not since it wouldn't have own IP address?

Would I get good speeds using the My Book connected to the router since I don't have a USB 3.0 on my desktop?

Lastly how good are speeds to a NAS verses connecting a drive to a USB 3.0 desktop port ?
    My current router an old Linksys DIR-615 specs indicates port specs are 10/100 so upgrading my router to a router with 10/100/1000 should increase transfer rates to the NAS or My Book ??

P.S. You blokes across the pond have your in act together !

:)

smalltown, May 30, 2017
  2. michaelG4 Win User

Windows 10 explorer network error 0x80070035 the network path was not found

I have win 10 on a Lenovo laptop and a WD my net router 900 with a NAS drive connected to the USB port. I have contacted WD and they say that this is a frequent with win 8 and 10. They say it is a problem with the win os with many different routers. I
    tried the steps that you recommended and that did not work. I still get the same error message. In the router configuration dashboard I can see that the router list my NAS drive so I know the router is configed correctly. After trying your solution I still
    can not map to the NAS drive. PLEASE HELP.

michaelG4, May 30, 2017
  3. Cannot access wireless WD My Book Live after Win10 conversion

Yes, by NAS I mean the WD My Book Live as it is indeed a NAS (Network Attached Storage). NAS and attaching a My Book drive to a router port :)

Do you by any chance have a smartphone/tablet with a OS which can run applications? If yes you can try downloading the WD My Cloud application and see if it detects the NAS on your network (both the NAS and the phone need to be on the same network so if the
    NAS is connected to a router you need to have your phone connected to the same router via WiFi).

If all else fails, try contacting our live support for more info. http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=2bohhs

Captain_WD, May 30, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Most routers that have USB ports let you connect a hard drive and it shows as a shared folder so you can use it there is a fair chance the speed could be better than local but there are a lot of factors to the equation

Samuria, May 30, 2017
  5. Berton Win User
    Routers do have the ability to 'look like' a computer. Mine is a Gigabit Wireless with 4 Ethernet ports and 2 USB 2.0 ports. I haven't any need for the USB yet because of my setup I also have an 8 port Gigabit Switch [needed for 5 computers, workbench, 2 NAS Ethernet drives and 2 Ethernet printers (Inkjet and Laserjet). An advantage to the WDC MyCloud NAS drives is I can access files on them using versions of Windows, osMAC [formerly Mac OS X] and Linux computer whether Wired or Wireless. The computer part interprets the files as needed when accessed by any computer. The Wireless part of the Gigabit Router is 802.11b/g/n, am looking at the future in replacing with 802.11ac equipment as I now have 2 computers with that capability.

Berton, May 30, 2017
  6. smalltown Win User
    I will say one thing I visited the Newegg web site, and read all the reviews for the MY Cloud 4TB drive, and they aren't exactly glowing. Especially the latest (all the other are for 2016 or older) confused me about the subnet comments.
    WD 4TB My Cloud Personal Network Attached Storage - NAS - WDBCTL0040HWT-NESN-Newegg.com

I'm not sure if that meant I would not be able access my data from within my own home with the first version,and that doesn't sound right to me. I have no way of knowing what version drive I would get it's all factory sealed.

smalltown, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. NAS and attaching a My Book drive to a router port - Similar Threads - NAS attaching Book

2. Entering Credentials When Accessing Router Attached Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Entering Credentials When Accessing Router Attached Drive: Greetings,I have just purchased a new router. I attached an SSD to the router to use as network storage. The router is from Asus. I have setup aiCloud to access the storage from outside my network. I cannot use the FTP host created in the aiDisk router dashboard, as the...
  3. Entering Credentials When Accessing Router Attached Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Entering Credentials When Accessing Router Attached Drive: Greetings,I have just purchased a new router. I attached an SSD to the router to use as network storage. The router is from Asus. I have setup aiCloud to access the storage from outside my network. I cannot use the FTP host created in the aiDisk router dashboard, as the...
  4. I have a 32GB flash drive attached to the USB port on my wireless router and Windows...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I have a 32GB flash drive attached to the USB port on my wireless router and Windows...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Dorfli [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hygtbt/i_have_a_32gb_flash_drive_attached_to_the_usb/
  5. USB hard drive attached to Linksys EA3500 Router.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB hard drive attached to Linksys EA3500 Router.: It’s also recommended that you map the external drive on your computer for fast, easy access. Mapping a network drive is simple. Just follow the steps listed below. 1. Open File Explorer from the taskbar or the Start menu. Alternatively, you can use the Windows Key + E...
  6. Connecting to a shared drive attached to my router.

Connecting to a shared drive attached to my router.: I recently found the need to "reset" Windows 10 after several years of operation. In doing so I lost the connection to a backup drive connected to my router. When I attempt to access the router directly I'm told that I have no internet access, which is not the case, nor can...
  7. Unable to map NAS on router

Unable to map NAS on router: Hello my first post with a problem that should be simple. I am not very network savvy. Two HDDs attached to a TP link Archer C9 router. A newly built desktop running Win 10 Pro v 1909 build 18363.592. My old, now failed win 7 PC mapped to the drives easily. I have followed...
  8. Unable to map NAS on router

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to map NAS on router: Hello my first post with a problem that should be simple. I am not very network savvy. Two HDDs attached to a TP link Archer C9 router. A newly built desktop running Win 10 Pro v 1909 build 18363.592. My old, now failed win 7 PC mapped to the drives easily. I have followed...
  9. Network attached storage (NAS)

Network attached storage (NAS): I have a D-Link DNS-325 NAS and now I can not see the disk in file explorer. I have tried several solutions but nothing works. This NAS is where I do all my backups plus store all of my photos and videos. I know the NAS is working as I did a backup today and all went fine....
  10. Scan to External Hard Drive Attached to Asus Router

Scan to External Hard Drive Attached to Asus Router: Hoping someone can help me with this...scanning to external hard drive attached to router. My setup: Windows 10 on a Dell Optiplex 9010 (purchased from Dell's refurbished site, if that means anything) Asus RT-AC3200 router HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 printer Printer is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. my book attached to router