Windows 10: Need a new HDD making sure I can upgrade before I do

Discus and support Need a new HDD making sure I can upgrade before I do in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I never upgraded to Windows 10 and my HDD crashed on me. I need to buy a new one and was going to upgrade to 10 cause I don't have my Windows 7 install... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BudWheel, Jun 24, 2017.

1. BudWheel Win User

Need a new HDD making sure I can upgrade before I do

I never upgraded to Windows 10 and my HDD crashed on me. I need to buy a new one and was going to upgrade to 10 cause I don't have my Windows 7 install disk anymore. I do have the the windows key sticker on my computer still. Can I use that if I were to download the Windows 10 iso? I know you can secretly get 10 still but what it sounds like I would have to have 7 or 8.1 installed which that won't happen unless I bought the cd again. Maybe someone knows an alternative? Just so you know I did google this and looked to the forum about 15 pages and couldn't find my answer unless I over looked something. Thanks.

:)

BudWheel, Jun 24, 2017
  2. Martmcd Win User

New Window 10 clean install question

you must upgrade first from a qualifying product and make sure it has activated before considering a clean install.

having upgraded you can create a Recovery Drive (bootable USB) and boot from that to install on a new HDD or you can download the ISO and use that.

after you have upgraded there will no need to reinstall Windows 7, not even for a new HDD.

Martmcd, Jun 24, 2017
  3. taskerus Win User
    windows 10 clean install product key

Upgrade from W7 to W10 on old HDD and clean install on new SSD?

I just purchased a new dell computer with Windows 7 Pro installed on a HDD.

I want to change the HDD to a SSD and upgrade from W7 to W10.

I want to do a clean install of W10 on the new SSD and install the appropriate device drivers.

It is my understanding that before I do a clean install on an empty drive I first need to upgrade to Windows 10 from an activated install of Windows 7, then when I do the clean install I can leave the product key blank and the clean install will still activate
    successfully?

My question has to do with the new SSD. The Dell computer is brand new .
    Can I do the Window 7 to Windows 10 upgrade on the old drive HDD and then put in the new SSD and do a clean install, or do I need to change the HDD to the SSD before doing the upgrade? which would then require than wiping the new SSD to do a clean install?

I would like to save the step of copying the Dell HDD image to the new SSD prior doing the upgrade, but I'm concerned that by upgrading on one drive and than trying to auto-activate on a new drive might result in an activation issue.

taskerus, Jun 24, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Welcome to TenForums @BudWheel

Periodically I've seen reports on this forum that an upgrade will still activate and get a digital licence, even though MS has said that the offer is over.

Since the Anniversary Update you don't need to upgrade an existing installed 7 or 8, the key from the old OS is sufficient to prove entitlement. Whether that will work with the key from your sticker is something you'll have to find out for yourself. Is it an OEM sticker? Or did you purchase a retail W7 and keep the sticker from that?

5. NavyLCDR New Member
    1. It's no secret that you can still upgrade Windows 7 or 8/8.1 to Windows 10 for free.
    2. The product key printed on the Windows 7 sticker should activate the matching version of Windows 10.
    3. You don't have to purchase a Windows 7 DVD to install Windows 7. You can download the Windows 7 ISO file from Microsoft and make your own installation USB flash drive or DVD.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Need a new HDD making sure I can upgrade before I do - Similar Threads - Need HDD making

2. I must be sure, I can do this . . .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I must be sure, I can do this . . .: I have, a laptop computer. Running, Windows 10.As you can see, by the attached picture.That's Disk Management. Showing, my hard drives.As you, can see. My C: drive, is solid-state.I also have, a D: drive. Both just short, of 1TBI'm having issues. And wanted, to reformat the...
  3. I must be sure, I can do this . . .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I must be sure, I can do this . . .: I have, a laptop computer. Running, Windows 10.As you can see, by the attached picture.That's Disk Management. Showing, my hard drives.As you, can see. My C: drive, is solid-state.I also have, a D: drive. Both just short, of 1TBI'm having issues. And wanted, to reformat the...
  4. I must be sure, I can do this . . .

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Do i need to erase the HDD before installing Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do i need to erase the HDD before installing Windows 10?: Hello. Is it necessary to run DBAN to erase the information from the disk, before I install Windows 10, so it can be guaranteed there won't be information from the previous OS, which could lead to malfunction and software conflicts when the old information is mixed with the...
  6. Do i need to erase the HDD before installing Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Do i need to erase the HDD before installing Windows 10?: Hello. Is it necessary to run DBAN to erase the information from the disk, before I install Windows 10, so it can be guaranteed there won't be information from the previous OS, which could lead to malfunction and software conflicts when the old information is mixed with the...
  7. Do i need to erase the HDD before installing Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. How do I effectively make sure my data is safe before formatting?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I effectively make sure my data is safe before formatting?: Hi, I recently had some error with my Windows installation. Not sure what it is, but my motherboard isn't recognizing my boot drive (C:\) and my Windows installation. So, I'm going to format said boot drive (C:\) and reinstall Windows. However, how do I back up all my...
  9. Do I need to mess with my partitions before I upgrade to W10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Do I need to mess with my partitions before I upgrade to W10?: https://i.imgur.com/dr4PPFZ.png I'm running W7 and those are my current partitions, I want to use the reset option when I upgrade to get rid of everything, the only partition I really know out of those 3 is my main OS one. Do I need to delete any of these prior to...
  10. Can I upgrade and then clean install with a new HDD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I upgrade and then clean install with a new HDD?: Hi all, I'm finally thinking to upgrade from W7 to W10. Here's the situation at the moment: 1) 256GB System SSD 2) 1TB data HDD 3) 3TB Raid 1 HDD for backup I want to mount a new 500GB SSD as primary system drive, so I was thinking to use this occasion to put W10...