Windows 10: NAS looses DNS name

Discus and support NAS looses DNS name in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Since two weeks, I can not find my QNAP NAS with the name, only with the ip address. After a forced restart, everything is back. But after the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PietKatoen, Sep 4, 2016.

1. NAS looses DNS name

Since two weeks, I can not find my QNAP NAS with the name, only with the ip address.
    After a forced restart, everything is back.
    But after the automatic shut down over the night and automatic restart the day after, the problem is back.
    The only difference between the automatic and the forced restart, as far as I know, is that in the first case my laptop is closed and in the second case my laptop is in use.
    I have done no updates in the past two weeks.
    Any suggestions that can explain what is happening or what a solution could be?

KR
    Piet

:)

PietKatoen, Sep 4, 2016

2. DLink DNS-320 NAS looses connection during write

Hello,

The issue that you are facing is more complex than what is typically answered in the Microsoft Answers forums. It is better suited for the IT Pro audience on TechNet.

Please post your question in the TechNet Forum.

You can follow this link to post your question:

Technet forums - Windows 10 Networking

If you have any further query in future, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Sep 4, 2016
  3. bdery Win User
    DLink DNS-320 NAS looses connection during write

Hello,

I have been using a Dlink DNS-320 as a NAS storage for several years without trouble. It is configured with 2 drives in RAID 1 configuration. It reports the drives work as expected (when connecting to it via its IP address in a browser).

The update to Windows 10 did not change anything to connectivity, everything used to work well. But recently (maybe after a Windows update?) it started to have problems.

I can read its content, stream media, etc, without problems. But when triting to it (typically photo folders being transfered for storage) it often (not always) looses connection during or at the beginning of the writing process.. I am under the impression
    that larger numbers of files are more likely to fail. This occurs whether I am using File explorer, a program such as Lightroom, even a file explorer on my Android devices via wifi.

When it occurs (and that is most of the time) the NAS becomes unavailable, I cannot browse files on it, read files, Widnows reports it as missing and recommends I check my connection. Waiting a short while brings it back on, and I can try again. If a transfer
    is successful, the next one will always fail. Meanwhile, I can access the NAS via a web browser without problem.

I have tested two routers and that didn't change anything.

What is going on?

bdery, Sep 4, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

NAS looses DNS name

Welcome to the forum locally DNS isn't used it's NetBIOS how many PCs on the network they look to the PC that is Master browser for the resolution of the name so it's not updating fast enough

Samuria, Sep 4, 2016
  5. what could be a remedy?

PietKatoen, Sep 4, 2016
  6. Kbird Win User
    Kbird, Sep 6, 2016
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

What OS is your NAS running.

If it's a variant on Linux the network connection is probably done by SAMBA. If that's the case is ensure services SMB and NMB are running (or it might be SMBD and NMBD) depending on the Linux variant.

as root you should be able to see the status by typing :
    systemctl service smb(d) status
    systemctl service nmb(d) status

Now look in your SAMBA config file -- it's probably in /etc/samba directory. Select smb.conf with an editor - use something like kwrite or any decent editor --- if you don't have one copy it to Windows and use notepad to edit it.

Check the [global] section.

You need this to make Windows networking see the server

#======================= Global Settings =============

[global]
    max protocol = SMB3
    # can set it to SMB2 if you want experimental SMB2 support.
    #
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    server string = Samba Server Version %v

; max protocol = SMB2

log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 50
    security = user
    passdb backend = tdbsam
    name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins
    #============================================

You don't need wins but leave it in.
    Windows 10 networking will use SMB3 rather than NetBIOS these days which is deprecated.

To edit the file and manage services you need to logon as ROOT or under SUDO.

After updating the file restart both SMB(D) and NMB(D) services.

systemctl service smb(d) restart
    systemctl service nmb(d) restart

It will take a few seconds for the NAS to see the windows box but could take 10 / 15 mins for Windows to see it.

If it doesn't show up after say 5 mins on Windows click on the windows logo on the bottom taskbar and type run.
    From the popup screen type \\servername
    you should then see the accessible files on your server.

Don't mess around with things like lmhosts --you really don't want to mess around with wins etc on a simple home network. It's fine though to leave it in the samba.cnf file in the [global] section as shown above.

If you really need to use lmhosts - then you can easily get screwed up each time you re-boot - especially if your router is using DHCP (i.e it assigns dynamic IP addresses rather than fixed ones). The only time you need to use fixed IP addresses on a local LAN are for example if you want things like RDP to connect to your computer when you are OUTSIDE your network - such as on the Internet where you need to port forward specific ports to a particular IP address.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

NAS looses DNS name

1. NAS looses DNS name - Similar Threads - NAS looses DNS

2. DNS Name resolution not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DNS Name resolution not working: HelloHere is the scenario:I have moved three VMs from a VmWare environment to the Oracle Cloud. Two of the VMs were Windows 2019 Standard Active Directory Domain Controllers, the third VM is a Windows 2019 Standard server. As a result of the move, the IPs on all three...
  3. DNS Name resolution not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DNS Name resolution not working: HelloHere is the scenario:I have moved three VMs from a VmWare environment to the Oracle Cloud. Two of the VMs were Windows 2019 Standard Active Directory Domain Controllers, the third VM is a Windows 2019 Standard server. As a result of the move, the IPs on all three...
  4. DNS Name does not exist - error 9003

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DNS Name does not exist - error 9003: NEED HELP!!!I just check my DHCP and find this error in the log file: what is mean and how to fix ???the error: PTR record registration for IPv4 address [[x.x.x.x]] and FQDN name.domain.com failed with error 9003 DNS name does not exist.....
  5. DNS Name does not exist - error 9003

DNS Name does not exist - error 9003: NEED HELP!!!I just check my DHCP and find this error in the log file: what is mean and how to fix ???the error: PTR record registration for IPv4 address [[x.x.x.x]] and FQDN name.domain.com failed with error 9003 DNS name does not exist.....
  6. Azure DNS name servername.location.cloudapp.azure.com VS internal FQDN hostname.domain name...

Azure DNS name servername.location.cloudapp.azure.com VS internal FQDN hostname.domain name...: Hi all,a somewhat petty question that is bugging me.When I created a VM in our azure subscription, it has the DNS name in the format of servername.location.cloudapp.azure.comWhich apparently is a FQDNwhere servername is the hostname and location could be northeurope...
  7. Netbios and resolving local DNS names

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Netbios and resolving local DNS names: I am having a couple issues with one of my Windows 10 PCs (Windows 10 Pro 64 ver 1909) that appeared after I replaced my LAN's router (replaced D-Link DIR-885L with a TP-Link AX6000). Issue #1) Registry entry...
  8. Windows 10 constantly loosing manual DNS entries?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 constantly loosing manual DNS entries?: I bought two new Windows 10 laptops and configured the DNS to OpenDNS, primarily to limit malware. However, when I returned to the laptops the next day or even a few hours later, the DNS settings are gone, and the connection is reset to the original default setting. I...
  9. The DNS name does not exist

The DNS name does not exist: When I visit a foreign news website and then re-direct to another page by clicking the news title, it always displays “The DNS name does not exist. Error Code: INET_E_RESOURCE_NOT_FOUND.” However, there is no problem to visit the most of other websites and redirect to the...
  10. Can't access NAS by name

Can't access NAS by name: Yesterday I did a clean (re)install of Windows 10. All seemed ok, but today I cannot access a NAS disk by name. I can access it by IP address, and nslookup correctly resolve both name and addresses. But if I try to access \\MyBookLive (I know, - a cleverly original name.) - I...