Windows 10: NAS / Linux users and Spring update edition SMB1 settings changed

Discus and support NAS / Linux users and Spring update edition SMB1 settings changed in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Ah got it. NAS connects with SMB3. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by swarfega, Apr 5, 2018.

1. swarfega Win User

NAS / Linux users and Spring update edition SMB1 settings changed

Ah got it. NAS connects with SMB3.

swarfega, Apr 5, 2018
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Hi folks

Ms in the Spring edition update (1803) have changed the SMB settings again -- there's no option this time (thankfully) to "auto disable SMB1" but you have to enable it and re-boot. Then sharing works again (BOTH WAYS)

I think Ms were a bit too hasty in trying to kill of SMB1 - loads and loads of NAS servers and Linux distros still use it although some newer kernels have got support for SMB3 - I haven't got that working yet so I'm just leaving well alone --it's not critical files I need to share just some data and multi-media stuff.

I've currently got 2 NAS servers (Linux servers) and the Spring edition Windows machine on network currently -- all computers now can see and access each others shares.

NAS / Linux users and Spring update edition  SMB1 settings changed [​IMG]

NAS / Linux users and Spring update edition  SMB1 settings changed [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Apr 6, 2018
  3. Windows 10 ADK no support for smb1?

Hello, everybody. Paragon Diskmanager uses Window PE for its rescue disk. I have an old but good NAS-Server (iomega) installed, which apparently uses smb1. There is no way to connect to the NAS Server with WIN10-PE. Does someone know whether there is a
    way to configure Windows 10 ADK for smb1? Thank you!

HaraldEgger, Apr 6, 2018
  4. dabow Win User

Windows connection to NAS Linux based and Google Drive and Acronis True Image

Connected a windows share to a NAS Linux v5 Based Thecus N4100, N5500, N7700, and N8800.

Google Drive reported the directory was not writeable. A quick look and all folders had a black square in read only. Took a look at the security tab and the only full control was for the NAS accounts. All windows account permissions that Google drive relies
    on were blank and unchangeable. This is by design for Linux NAS permission in Windows. No I cant change everyone to full control..

As google drive has no explicit NAS Linux account the only option was to have the NAS run in public permission mode. Yes google drive now installs.

But it's not a good fix. Acronis True Image Home backup can not log into the NAS. It wants a Linux account to browse despite it being public. But the public NAS has no account! No I can not make a Linux user and get google drive to work.

dabow, Apr 6, 2018
  5. swarfega Win User
    Mine has the option to use SMB 2 and 3 and I've set it to use 3.

swarfega, Apr 6, 2018
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there @swarfega

In SAMBA conf I've tried it with setting SMB level to 2 / 3 on my servers but doing that after re-starting SAMBA I don't see any work groups so I just set it back and it's working fine. Remote TV's / amazon fire TV box also doesn't see files when SMB level set in SAMBA on the servers. I use KODI on my remote amazon fire TV to access multi-media on the server - no need for any streaming software on the server either. For Audio the DAC's in the latest amazon fire TV are very good too and can also go into a decent amplifier for music etc.

I'm using CENTOS rel 7.2 which still has a rel 3 rather than rel 4 kernel but it's so stable I just leave it as it's just a file server and internet gateway. I'm messing around with a couple of other things for servers but the old boxes I'm running I'm just leaving until they drop dead !!! I don't run any applications on them - apart from some test VM's.

======================= Global Settings =====================================

[global]
    ; max protocol = SMB3
    # can set it to SMB2 if you want experimental SMB2 support.
    #
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    server string = Samba Server Version %v

; max protocol = SMB2

log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 50
    security = user
    passdb backend = tdbsam
    name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins

load printers = yes
    cups options = raw

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 6, 2018
  7. swarfega Win User
    I wonder if you might have more luck with other distros.

swarfega, Apr 6, 2018
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Probably but these things run 24 hrs a day and never a problem -- am picking up a couple of boxes to replace these later this weekend with faster CPU's etc so I'll experiment then -- currently if I hose up family's access to Netflix, Sport channels, Amazon Prine etc -- my life won't be worth living !!!!!!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 6, 2018
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
  10. swarfega Win User
    Should you not enable smb1 for security risk?

swarfega, Apr 7, 2018
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You would want to disable SMB1 to prevent a security risk.

However, if your devices only support SMB1, you're stuck for now unless you can update or buy new devices that support SMB2 or SMB3 (recommended).

Brink, Apr 7, 2018
Thema:

1. NAS / Linux users and Spring update edition SMB1 settings changed - Similar Threads - NAS Linux users

2. smb1 disabled?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    smb1 disabled?: My NAS uses SMB1. The last time I restarted, Windows no longer allows connections to my NAS because they have decided that SMB1 is not safe enough for use in my local network. Is there a way around this?...
  3. spring 2021 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    spring 2021 update: creating a sytem image went from 2 minutes using a samsung t5 external drive.what iis the problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/spring-2021-update/aee51f0a-b3d8-4b46-8fc6-dca1a98951f7
  4. Spring 2021 Update

Spring 2021 Update: Taking a long time https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/spring-2021-update/7a2e095c-4e8e-4f4e-af64-ced37fe0f1e6
  5. need SMB1 protocol and drivers for obsolete NAS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    need SMB1 protocol and drivers for obsolete NAS: I have an old Western Digital World Book Network Attached Storage that uses SMB1 protocol. I have new Windows 10 Home computer that is post SMB1. Is there a simple way for me to add the SMB1 drivers so I can use my NAS. The Knowledge Base articles seem confusing and...
  6. Samba v 4.8.x and connectivity (SMB1 / NAS etc)

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Samba v 4.8.x and connectivity (SMB1 / NAS etc): Hi folks I know people use NAS systems on this board which often use Linux type distros. Same goes for VM's. Samba 4.8.x now throws error if you specify min protocol = SMB1 in your SMB.CONF file which will hose you up if you need connectivity to NAS via Windows / Smart TV's...
  7. spring update

spring update: is it safe to remove the spring update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/spring-update/5daf5a74-9347-494c-9bf4-71a61004ba86
  8. Compatibility Programs and Changes Notifyer (Spring Update)

in Windows 10 Support
    Compatibility Programs and Changes Notifyer (Spring Update): I have two programs in compatibilty mode, ClipX, and Jasc Paint Shop Pro, run as XP SP3 compatibility. Since the last big update (Spring update-last week), everytime these programs load, I have a yes/no pop up to allow computer changes. Cicking 'more details' takes me to:...
  9. Spring update GB edition W10 Pro X-64

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Spring update GB edition W10 Pro X-64: Hi folks easiest install ever (did as a VM) However Network is broken -- it can't see any non Windows servers (can via IP address but doesn't work from file explorer. First screen shot is current running windows - finds and can access all computers [img] 2nd...
  10. Spring Update edition (test) problem with multiple languages

Spring Update edition (test) problem with multiple languages: @jimbo45 Yes, that is so frustrating. All apps should use default language, defined as the OS language. But it does NOT. *Banghead