Windows 10: Need a new Anti-Virus.

Discus and support Need a new Anti-Virus. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I got a Critical update on the 17th. Since then, Tablet(Windows 10) has been running slow. Tried doing a System Restore. AVG blocked the restore. Ended... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by milford, Feb 18, 2016.

1. milford Win User

Need a new Anti-Virus.

I got a Critical update on the 17th. Since then, Tablet(Windows 10) has been running slow. Tried doing a System Restore. AVG blocked the restore. Ended up removing AVG. Tried Windows Defender. Updated it and tried to run the scan. Defender kept freezing 3 seconds into the scan. Nuts.

So now I'm looking for a free, good, low impact anti-virus with real time protection.. (Tablet only has 2 gigs. memory.) Just downloaded, Avast, 360 Total Protection, and Panda. Any suggestions?
    Thanks for any help.

:)

milford, Feb 18, 2016
  2. augustya Win User

N 900 antivirus

So does that mean one doesn't need to install a Anti-Virus once he buys a new N900 and safely use it as it is without having to worry that a Virus will infect it.

Does one need to install a Anti-Virus in N900 ?

augustya, Feb 18, 2016
  3. Does a Lumia device need an Anti-virus?

Did Lumia needs antivirus to be downloaded who can I protect my cell from virus.

Moderator's Note: The subject was amended as the post was moved to the most appropriate board.

amit118---01, Feb 18, 2016
  4. eLPuSHeR Win User

Need a new Anti-Virus.

eLPuSHeR, Feb 18, 2016
  5. That;s a let down for AVG there for sure! I ran with AVG for several years prior to seeing internet security as far as web filtering being added into the better featured versions of Norton as well as the one I have now been running for the last 6yrs. VIPRE Internet Security. That had been recommended to me by a mechanical engineer who had done some work for MS at times back in 2010. The latest free 30 day trial can be found at VIPRE Internet Security - Free Trial | VIPRE Antivirus

With Tablets of course you want protections that won't chew up system resources which at one time gave the Symantec System Works as well as Norton the bloatware title. VIPRE on the other hand has a very light footprint. But for a second opinion by a former Symantec Security analyst when recently asked what was the preferred program from that source I got told the free version of BitDefender is what was he would recommend as far as for any free av programs go. He should know what works in the freebies since that is still his profession. Of course that software still sees 30 day trials as well. Download Antivirus Software - Bitdefender Downloads

Night Hawk, Feb 18, 2016
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    I agree but first I would just use defender and do some research until you find the one you really want free/paid. Defender will suffice until then,

Jeff

BunnyJ, Feb 18, 2016
  7. VIPRE has been an ideal program here for several years now. But I had to offer the observations made by others who have worked in the OS security areas.

Night Hawk, Feb 18, 2016
  8. BunnyJ New Member

Need a new Anti-Virus.

Interesting.. I'll check it out later on today. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Feb 18, 2016
  9. It's a good one! Going with the Internet Security suit even with Norton or some other program is what will add the extra layers of security however especially on a tablet where most everything is web accessed to begin with. You want the web filtering to block the bad as well as some of the questionable places while allowing the good sites to be visited! That cuts the malware risks down by a good 99% on the spot!

The rest of any traps is usually seen with some type of user interaction like clicking on a bombshell link someone gets enticed to! From the regular usage here not only on my desktops but by others those malwares with an exception a friend's kid clicking on a scam ware type trap have been avoided as the parents have been sharing first an old Vista laptop as well as the 8.1 models.

The initial advice of VIPRE being a top rated av program by the engineer so far has been found to 100% which is good! That same source had immediately identified the exact problems an old Vista build saw when it suddenly gave out after the retail 7 was on for a bit. Both supply and board had given out as a failing cap in the supply weakened a chip on the MB! Sure enough when going to try a new supply on the board and try the old supply on a different board both were found to be doa! The 6yrs, since after seeing AVG replaced have also seen the favorable results as well as why I call the web filtering the "Overprotective Nanny" at times since even some sites found later to be clean are suspect when certain types of coding look suspicious and not one bug has ever gotten through since as soon as you open a folder where you downloaded something WHAMO! it gets quarantined even for toolbar options in some of these freeware apps!

