Windows 10: Nearly Full SSD VS HDD

Discus and support Nearly Full SSD VS HDD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; If i were to nearly fill my SSD, and it were to slow down. how would that perform compared to a non full HDD? would it make the SSD slower than the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hal0freak, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Hal0freak Win User

Nearly Full SSD VS HDD

If i were to nearly fill my SSD, and it were to slow down. how would that perform compared to a non full HDD? would it make the SSD slower than the HDD? or would it still be faster?

:)

Hal0freak, Jul 27, 2015
  2. Randalfox Win User

windows 10 SSD storage filling up

I have just purchased a new MSI lap top, it has 2 hard drives. one is a 256 GB SSD which was meant for Windows OS only and the other is a 1 TB HDD which was for all other files and programs. however The SSD is the default drive and is nearly full, the HDD
    is nearly empty. I tried moving folders and ended up with a disaster! now that its mostly working, I'm back to the same dilemma... how do I SAFELY free up my SSD drive and make the HDD the default?

Randalfox, Jul 27, 2015
  3. SSD VS HDD

SSD VS HDD

I know that a ssd is much more efficient in terms of performance but does it out perform storage wise?

250 SSD better than 500 HDD?

Or do you still need to buy the 500 to be comparable in storage?

SatvinderBal, Jul 27, 2015
  4. bro67 Win User

Nearly Full SSD VS HDD

Neither would matter how many 1's and 0's are stored on them. SSD's perform faster, because the data is stored in NVRAM vs that platters store the data via polarity for the 1's and 0's.

Both will still reserve a section of the storage for bad sectors & temporary storage of data as asked by the OS to load.

bro67, Jul 27, 2015
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

A simpler explanation -- SSD's have no moving parts so even a large SSD the data can be found VERY Quickly -- the data is in the form of an address and it can be found and accessed very quickly. It doiesn't matter how full or empty the SSD is.

An HDD is a ROTATING device so the system after decoding WHERE on the HDD the data actually exists a finite time is taken to rotate the HDD to the correct position for the read heads to actually READ the data.

These times might be small but they are 100,000's times SLOWER than the virtually instantaneous mechanism of the SSD. (No rotational delay etc).

In addition apart from the delay caused by the mechanics of a rotating device the actual data transfer is much slower than on an SSD.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 27, 2015
  6. Hal0freak Win User
    So then i should be able to get near filling it without the SSD slowing down at all?

Hal0freak, Jul 27, 2015
  7. CountMike New Member
    It may slow down on HDD as well as SSD, Windows need some empty space to work properly anyway. 15 -20% (or 10 GB) is highly recommended. Drive itself may not slow down but Windows will and will nag you about it often if there's no enough of available space. Some SSDs automatically reserve some space that you'll never see for it's automatic maintenance (Over provisioning) but some don't. Pay attention to real space used, it may not be exact if you look at it with standard Windows tools.

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Nearly Full SSD VS HDD

1. Nearly Full SSD VS HDD - Similar Threads - Nearly Full SSD

2. 1TB SSD won't back up to nearly empty 4TB HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    1TB SSD won't back up to nearly empty 4TB HDD: I have a PC that I built to double as my wife's work computer and a file/media server for the house. Her work is mainly web based so it's not very resource intensive. She said its been bogging down lately so I logged in to see what I could find. The giant red flag for me that...
  3. C drive nearly full

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C drive nearly full: In This PC>Devices and Drives, the C drive is showing as nearly full 18.4GB free of 449GB and the bar is red instead of blue. Need I take any remedial action, and if so how?...
  4. C drive nearly full

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C drive nearly full: In This PC>Devices and Drives, the C drive is showing as nearly full 18.4GB free of 449GB and the bar is red instead of blue. Need I take any remedial action, and if so how?...
  5. C drive nearly full

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Performance of software installed on SSD vs HDD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Performance of software installed on SSD vs HDD: I have 230 GB Nvme ssd on my laptop as well as 1TB hdd. I have kept my SSD strictly for windows 10 and software installation. All my downloads, desktop files go straight to HDD. I was having a discussion with my friend who stated that performance of windows installed on SSD...
  7. Performance of software installed on SSD vs HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Performance of software installed on SSD vs HDD: I have 230 GB Nvme ssd on my laptop as well as 1TB hdd. I have kept my SSD strictly for windows 10 and software installation. All my downloads, desktop files go straight to HDD. I was having a discussion with my friend who stated that performance of windows installed on SSD...
  8. one drive nearly full

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    one drive nearly full: my one drive is nearly full apparently what do i need to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/one-drive-nearly-full/ce975513-cdde-4409-97ce-77a0af704ca6
  9. HDD vs SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HDD vs SSD: Hello, I recently bought a new HP laptop. Knew that it had an HDD but wasn't enough to deter me (all other specs were MUCH better than what I was working with otherwise). Went to defrag a few weeks after buying, and apparently defragmentation is unavailable because it shows...
  10. SSD nearly full. Can I partition my HDD to install more programs?

in Windows 10 Support
    SSD nearly full. Can I partition my HDD to install more programs?: . I have Win 10 Pro, with 128GB SSD (C: drive), and 1TB HDD (E: drive). The SSD now has 9GB of free space.I want to know if I can partition my E drive to allow, say, 50GB partition for further programs, leaving the remainder of the drive for data. I use Macrium for...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 128 gb ssd in my pc nealy full