Windows 10: NAS server not visible

Discus and support NAS server not visible in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; We have a NAS server on the network. One of our laptops recently got destroyed by water damage and had to be replaced. The new laptop is Win 10, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by bradp1979, Aug 24, 2016.

1. bradp1979 Win User

NAS server not visible

We have a NAS server on the network. One of our laptops recently got destroyed by water damage and had to be replaced. The new laptop is Win 10, and the NAS server is not visible on the network. On the old, now water-damaged laptop (Win 7), the NAS server had a desktop shortcut, so even if it wasn't visible on the network, the files could still be accessed.

How can I either force the computer to recognize the NAS server, or create a desktop icon that is linked to it without it being visible in the network listing?

Thanks.

:)

bradp1979, Aug 24, 2016
  2. TFMorgan Win User

Server not visible

Since the Win 10 version 1511 upgrade, my HP Mediasmart server and Seagate NAS drive are not visible to this computer (Intel Core i7-4770, Intel Desktop Board DH87MC motherboard, Intel Graphics, 32 Gb RAM) which is connected by cable to the Linksys WRT1900AC
    wireless router. The Mediasmart server and Seagate NAS drive are connected to the router by a cable, also. Neither device is visible in Windows Explorer. I can see them in the Network graphics pane in Windows Explorer but trying to access either results
    in a device not found or unavailable message.

The Windows Home Server Connector still works and the nightly backups are still being done on this computer. I can use the Seagate remote software to get to the NAS drive. My Surface PRO 3, the second computer in another room, my HP laptop and my cell
    phone can all see and access the two devices via wireless connection. The Mediasmart and NAS are also visible in the router display of connected devices.

What happened? I have done restarts and completely powered off the computer, rebooted the router, restarted the Mediasmart server and maybe a few other things all to no avail. Is there some way I can get these devices back to Windows Explorer?

Turner

TFMorgan, Aug 24, 2016
  3. net4u Win User
    Missing computers in Network

Hi

After 1511 update I find that all my servers in my network (running Windows 2012) and my NAS are not visible in explorer. I only see another notebook(s) that also run Windows10 (not yet updated). Otherwise from my servers in Network I can see this questioned
    notebook. This is annoying because I can't map drives that I need.

net4u, Aug 24, 2016
  4. bradp1979 Win User

NAS server not visible

bradp1979, Aug 24, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

1) First ensure W10 computer has Computer Dscovery settings enabled.

2) from menu enter RUN

3) in the popup box enter \\IPaddress or \\NASservername

you should then see the shared files on the nas server

Windows networking is always dodgy -- sometimes everything works 100% then on one computer identical to others nothing works properly !!!!.

Example Windows computer - Greyfox, Nas server computer name - Brownbear. Brownbear (Nas server) not showing in Computers in Network on file explorer.

NAS server not visible [​IMG]

An advantage also in using PLEX is that some smart TV's can handle PLEX directly via their built in apps - especially if the smart TV has built in Android OS. Plex is also good for Chromecast devices too (max resolution though limited to full 1080p HD - 4K UHD is possible with PLEX but not via a chromecast device).

The Nas server in my case is a computer running Centos 7 OS (Linux -- approx. equiv to Red Hat Enterprise). Network connections via SAMBA and PLEX media server for multi media files. PLEX media server runs easily on most versions of Linux. Same AFAIK with dedicated NAS boxes too using QNAP or whatever the standard OS is. I just find using CENTOS (Free excellent robust Linux distro) for my server system is just so much more flexible than a dedicated NAS system - however the principle is identical - SAMBA is probably being used on the server box in any case.

Incidentally PLEX will also serve sound - especially FLAC to remote Wifi speakers too -- I'm using Bose Wifi speakers -- much superior to blu tooth -- for decent sound Wifi is viable -- Bluetooth is HIDEOUS by comparison. For the Bose app (runs on mobile phone too) use Sound Touch app on the phone and then select music from your Plex media server music library --works brilliantly.

BTW -if all else fails you might need to enable NETBIOS -- you shouldn't have to these days but depending on how old the OS on your NAS server is you might need it enabled (on Windows).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 24, 2016
  6. bradp1979 Win User
    Worked like a charm. Typed "run" into the command line, then \\IPaddress, and there it was. Saved a shortcut to the desktop, and I'm golden.

Thanks!!

bradp1979, Aug 24, 2016
  7. Kbird Win User
    Are the NAS and all computers in the same WorkGroup ? and subnet ?

you should be able to see everything on the LAN , especially if all computers are on the same OS ( you still need to "share" files and folders on each computer if not using a HomeGroup, I don't)

I set Netbios to enabled (not Default) on all Win10 computer here to get it all to work.

Kbird, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

NAS server not visible

1. NAS server not visible - Similar Threads - NAS server visible

2. Trying to move aelected Public folders to a NAS server

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to move aelected Public folders to a NAS server: I followed the following instructions in a windows 10 pro on a desktop and a laptop. In both environments the explorer screen flashed like it was crashing and restarting.Regile RebMicrosoft AgentModeratorHello,To relocate your public folders, the best option is to run your...
  3. Building a server or get a NAS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Building a server or get a NAS: I'd like to build a server or NAS. I think I need a server. I am VERY much a newb when it comes to Linux. I'd like to stick with Windows unless someone can point me to some real clear YT links or something. It is for a home business with 3 PCs accessing it. I will need to...
  4. Building a server or get a NAS

in Windows 10 Support
    Building a server or get a NAS: I'd like to build a server or NAS. I think I need a server. I am VERY much a newb when it comes to Linux. I'd like to stick with Windows unless someone can point me to some real clear YT links or something. It is for a home business with 3 PCs accessing it. I will need to...
  5. NAS not visible on new laptop via wifi

NAS not visible on new laptop via wifi: Afternoon all I have a windows configuration query I can confirm there are no configuration issues with my NAS as I have no problems accessing the NAS via my own laptop via wifi I purchased a new laptop for my Son and am unable to access the NAS on his new laptop I...
  6. Ready NAS network visibility after latest windows 10 update

Ready NAS network visibility after latest windows 10 update: Ok so I read lots of threads about windows not being able to see the netgear nas drives after updates, I have made sure that SMB1 is ticked but still no joy. But what I have now is very weird. My laptop has two profiles, one profile had access before the update and still...
  7. ClearOS as headless NAS server on a VM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    ClearOS as headless NAS server on a VM: Hi folks. Nothing wrong in virtualising servers these days. anybody tried this one yet on a VM -- looks quite good for things like NAS servers --small and very fast. You just run it from a webui so it works 100% headless - normally that's what you want a NAS server to...
  8. When is a dedicated computer server better than a NAS?

When is a dedicated computer server better than a NAS?: My understanding is that a NAS is sort of the middle between an external hard drive and a computer server. It has CPU power that an external hard drive doesn't have but it's nowhere near the power of a computer server. It seems that NAS's are getting pretty popular and I...
  9. NAS not visible

NAS not visible: I am at a loss to understand why my NAS should be visible from Windows 7 machines and some Windows 10 machines but not from ALL Win 10 machines. I open file explorer and click on Network. It goes and searches for responses from devices. The other machines both real and...
  10. How to get multiple accesses to a NAS server?

How to get multiple accesses to a NAS server?: I have need to get access to 2 shares on a NAS server using different credentials - one set of credentials for occasional access to a secured share; another for continuous access to a public share. I just found out that Windows does not allow this without some game-playing....