This is only way I will recommend any particular program is by putting it through the grills enough times! If it doesn't live up to expectations good bye!

Night Hawk, Feb 18, 2016
  10. Winuser Win User
    I think you need to find out why your system slowed down and why Defender froze. Defender should run without a problem.

Winuser, Feb 18, 2016
  11. davidhk Win User
    davidhk, Feb 18, 2016
  12. Anything is possible as I outlined in my post there! It's best to assume no program is ever completely 100% regardless of who makes it! Multiple layers of protections as well as common sense will usually get you much further along however!

Night Hawk, Feb 18, 2016
  13. milford Win User

Need a new Anti-Virus.

Have you noticed that 10 different labs can come up with 10 different #1 rated anti virus software?

milford, Feb 18, 2016
  14. BunnyJ New Member
    Yes,, that's why it can be hard to select an AV. When in doubt I would stick with Defender/Malware Bytes and use your brain,, the best AV ever made. *Wink

BunnyJ, Feb 18, 2016
  15. I had the advantage for having had a few good sources to get advice from as well as having simply run with the AVG free edition before 7 came along and then was pointed at the free 30 day trial period when finding AVG simply wasn't going to cut it any longer along with not wanting any more internet security useless toolbars added onto IE back then! That was also the time that IE 9 followed by IE 10 soon after was running into problems keeping multiple browser windows open! IE would keep locking up!

Common sense will usually be the most effective out of anything while when going to advise on what "paid for" software to get when talking to others I had to find a program worth the effort as well as the $$$! The reviews are typically too one sided in contrast to being 100% totally objective since these companies will say "make us look good!" to the reviewer(s)?! And some of the latest reports indicate some of these companies make big claims and see favorable reviews while having shady practices as well?

Night Hawk, Feb 18, 2016
Thema:

Need a new Anti-Virus.

1. Need a new Anti-Virus. - Similar Threads - Need Anti Virus

2. Anti virus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Anti virus: You taken money from my account twice. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/anti-virus/dc66fc03-d9e9-4073-a253-4907e5c5e6ec
  3. anti virus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    anti virus: I BOUGHT A ACER ASPIRER 3 LAPTOP ON EBAY , I AM HAPPY WITH IT WAS NEW ONE OPENED BUT NOT USED ,I BOUGHT IT ON THE 09/2O21 BUT IT PREINSTALLED ANTIVRUS ON NORTON AND McAfee ? not sure if they are same company , but i am getting pestered by emails , and pop-ups when I TRY TO...
  4. Anti-Virus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Anti-Virus: Does Microsoft family features have anti-virus protection? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/anti-virus/ce4ea72a-e824-464f-9934-4d58e990b41c
  5. anti virus

anti virus: Can I run AVG anti virus along with Windows Defender https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/anti-virus/934f8e1b-28d3-4e6c-9bad-d2a36c616128
  6. Do I need an Anti-Virus?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Do I need an Anti-Virus?: I am an advanced user, and I don't like having Windows Defender. I like to use Malwarebytes, AVG, or similar. Should I install an AV, or am I fine without it? Edit: Also, it is a dualboot with Linux Mint 19.3 submitted by /u/Kitten622 [link] [comments]...
  7. Anti-virus

Anti-virus: I turned off windows anti-virus temporarily. And after that, it says my antivirus is managed by my organization. Do you have any ideas on how to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/anti-virus/e4ee73b4-9a3b-49bf-a111-30b138c063d6
  8. Anti-Virus

Anti-Virus: Which is the best anti-virus for Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/anti-virus/1db9fa74-6a73-43c0-9d79-6d1eda9c0749
  9. anti virus

in Windows 10 Customization
    anti virus: Hi my anti virus is not activated and i don't have anyother anti virus program installed in my computer any soulotion ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/anti-virus/ee86beff-02f1-4265-854d-d048ab2a5b04
  10. New Malwarebytes 3.0 and the need for anti virus internet security

New Malwarebytes 3.0 and the need for anti virus internet security: Hey Guys, How goes it. So today here I want to pick the brains of some you, and see what your feelings are on the new malware bytes 3 pro and the need for antivirus. As far as malwarebytes just free alone we know its awesome and I'm considering the changing the way I...