Windows 10: NAS and Laptops

Discus and support NAS and Laptops in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've researched this on the internet, and just left myself confused! Sorry in advance for the long post, but I wanted to make clear where I am, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PeteW1959, Jul 25, 2018.

1. PeteW1959 Win User

NAS and Laptops

I've researched this on the internet, and just left myself confused! Sorry in advance for the long post, but I wanted to make clear where I am, and where I want to be.

I work from home, as does my wife, and we have 3 Win 10 PCs on a wired network (We each have a work PC, and I have a leisure/hobby PC). I also have a laptop which I use in the field (I'm an industrial controls engineer).

I seemed to spend a ridiculous amount of time copying files from one device to another, and often forgot to update all PCs with my laptop when going on a site visit, so end up not having all the files I need.

I purchased a Buffalo Terastation NAS to try to relieve the situation, but it has just made it worse!

I have set this up so that data files are stored on the NAS in two drives; S: for shared files (music, family photos, finances, family history (our hobby), and personal data on Y: (two separate partitions on the NAS, one for myself, one for my wife, but mapped to Y: on each of our PCs).

That bit was easy!

Now for the laptop, which is proving to be a data management nightmare!

If the laptop is connected to the network, all is fine and dandy; I have the S: drive and Y: drive mapped and it works just like on my PC. However when I go out, I don't have the network so I lose access to all my data.

To get round this I have created two partitions on the laptop to hold the S: and Y: drives, but had to assign two different letters (J: and KNAS and Laptops :). I then use FreeFileSync to sync these two partiotins to the NAS; not ideal, but workable. However I use several programs that store data on absolute paths (this cannot be changed), so when I try to run them on the laptop away from home, they are looking for the S: and Y: drives, which aren't there.

At the moment I have two options; keep changing the path in the apps, or re-map the partitions.

Is there an easier way to do this? I don't want to go down the route of using Windows Server (which I think would solve my problems, but it's too expensive), I want to just keep on a simple home network.

If you are still with me, thanks for reading!

:)

PeteW1959, Jul 25, 2018
  2. Gino Des Win User

Windows 10 & NAS Box

Hi Peter,

A few possible reasons can cause this issue. To help us identify the cause of this problem, we would like to know the following information:

• How is your NAS box connected to your computer? (Ethernet, Wi-Fi, or USB)
    • Are you using a program provided by the manufacturer of your NAS box to access it?
    • Do you receive any error messages when accessing your NAS box? If yes, what is the exact error message?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you perform the solution provided by omiklik (Most Helpful Reply)
    in the following thread: Unable to see NAS drive on Network - Win 10 PC.

Keep us updated on the status of the issue, and we will be glad to assist you further.

Gino Des, Jul 25, 2018
  3. n-ster Win User
    n-ster, Jul 25, 2018
  4. KrisTurp Win User

NAS and Laptops

Authorization error when mapping NAS drive from new Windows 10 laptop

Hi!

Not so tech-savvy user here, with problems establishing a mapped connection from my Windows 10 laptop to my Buffalo LinkStation NAS drive.

The error message I get: "The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occurred:
    The account is not authorized to log in from this station."

Notes:

• I CANNOT connect/map it from my Windows 10 work laptop (probably has plenty of additional workplace-installed security stuff, and access restrictions that I can't override)
      • It doesn't work through the "NAS Navigator" that I downloaded - it sees the drive, but won't let me explore it.
      • It doesn't work when mapping through File Explorer
        • I am never asked for a username/password
      • I AM able to access the NAS settings by accessing it via its static IP address
      • I CANNOT even access it from the cloud via WebAccess, which works on my phones, on my friends' computers, etc.
    • I CAN connect/map it from my other laptops (including my previous Windows 7 work laptop, with probably the same security stuff and access restrictions, and also my own personal Windows Vista machine)
      • I do not need to connect with a username/password
    What I've tried:

• Rebooting the NAS
    • Rebooting the laptop
    • Disabling Windows Firewall on the laptop
    • Enabling SMB on the NAS and the laptop
    • Enabling SMB2 on the NAS and the laptop and rebooting
    • Creating a a DWORD value called 'AllowInsecureGuestAuth' in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters and setting the value to 1.

see here
      - note, I really probably shouldn't be playing with registry values, being that I don't know what I'm doing!
    • I think I tried a few other things... can't remember them all.
    Anyone wanna lend a hand in solving this mystery?

