Windows 10: Need a router!

Discus and support Need a router! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Need to replace my router but know nothing about them! 3000 sq ft single level home Grandsons do a lot of gaming Wife binge watches Netflix... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by anaron, Dec 3, 2017.

1. anaron Win User

Need a router!

Need to replace my router but know nothing about them!

3000 sq ft single level home
    Grandsons do a lot of gaming
    Wife binge watches Netflix
    Multiple devices will be in use at same time
    Currently have a Buffalo AC 1300 4 port with a Netgear 5 port switch so need as many ports as I can get
    And anything else ya'll might think of

Ron

:)

anaron, Dec 3, 2017

2. Xbox App "Server Connectivity" "Blocked"

Thank you for your response. If you are still experiencing the same issue after performing the solutions on the link above, it is possible that the Teredo connectivity is blocked by the home router. This issue occurs when an IPv6 connection is detected.
    Some routers will block Teredo connectivity if they detect that an IPv6 connection is present on the WAN (Wide Area Network) of the router. You need to configure your router to enable Teredo connectivity. You may also need to update your router's firmware
    to the latest version in order for it to function properly.

Please refer to your router's documentation or contact the router manufacturer for further assistance on how to configure your router settings.

If you need more help, feel free to reply to this post anytime.

Loraine Mon, Dec 3, 2017
  3. lacrumb Win User
    Every Wi-Fi Signal Not In Range

What router?

Sound like you need a new router and a better Internet provider.

Have you tried Ethernet cable to you router?

lacrumb, Dec 3, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Need a router!

I use an 8-port Switch connected to my 4-port Wireless Router and have both printers connected via Ethernet plus 2 NAS drives. Only have 6 computers [each with a different Operating System] connected via Ethernet but any number of Wi-Fi Notebooks depending upon need at the time. My system is all Gigabit/802.11n but a newer AC version may offer faster Wi-Fi than what you have now.
    802.11ac vs 802.11n - What’s the difference between the Wi-Fi standards? | Trusted Reviews

A problem with houses or buildings is whatever is between the Router and the computers. With old houses it may be insulation [the foil covering], lead-based paint, too many walls in a direct line, electrical devices such as appliances. Some folks have success with powerline networking [haven't needed it yet], others have success by putting a second Router closer to the need using an Ethernet cable, some have success with a second Router or Repeater.

Berton, Dec 3, 2017
  5. EdTittel Win User
    I agree with Berton's recommendations, and would also point you to WiFi range extenders (see this Lifewire story for some interesting options) or mesh networking options (see this ezvid.com story ditto earlier remark). Basically, it boils down to providing more, better, and faster WiFi coverage which, as Berton has already observed, can be especially important in older homes.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 3, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    The key is to get one that supports AC wireless as that gives a speed up to 3 gigs lots of devices now use AC

Samuria, Dec 3, 2017
  7. anaron Win User
    Thanks for the comments but what I am really looking for is recommendations for a good router. My old system has worked for years but recently has started having connectivity issues.

anaron, Dec 4, 2017
  8. Need a router!

PolarNettles, Dec 4, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    I've had very good experience with my Netgear R7000 router which is AC1900. I've had it for several years now. It's got a NAS and two switches running off it's ports, with another NAS and various other devices running off the two switches. And tons of WiFi devices. It sits in the basement of my two story house. I have a WiFi repeater/bridge in my daughter's upstairs bedroom that runs her TV that need a wired Ethernet connection and gives me strong WiFi signal upstairs, but it communicates with the R7000 over WiFi two floors down just fine (on both bands).

Netgear has expanded the Nighthawk series up to AC3200. The thing is you also need the WiFi adapters capable of going up to what the router puts out. If you get an AC3200 router and your best network adapter is only AC1900, that's all you will get - is AC1900.

I would buy another Netgear Nighthawk router in a heartbeat, if this one ever dies.

NavyLCDR, Dec 4, 2017
  10. bro67 Win User
    You do not need a Router, what you need is a Mesh Network like Google's or Engenius. The other choice would be multiple Access Points that use Power Over Ethernet. You could probably get away with two of the Engenius EAP-1750H, if placed in two areas of the home that they overlap and the channels are properly set up.

I use only one and can go 150 feet away from it and still have up to 27mbps on a speedtest, which is around 50mbps down while anywhere inside my home.

bro67, Dec 6, 2017
  11. bro67 Win User
    Actually this Forum is a better place than Smallnetbuilder. It is because of these type of forums, that you tend to find those who work in the industry and those like myself who have been around this stuff since day one.

