Windows 10: Need advice on a setting in Local Secuirty Policy and....

Discus and support Need advice on a setting in Local Secuirty Policy and.... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; In the Local Security Policy on Windows 10 Pro Anniversary version 1607 there are 2 settings that I was wondering if I could adjust so there no way... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by craazziee8, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Need advice on a setting in Local Secuirty Policy and....

In the Local Security Policy on Windows 10 Pro Anniversary version 1607 there are 2 settings that I was wondering if I could adjust so there no way someone could access my computer remotely. It's under Security Settings then Local Policies, and then Security Options. The policies being Network access: Remotely accessible registry paths and Network access: Remotely accessible registry paths and sub-paths. Was wondering if it's safe to delete those paths since I don't do anything remotely wise. Hope that makes since. I hope the picture helps.

Need advice on a setting in Local Secuirty Policy and.... [​IMG]

Second question if I'm just a home user and let's say i wanted to make it really secure is there any other "Security Options" in Local S.P. that I could change to make it more secure. I see when searching the internet that Microsoft comes out with these group policy security templates. Can a regular home user use those templates and if they could how come it's not like on the front page of Microsoft's webpage or easy to understand. Forgive me for being such a noob. Just trying to dodge all the malware and ransomware and virus's and Zero day whatever's .

Sincerely,
    Is the internet even worth it anymore I spend more time trying to secure this thing than using it.

Sincerely Crazy8*Smile

:)

craazziee8, Sep 27, 2016
  2. ollie243 Win User

6300 signal

its saying i need a secuirty code to restor factory settings

ollie243, Sep 27, 2016
  3. ChuckyC1 Win User
    DistributedCOM error event id 10016 windows 10

So I need to make sure the security settings are set wo LOCAL SERVICE and to NETWORK SERVICE in the user rights policy?

Local security policy tree is as follows

Security settings | Local Policies | User rights Assignment |

- Generate security audits

- Create global objects

- Replace a process level token

- Adjust memory quotas for a process

- Impersonate a client after authentication
    - Log on as a service

- Bypass traverse checking

in each policy I'm making sure both LOCAL and NETWORK service are included.....???

ChuckyC1, Sep 27, 2016
  4. Need advice on a setting in Local Secuirty Policy and....

1, Sure you can. But, if you disable services like Server, WebClient, Workstation, you do not have to worry about it at all.
    2, That is, what they are for. It is just tedious to do, but every little bit helps these days, so if you are willing, go for it.

Tell me about it, I am just trying to protect my computer and I ended up collecting tweaks, I do not even understand. *Rolleyes

TairikuOkami, Sep 28, 2016
  5. Thanks a lot TairikuOkami appreciate the help. Right now I have been using EMET a lot and seeing which programs and such I can apply to the safety of the EMET program. So far I get a good feeling about the EMET program and the great thing about it is it's free.

Sincerely,
    "Having hope" Crazy 8

craazziee8, Sep 28, 2016
  6. I actually just googled the darn policy and found this in case anyone else stumbles across my post wondering the same.
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...(v=ws.11).aspx
    and i quote, "Set this policy to a null value; that is, enable the policy setting, but do not enter any paths in the text box. Remote management tools, such as the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer and Microsoft Systems Management Server (SMS), require remote access to the registry. Removing the default registry paths from the list of accessible paths might cause these and other management tools to fail."
    so ya you can delete the values and really not worry about it because if you do delete it and find out that you need to re enter the deleted data that on the, "Explain" tab it tells you what the default values were. In case you wanted to use the above mentioned tools. And for myself I still have a lot more learning to do. Again, Thanks TairikuOkam this thread is answered and done.

craazziee8, Sep 28, 2016
  7. Mystere Win User
    Frankly, you are better off with a firewall. It will block access to those functions from outside your network.

The problem here, is that these settings give you a false sense of security. Even setting these settings would not guarantee nobody could ever access your system remotely, since there are many ways to become compromised, even behind a firewall. For instance, if you are the victim of a drive-by-infection in your web browser, it can install software that allows an attacker to bypass any firewall (or these settings). The best defense against remote intrusion is vigilance.

Mystere, Sep 28, 2016
  8. Need advice on a setting in Local Secuirty Policy and....

Point taken thanks Mystere. Very sobering slap in the face but all so true. Would love to get some kind of hardware firewall someday but why bother I guess.

craazziee8, Sep 29, 2016
  9. Mystere Win User
    If you have a router from your cable company, chances are you already have a hardware firewall.

Mystere, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Need advice on a setting in Local Secuirty Policy and....

1. Need advice on a setting in Local Secuirty Policy and.... - Similar Threads - Need advice setting

2. Locked local policy -- need to unlock

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked local policy -- need to unlock: I went to make changes in the local computer policy, specifically >windows settings> security settings>local policies>user rights assignment. It appears that security settings>local policies>user rights assignment are locked as are the local policies little padlock on the...
  3. Locked local policy -- need to unlock

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Locked local policy -- need to unlock: I went to make changes in the local computer policy, specifically >windows settings> security settings>local policies>user rights assignment. It appears that security settings>local policies>user rights assignment are locked as are the local policies little padlock on the...
  4. Locked local policy -- need to unlock

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. MS Secuirty.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS Secuirty.: I frequently struggle with MS's security. Yesterday, something happened to my MS Account. Subsequently, I went through this awkward process to get a new security code. Eventually, I got one but forgot to print/save it, so I lost it again. Now I got a message that a new code...
  6. Local Security Policy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Local Security Policy: I have decided to take a go at Windows Pro. I'm running Windows 11 Pro; the experience has been very enjoyable. I was wondering though, if anyone knew of a "standard" local security policy and group policy? Maybe like a best-practices for security? I generally tear through...
  7. Advice Needed on Display Settings

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Advice Needed on Display Settings: I got my first 4k monitor and have never had a monitor above 2.5k in the past. Windows 10 automatically set the display scale to 200% after recognizing the new 4k monitor which I get because text is too small to be legible without scaling. However, I bought the new monitor...
  8. Advice Needed on Display Settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Advice Needed on Display Settings: I got my first 4k monitor and have never had a monitor above 2.5k in the past. Windows 10 automatically set the display scale to 200% after recognizing the new 4k monitor which I get because text is too small to be legible without scaling. However, I bought the new monitor...
  9. Local group policies

Local group policies: Hello, I have issue with windows 10 home basic. There is no options for Administrative Templates inLocal Group Policies. Please resolve this issue...[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-group-policies/bdbb2977-adf0-4aed-a08d-4dd5601fffac
  10. Changed registry settings, need advice

Changed registry settings, need advice: Split from this thread. Hi Davem121, I know this may not be the place to ask a question I am new here. I changed some registry settings and was wondering if I could leave the "Start" at 4 or return it to the default value. I have also mistakenly changed the "Default"...