Windows 10: Need a subtitle file

Discus and support Need a subtitle file in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a DVD video that has guitar lessons on it which I’m trying to learn. The only problem is that I have a hearing problem and would like to have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Frank1, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Frank1 Win User

Need a subtitle file

I have a DVD video that has guitar lessons on it which I’m trying to learn. The only problem is that I have a hearing problem and would like to have sub titles on it. The DVDs were made for apple so I had to install an app called “VLC Media Player” to open them. As I’m listening to them there is a button at the top that says “subtitle.” I click on it and it tells me to add a subtitle file. But I can’t seem to download any. Does anyone know what I can do to get the sub titles?

:)

Frank1, Nov 5, 2017
  2. Entegy Win User

How to watch subtitles of personal video

The SRT file needs to be the in the same folder as the video and have the exact same name as the video. The subtitles option will then be available in the playback menu when watching the movie.

So for example, if you have a video called MY_VIDEO.mp4, your subtitle file needs to be called MY_VIDEO.srt.

Entegy, Nov 5, 2017
  3. TechNetTI Win User
    Subtitles in videos in Windows 10.

This app still needs an update to properly deal with subtitles files an play them.

If a SRT file are in the same folder of the video file and has the same name, it should play automatically or allow the user to set it this way.

Here, I'm still unable to get it to play SRT subtitles with a MP4 1080p video. We always can see the video, but not the subtitles.

TechNetTI, Nov 5, 2017
  4. CountMike New Member

Need a subtitle file

Check in the folder Video.TS on the dvd, should be in there.

CountMike, Nov 5, 2017
  5. Frank1 Win User
    Mike, thank you for your response and you are absolute correct about the files being there. But I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to use it. There is something that I must be doing wrong because I can’t see any subtitles. When I open I see two files; one is Audio_TS and the other is VIDEO_TS. If I click on Audio_TS nothing comes up. If I click on video_TS , I get several files such as
    VTS_OL_D.BUP, VIDEO_TS.IFD and several others with similar names. I can then open my media
    But I see no subtitle. Is there any way that you can see what I do not understand? I thank you very much for any help that you can give me. Frank

Frank1, Nov 8, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    In a conventional DVD Video disk, if it includes subtitles they will be embedded in the video track. Open File Explorer at This PC, right-click on the DVD drive and choose 'Play with VLC media player'. This should open the DVD and play it, complete with all the menus you'd expect when playing the DVD on a TV using a conventional DVD player.

One of the menus available is often called Setup (or Settings, or similar). There should be an option there to turn on subtitles. That of course is assuming the DVD was made to include subtitles. A DVD of a film, for example often has a choice of subtitle tracks in various languages. VLC can use these subtitles exactly as you would in a normal DVD player.

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Need a subtitle file

1. Need a subtitle file - Similar Threads - Need subtitle file

2. The Subtitle Conundrum

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The Subtitle Conundrum: This is with reference to Films and TV.I have created an SRT file, consisting of subtitles in the Devanagari script that is used in such languages as Hindi, Sanskrit, and a few others. When I open the relevant video in Films and TV, and select that SRT file, it seems not to...
  3. Subtitles

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Subtitles: I just want to change the way Windows display subtitles here are two types of subtitles I want as the first one not like the second.Please anyone let me know how to do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/subtitles/cb8a93c1-24f8-4931-87f6-fce159b59906
  4. Subtitles

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Subtitles: I just want to change the way Windows display subtitles here are two types of subtitles I want as the first one not like the second.Please anyone let me know how to do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/subtitles/cb8a93c1-24f8-4931-87f6-fce159b59906
  5. Hardcoding Subtitle into a Movie file

in Windows 10 Support
    Hardcoding Subtitle into a Movie file: Hello,To hard-code a subtitle into a movie I use "HandBrake" program. The text on the finished video is white with a large black shadow.I searched into the program how to remove that shadow or make it smaller but did not find anything alike.I will appreciate to get any help...
  6. Subtitle formatting with VTT files?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Subtitle formatting with VTT files?: Hello! I previously posted this to the Simple Questions thread but it doesn’t seem to be a simple enough question to have generated much of a response so posting wider... hope that’s okay! :) I recorded a meeting on Zoom and have downloaded the video and VTT files. I am...
  7. Subtitles

in Windows 10 Customization
    Subtitles: I have a fairly new Acer Predator Helios 300. Tried to watch movies for the first time today and can't get any video player to display subtitles. I'm sure I'm missing a setting somewhere but have never had this problem before. Any suggestions would be great....
  8. SUBTITLE FILES -srt files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SUBTITLE FILES -srt files: Good day Yesterday I tried to play a subtitle to a movie I was viewing but it didn't work when checking the sub it views a blank tile when I right click it says its a srt file and that its unable to be used on windows 10 after I upgraded. This was never a problem before I...
  9. Displaying subtitles

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Displaying subtitles: When I play video .mkv with subtitles in Movies & TV app, the subtitles are not displayed. But when I play the same video format in Photos app, I see the subtitles. How can I I fix this issue and see my video with subtitles in Movies & TV app because it is much more...
  10. Editing Subtitle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Editing Subtitle: Hello, Have a subtitle (.srt file) which is not synchro with the movie (.mp4 format). I tried two editors, one "SubTitle Editor 3413" and "SubtitleWorkshop_6.0b_131121", in both list of playable files, there is mp4 format also, however got error mesages they both cannot...