You just need to look at the list of equipment I run, to show that there are people who know what they are doing when it comes to setting up a proper network. Only item I have removed from my network was the wired Cisco RV-320, since I use my ISP's Gateway for Ethernet only, so that I could access my tv boxes.

bro67, Dec 6, 2017
  12. Barman58 Win User
    I think that what this thread shows above all else is that the whole market is a very vibrant affair, some of this is due at least in part from the quality of the devices supplied by ISPs, (can only talk of the UK in this). ISP supplied routers and general infrastructure devices are built (modified) down to a price and not up to quality. A lot of these run specially written "dumbed down" software so as not to Confuse customers (or perhaps it's the ISP helpdesk staff *Zip )

If you are looking at any of the main names in the business you can be sure that you will see a dramatic improvement over the devices supplied with the service by the ISP. Over the years I've used a lot of different Network devices, Am currently using a TP-Link set-up based around an Archer C7 ( I can sit in the car around 200 - 300 feet from router, and the phone connects and works perfectly on Both bands), and a couple of Switches but go to any of the well known manufacturers as others do here, and you should be good for a few years it's a very volatile market with competing technical specs. get the best you can afford, not sure if waiting till after the Holiday period will improve Pricing where you are, but I often see a huge drop in price as new devices are released so "last year's model" could be good value.

There are these days numerous smartphone apps for setting up the network , check local band usage and select a quiet area in the spectrum can improve things no end (Remember to check both bands on a dual band set-up), and can also highlight bad reception areas and suggest where repeaters ( or ethernet or PowerPlugs) are needed.

Barman58, Dec 6, 2017
  13. Need a router!

I use a router that has WDS, connected my router to the ONU wirelessly and then place the router to a location where every room will have a decent wifi signal.

RoasterMen, Dec 6, 2017
  14. anaron Win User
    Lots of good ideas as usual! Researching them all but it is daunting when I get into reviews of equipment on which no one seems to agree! On top of that, my network printer is no longer recognized by the network. Works perfectly off usb but not the router!

anaron, Dec 6, 2017
  15. bro67 Win User
    Most likely you need to look at the config for the printer to see why the Ethernet port is not active.

Again, you do not need a router, you need multiple Access Points or a Mesh network, which consist of one Router and two or more Access Point pucks. Otherwise, go with a Wired Gateway, a good switch like the Netgear GS series and a POE based set of Access Points like the Engenius EAP-1750h.

bro67, Dec 7, 2017
Thema:

Need a router!

1. Need a router! - Similar Threads - Need router

2. lost my router password. Now I need to add a new device. Help!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    lost my router password. Now I need to add a new device. Help!: Someone else set up my router connection. now I need to add another device. How do I find my password? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-my-router-password-now-i-need-to-add-a-new/e4057ba4-04c0-4f4b-8945-4dfad3394e65
  3. lost my router password. Now I need to add a new device. Help!

in Windows 10 Customization
    lost my router password. Now I need to add a new device. Help!: Someone else set up my router connection. now I need to add another device. How do I find my password? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-my-router-password-now-i-need-to-add-a-new/e4057ba4-04c0-4f4b-8945-4dfad3394e65
  4. lost my router password. Now I need to add a new device. Help!

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. On my home router, IPv6 is not connected. Everything is working fine. Do I really need...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    On my home router, IPv6 is not connected. Everything is working fine. Do I really need...: My router currently doesn’t have IPv6 connected. Is it really necessary for a home router? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/on-my-home-router-ipv6-is-not-connected-everything/9fd888da-c903-462f-9abb-1197f20affd2
  6. On my home router, IPv6 is not connected. Everything is working fine. Do I really need...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    On my home router, IPv6 is not connected. Everything is working fine. Do I really need...: My router currently doesn’t have IPv6 connected. Is it really necessary for a home router? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/on-my-home-router-ipv6-is-not-connected-everything/9fd888da-c903-462f-9abb-1197f20affd2
  7. On my home router, IPv6 is not connected. Everything is working fine. Do I really need...

8. I need some help. Yesterday I connected to my router, it has 4G and 5G network. I usually...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need some help. Yesterday I connected to my router, it has 4G and 5G network. I usually...: I just bought this laptop a month ago and i think the problem is with the laptop not router because on my phone the 5G speed is also around 100 mbps but suddenly the Speed dropped to 5 mbps....
  9. I need some help. Yesterday I connected to my router, it has 4G and 5G network. I usually...

I need some help. Yesterday I connected to my router, it has 4G and 5G network. I usually...: I just bought this laptop a month ago and i think the problem is with the laptop not router because on my phone the 5G speed is also around 100 mbps but suddenly the Speed dropped to 5 mbps....
  10. The password on my router has been changed and I need to know how to enter the new password...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The password on my router has been changed and I need to know how to enter the new password...: The password on my router has been changed now I can't log on to a network. How do I change the security key/password on the network I'm trying to log into?...