Windows 10: Navigation Pane On/Off in File Explorer necessarily always global?

Discus and support Navigation Pane On/Off in File Explorer necessarily always global? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there. I'm new to Windows 10 (but very familiar with all other versions of Windows from the very first!), so this is my first post here. Am I right... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JohnW2, Aug 15, 2018.

1. JohnW2 Win User

Navigation Pane On/Off in File Explorer necessarily always global?

Hi there. I'm new to Windows 10 (but very familiar with all other versions of Windows from the very first!), so this is my first post here.

Am I right in assuming that (unfortunately for me!), the option to turn on/off the Navigation Pane in File Explorer is always necessarily 'global' - i.e. there is no way of making it folder-specific? If that is the case, is there any workaround (other than using an alternative to File Explorer)?

Kind Regards, John

:)

JohnW2, Aug 15, 2018

2. Not able to open sub-folders from navigation pane in File explorer.

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Under which drive are you not able to view the sub folders?
    • Are you not able to expand the options from navigation pane of the File explorer?

This seems to be a temporary issue. Sometimes disabling and enabling some of the options will fix the issue.

Follow the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Open File explorer by pressing Windows key + E keys on the keyboard.
    • Click on View tab located at the top of the window.
    • Click on Navigation pane and uncheck Navigation pane option.
    • Close the window, follow the above steps from a to
      c
      , only this time check the option Navigation pane and check if the changes are effective.

Write back to us for further assistance, we will be happy to assist.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Aug 15, 2018
  3. Mojo418 Win User
    Zoom functions in Navigation pane of File Explorer view

Hello,

Is there a way to increase in file explorer, the navigation pane fonts and icons? The right side where it the list of drives, libraries, quick access, etc. is.

Thanks, John

Original title: file explorer

Mojo418, Aug 15, 2018
  4. Navigation Pane On/Off in File Explorer necessarily always global?

Hide or Show User Profile's Personal Folders in Navigation Pane

Thank you in advance to everyone for your help and time. Hopefully this write-up is succinct. Navigation Pane On/Off in File Explorer necessarily always global? :)
    I believe there has to be additional registry modifications to solve this issue.

Problem:
    In the Navigation Pane, specifically regarding the Current User folder tree, a Personal Folder (i.e. 3D Objects, Contacts, Desktop, etc... ) continues to show even after making active the Hidden property for that Personal Folder.

Expected Results:
    Any Personal Folder that is marked "Hidden" in the File/Folder Listings Area should also be hidden in the Navigation Pane specifically within the Current User folder tree.

Steps to recreate the issue: (the following steps assume that the option is deactivated to see hidden folders.)
    • Open File Explorer
    • Within Navigation Pane, Right-click over any blank area
    • Select menu-option "Show All Folders"
    • Select and Expand the Current User folder tree which is listed as a child object to the "Desktop" folder
    • Within the File/Folder Listings Area, Right-click on a Personal Folder
    • Select menu-option "Properties"
    • Within the new Dialogue window, Select the "General" tab, Select to Activate the Attribute "Hidden", Select the "OK" button
    • Close File Explorer and then Open File Explorer
    • Select the Current User folder in the Navigation Pane
    • Notice the recently-hidden folder is still showing in the Navigation Pane even though it is hidden in the File/Folder Listings Area.

System Specs:
    • Edition: Windows 10 Home 64bit
    • Version: 1709
    • OS Build: 16299.371
    • Hard Drives: 2 (SSD & Mechanical)
    • C:\ = SSD
    • D:\ = Mechanical

Current Modifications of System:
    • The %UserProfile% system folder was successfully transferred to D:\ by using Sysprep during Windows Setup. This is the only system folder moved to another drive.

Current Modifications of File Explorer in Navigation Pane: (using Regedit)
    • Hidden = Quick Access
    • Hidden = Libraries
    • Hidden = OneDrive
    • Hidden = Homegroup
    • Hidden = This PC user personal folders

Current Modifications of File Explorer in Folder/File Listing Area:
    • Each unwanted Personal Folder was changed to "Hidden" by Right-clicking the folder and Checking the Attribute checkbox marked "Hidden".

3rd-Party Software Installed:

• Classic Shell
    • Mozilla Firefox
    • IObit Driver Booster
    • Macrium Reflect

TechGuy737, Aug 15, 2018
Thema:

Navigation Pane On/Off in File Explorer necessarily always global?

1. Navigation Pane On/Off in File Explorer necessarily always global? - Similar Threads - Navigation Pane Off

2. Navigation pane partially hidden in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Navigation pane partially hidden in File Explorer?: My navigation pane in File Explorer has been hidden like this for a while now and I can't figure out what is wrong. I may have clicksomething but I don't remember what. When I go to Navigation pane option under View, nothing seems to help. Couldn't find anything online about...
  3. File Explorer Completetly Broken. Navigation Pane

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Completetly Broken. Navigation Pane: My navigation pane in file explorer is completly broken and currupt and idk what to do to fix it / revert it. this happened ever since the new tabs update.I cant see my C: drive main drive. I cant see my usb sticks, i cant see my main directories such as the download, desktop...
  4. Restore onedrive to file explorer navigation pane

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restore onedrive to file explorer navigation pane: Hello,OneDrive is missing from Navigation Pane in File Explorer and I cannot bring it back.I already tried:Uninstall from control panel -> reinstallUnlink this PC -> relinkVarious registry editing methodsRunning %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /resetDISM and...
  5. Dynamic Navigation Pane File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dynamic Navigation Pane File Explorer: Hey guys, I hope everyone is doing well! Quick question, does anyone know how to or rather if there even is a way, to be able to set the navigation pane in File Explorer to dynamically minimize and maximise on mouse hover? I have pined the option to show and hide navigation...
  6. WIndows 10, File Explorer, Navigation Pane.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WIndows 10, File Explorer, Navigation Pane.: In File Explorer - I have a OneDrive Picture folder. I have a This PC Picture folder. They are the same - and I can understand that. BUT I also have a Local Disk/Users/Bill/Picture folder. This is different. I am the only user of the laptop. I thought maybe This PC was just...
  7. WIndows 10, File Explorer, Navigation Pane.

WIndows 10, File Explorer, Navigation Pane.: I'm baffled by WIndows 10, File Explorer, Navigation Pane. This morning I had a "Picture" folder - appearing under "This PC" and "Local Disk C" - located in C/User/Bill. I then set my picture folder to backup to OneDrive. Suddenly my "Picture" folder has been put in a...
  8. Navigation pane in File Explorer always opens to the bottom

in Windows 10 Support
    Navigation pane in File Explorer always opens to the bottom: I have a link to the F: drive on the task bar which does get me to my files quickly. However, the left panel is always at the bottom even after trying both solutions here. I previously had a couple more folders on the desktop that were at the bottom of the left panel so...
  9. Expand File Explorer Navigation Pane

Expand File Explorer Navigation Pane: Now and then I want to view the full folder tree in Navigation Pane of File Explorer. There are some options to keep the folder tree open, but most of the time they are a pain in the butt. When I do want the tree visible, I have to go to the root disk and open each parent...
  10. Ions changed in Navigation pane but not in File explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Ions changed in Navigation pane but not in File explorer: Ok so weird... YES I'M GONNA REBOOT but check this out... look at the icons if you look at my pc through the Homegroup....weird. Attachment 128650 hi there i have this problem too i run Windows 10 1709 Fall update.the icons change in Navigation pane but not in File...