Windows 10: Nasty popup with audio due to mis-type on address bar - window edge

Discus and support Nasty popup with audio due to mis-type on address bar - window edge in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Has anyone experienced a popup alerting to worm/virus that looks like a windows alert that is complete with audio and phone numbers? After ending task... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by ickus454, Aug 27, 2015.

1. ickus454 Win User

Nasty popup with audio due to mis-type on address bar - window edge

Has anyone experienced a popup alerting to worm/virus that looks like a windows alert that is complete with audio and phone numbers? After ending task and re-launching EDGE the alert returns. Nasty! Performed a PDR and things cleared.

:)

ickus454, Aug 27, 2015

2. Turn off Facebook notifications in Windows 10

If you are using Google Chrome for a browser, they have snuck a rather unethical setting in there on you.

chrome://settings/contentExceptions#notifications

Type or copy paste that into your address bar, hit enter and it the windows popup, scroll down to "Facebook notifications" and turn it off.

I am not sure if there is a similar invasion of this setting in MSft IE or Edge browsers.

DerrickDrew, Aug 27, 2015
  3. FrankGee1 Win User
    How can I remove a URL from the Address bar in Windows 10 Taskbar?

Please note that I am not wanting to remove
    everything from that Address bar, nor do I want to remove the Address bar itself. I just want to be able to remove (say a mis-typed) URL that is taking up space in the pop-up list of addresses/URLs.

Thanks for any help which works.

FrankGee1, Aug 27, 2015
  4. Rocky Win User

I am new to computers, what is a PDR?

Rocky, Aug 27, 2015
  5. Rocky Win User
    Thank you. Even after you explained what it stands for, I have never heard that expression before. But like I said, I am kind of late to the game, I just got into home computers in the 90s after having worked in computers in the 70s, IBM 360 and such. But thank you, you learn something new every day.

Rocky, Aug 28, 2015
  6. Rocky Win User
    Oh yeah, BTW. I still don't know what that means. Is it anything like a re-boot or a restart?

Rocky, Aug 28, 2015
  7. Cliff S New Member
    Rocky maybe he means Proper Power Reset(from Tweaking(dot)coms Windows Repair):

Cliff S, Aug 28, 2015
  8. swarfega Win User

Or just shut down your computer *Tongue

Ickus what anti virus program do you use? Do a full scan.

swarfega, Aug 28, 2015
  9. ickus454 Win User
    I am using the default windows firewall along with Defender as the antivirus. I did a full scan after the incident. Apparently it was a fishing Trojan and it did not show in the scan. All appears normal.
    Regarding software: I am trying to keep the machine as basic as I can during the Windows 10 startup. I do not want to introduce any additional variables. I have noticed that outside vendors are having issues wit their drivers being compatible. ie. My amd 6000 series Graphics drive has had at least 2 version changes since the release but that is another subject!

Oh, PDR is an acronym that was used in my industry. Means: as normal of a power down and restart as one can achieve. ( no slamming of the main power switch).

ickus454, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Nasty popup with audio due to mis-type on address bar - window edge - Similar Threads - Nasty popup audio

2. As soon as I focus on the address bar of Microsoft Edge and start typing, the CPU is 100%...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    As soon as I focus on the address bar of Microsoft Edge and start typing, the CPU is 100%...: It is very strangeAs soon as I focus on the address bar of Microsoft Edge and start typing, the CPU is 100% busy for 10-20 seconds !!!This problem is very annoyingI searched a lot on Google, but I did not see such a post for the Microsoft Edge browser I saw for Opera and...
  3. As soon as I focus on the address bar of Microsoft Edge and start typing, the CPU is 100%...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    As soon as I focus on the address bar of Microsoft Edge and start typing, the CPU is 100%...: It is very strangeAs soon as I focus on the address bar of Microsoft Edge and start typing, the CPU is 100% busy for 10-20 seconds !!!This problem is very annoyingI searched a lot on Google, but I did not see such a post for the Microsoft Edge browser I saw for Opera and...
  4. Family friend cannot log into his Lenovo Laptop due to mis-typing his email address.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Family friend cannot log into his Lenovo Laptop due to mis-typing his email address.: Hi all,Hope you are safe and well!A family friend of mine unfortunately locked himself out of his personal laptop last week and cannot get past the login stages when you first boot up your computer or laptop.Prior to this, he was prompted to create a pin by...
  5. Family friend cannot log into his Lenovo Laptop due to mis-typing his email address.

Family friend cannot log into his Lenovo Laptop due to mis-typing his email address.: Hi all,Hope you are safe and well!A family friend of mine unfortunately locked himself out of his personal laptop last week and cannot get past the login stages when you first boot up your computer or laptop.Prior to this, he was prompted to create a pin by...
  6. Family friend cannot log into his Lenovo Laptop due to mis-typing his email address.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Microsoft Edge crashing everytime I type in the search bar/address bar

Microsoft Edge crashing everytime I type in the search bar/address bar: Starting this afternoon, Edge has crashed every time I typed anything in the address bar or the search bar found on the New Tab page. I'd made no changes whatsoever to any settings. Also confirmed that it wasn't a RAM or disk space issue. I noticed that when I changed the...
  8. Problem with Edge address bar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem with Edge address bar: When I input something there and click on Enter, it directs me to IP. And It doesn’t understand when I am typing. It is not the only problem. Windows Defender is not working as well...
  9. Microsoft Edge: Paste URL into address bar

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge: Paste URL into address bar: Been using browsers since 1994's Netscape and never thought I would be asking such a question *Biggrin But... I am unable to paste a URL into the Microsoft Edge address bar. It appears the issue goes back > 4 years; and although I have searched extensively for a solution,...
  10. Edge Address bar search banner

in Windows 10 Customization
    Edge Address bar search banner: I don't want this search banner, therefore I am deleting EDGE from usage and going to Firefox. Thanks Microsoft for imposing MS software that I don't want and cant easily delete...