KrisTurp, Jul 25, 2018
Thema:

NAS and Laptops

1. NAS and Laptops - Similar Threads - NAS Laptops

2. A bunch of files in my Synology NAS win 11 home OS on my laptop have duplicated, are size 0...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A bunch of files in my Synology NAS win 11 home OS on my laptop have duplicated, are size 0...: I just noticed today that most of these files were seemingly duplicates of files stored on my Synology NAS as they were named the same, but with slightly different paths. Yet these duplicates were either severely damaged versions of the originals or completely empty as...
  3. A bunch of files in my Synology NAS win 11 home OS on my laptop have duplicated, are size 0...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A bunch of files in my Synology NAS win 11 home OS on my laptop have duplicated, are size 0...: I just noticed today that most of these files were seemingly duplicates of files stored on my Synology NAS as they were named the same, but with slightly different paths. Yet these duplicates were either severely damaged versions of the originals or completely empty as...
  4. Laptop can't see NAS and other PC, but the other PC can see the NAS (but not the laptop)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop can't see NAS and other PC, but the other PC can see the NAS (but not the laptop): So my PC can now finally see the NAS on the network, however it can't see the laptop even though they are on the same network. My laptop can't see the PC nor the NAS even though all the settings like NetBIOS and SMB and file sharing are turned on. I can't ping the laptop from...
  5. NAS not visible on new laptop via wifi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NAS not visible on new laptop via wifi: Afternoon all I have a windows configuration query I can confirm there are no configuration issues with my NAS as I have no problems accessing the NAS via my own laptop via wifi I purchased a new laptop for my Son and am unable to access the NAS on his new laptop I...
  6. can not connect NAS on home network while other laptop with older version are fine

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    can not connect NAS on home network while other laptop with older version are fine: i get all online help to connect to NAS on home network but still not work! my wife's old windows is working fine with NAS https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-not-connect-nas-on-home-network-while-other/430ce96e-84a3-4df5-aa29-020254591a74
  7. file xfer from Windows laptop to NAS VIA an intermediate VM !!! FAST

file xfer from Windows laptop to NAS VIA an intermediate VM !!! FAST: Hi Network GURUS Any idea why for 20GB of video transfer from a Windows laptop (OS on SSD) to my NAS (because of Networking problems with the latest version of Windows Fast ring release) I had to logon to a Windows QEMU/VM running on the NAS to transfer the files...
  8. Win10 PC cannot see NAS and other devices on network. Laptop can.

Win10 PC cannot see NAS and other devices on network. Laptop can.: I have tried everything I know of to try and connect my PC to NAS. Stopped working a few weeks ago. All network sharing profiles are ON. Set to Private Network. Workgroup is Network name and is ON. Ran check on Powershell and SMB2 is installed. Nbtstat says shows NAS name...
  9. Backup to NAS fails during write - only on one laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup to NAS fails during write - only on one laptop: Hello community. I have a strange problem affecting one pc on a home network. When backing up using AOMEI or Acronis software this one laptop fails during the write cycle to the NAS. Any idea on how I might resolve this would be very much appreciated....
  10. Access to NAS from laptop

Access to NAS from laptop: Hello, I recently bought a NAS (Helios4) running on openmediavault. I installed the OS in the NAS, I then followed all the procedures to install openmediavault but I do not manage to see the NAS among my networks. I can enter the NAS from my pc by typing its IP and make...