Windows 10: Need BAT file to change my drive letters - Moderator remove post pleas

Discus and support Need BAT file to change my drive letters - Moderator remove post pleas in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I’m dual booting Win 10 and Win 8 or Win 10. Wen I make changes, like booting to a different HD, my drive letters change. Is there a way to use a BAT... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GerryPeters, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Need BAT file to change my drive letters - Moderator remove post pleas

I’m dual booting Win 10 and Win 8 or Win 10. Wen I make changes, like booting to a different HD, my drive letters change. Is there a way to use a BAT file to change my drive letters? I may use my macro program to have the BAT file run every time I boot or I may decide to only use it when needed.

Typically what happens is the wrong HD is assigned to G, so I have to change it’s drive letter to T. I then need to assign my backup HD to G and then remove a letter F from a system reserved partition. If I had a BAT file that would do this then I could easily tweak it to solve any drive letter issue

Thanks,

:)

GerryPeters, Apr 14, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

.net framework 3.5 can't activate/install

Kevin, what is the drive letter of your installation Media?

In the code below, on the fourth line near the end, change D to that drive letter

Save that in a text file and change the file extension to .bat instead of .txt

Then double click the Bat File . . .

@echo off

Title .NET Framework 3.5 Offline Installer

echo Installing .NET Framework 3.5...

Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /SourceNeed BAT file to change my drive letters - Moderator remove post pleas :D:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess

echo.

echo .NET Framework 3.5 should be installed

echo.

) else (

echo No installation media found!

echo Insert DVD or USB flash drive and run this file once again.

echo.

)

pause

DaveM121, Apr 14, 2016
  3. Task Scheduler

In Windows 10 version 1703 the Task Schedule with a .bat file will start, but does not recognize a mapped drive. If I start the .bat file manually it works fine. Prior version had no problem.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

RichardCobb, Apr 14, 2016
  4. Need BAT file to change my drive letters - Moderator remove post pleas

play2mefish, Apr 14, 2016
  5. Nice technique, but it didn't work for Win 10. I see it was Jan 2013. I carefully followed the directions and when I ran the BAT file the Command Prompt opened, but it was totally blank - no text. I wonder if it needs to be an Elevated Command Prompt. If so how do I initiate that in a BAT file?

I think once I get this to work, I can adapt it to all I want to do. I’d first just get the individual drive changes to work and if that works. I can create 1 BAT file that doe search drive one at a time. I hope we can get this to work. Any ideas?

6. Is there a specific reason you need to dual-boot as opposed to virtualizing Windows 8? Dual-booting presents a number of issues that are eliminated with virtualization. It is a much more simple setup, and your drive letters will always remain the same.

DeaconFrost, Apr 14, 2016
  7. I have to concur with this statement. Running Windows 8 in virtualization works well AND you can run Windows 10 and Windows 8 side by side AND you can also run your favorite Linux version too.

But, going back to the original question...it might have to be an administrator prompt. If I get time this coming weekend I will play with this and see if I can come up with anything. No promises...

play2mefish, Apr 14, 2016
  8. Need BAT file to change my drive letters - Moderator remove post pleas

I looked into virtualizing in the past. If I understand it correctly I have to install Win 8 from scratch into one of the virtual partitions and can’t just restore an image file into that virtual partition. I have a very complicated audio computer and installing Win 8 from scratch is not worth it

I have lots of Acronis image feels for Win 8 and Win 10, and when I need to dual boot I need to go to those old images, when everything was working well..

I have 16 gigs of RAM, yet the current problem I'm having with WIn 10 is a 32 bit program which can only use 4 gigs of RAM and works fine in Win 8 yet in WIn 10 it crashes right away. It's a software bug in my audio card that they haven't fixed related to RAM. So I’m also concerned that my virtual Win 8 won't have the full 4 Gigs of Ram, since I think you have to ration out the Ram between the virtual systems.

So unless I’m mistaken about these limitations, this is why virtualization won’t work. I don’t have to dual boot that often, but like the option of doing so.

9. Fafhrd Win User
    If the PC has plenty of resources, then Virtual machines can be utilized so they have little effect on performance.

On more limited hardware, there may be little point in running virtual machines because both host and guest VM suffer in terms of performance.

In a dual boot situation, all the available resources of the PC are open to the OS that has booted.

There are good reasons for dual booting that virtualization does not address:

If the host OS fails to boot, then the VM cannot run, and the system is unusable.It is an all the eggs in one basket situation.

If the host boots OK, and the VM guest fails to boot or is somehow corrupt, it may not be possible to access the data within the VM, or to repair it.

Virtual disks can be much more hungry for disk space as they are used than real partitions are, especially if recommended virtual disk sizes are used.

Of course, the usual caveat regarding back-ups applies. In the case of the former failed system, the backup can be the total disk size of host plus VM. If the VM is to be backed up independently, it is dead easy to take snapshots of the VM at any time.

Some hardware devices and peripherals may not be available to the host system due to missing legacy drivers, and virtualization of an older OS on this system may or may not be able to directly drive these devices.

In a dual or multiboot system, each OS is independent and may access data from other systems on the machine, and even be used to repair the other systems. Each may be backed up independently.

Multiboot systems use all the PC hardware natively, as long as drivers are available. Legacy hardware may be present as unknown devices, or disabled in more recent OSs, but available to legacy OSs booting on the same PC.

Drive letters are a nuisance in a multiboot situation, but only if the multiboot is set up in a haphazard fashion.

If all drives are setup from booted DVDs, on separate partitions, each Windows installation will exist in a their own C drive, and all the other drives will have a different letter and order. Chaos!

If the first booting OS is set up as C, the second and subsequent OSs installed from within the first OS, then each successive OS resides on a partition that keeps the same drive letter at the time of installation, and the relative drive letters are common across all the operating systems.

To reset drive letter references within a multi-booting OS system, certain drive imaging utilities can do this, as the OS is moved and reapplied to a new volume letter.

My underspecified systems, including my 4GB RAM 500GB HD laptop multi-boot faultlessly, but are useless with VMs.

Fafhrd, Apr 14, 2016
  10. I’ve tried doing this manually with both types of CMD and diskpart. The commands work. It seems it does need an administrator prompt. How to get that into a BAT seems tricky. The technique was posted in 2013 before Win 10. We could use a revised version. If you can experiment with this, that would be great.

Thanks,

GerryPeters, Apr 15, 2016
  11. Fafhrd Win User
    Or a .reg file merge.

Set the drive letters the way you want then export the following key and all subkeys.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

Save the .reg file and merge at startup.

Fafhrd, Apr 16, 2016
  12. Yes I figured that'd be a solution also. I guess I'm a little concerned if something was different with the HD configuration if that would mess up my registry. A solution not involving the registry would be preferred. ideally a BAT file or some utility program

GerryPeters, Apr 16, 2016
  13. Need BAT file to change my drive letters - Moderator remove post pleas

I adapted the tutorial that play2mefish posted in the 2nd post. I can hit Win-X A to open the admin CMD. Type diskpart and then paste text based on the tutorial and it assigns and removes multiple drive letters all in 1 step. Still it owdl be nice to have a BAT file be abel to open the admin CMD and paste the text in there all in one step. Win 10 diskpart doens't like dealing with a TXT file, so I had to bypass that step adn simply manually paste text in.

GerryPeters, Apr 16, 2016
  14. play2mefish, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Need BAT file to change my drive letters - Moderator remove post pleas

1. Need BAT file to change my drive letters - Moderator remove post pleas - Similar Threads - Need BAT file

2. Need to change file to .bat

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to change file to .bat: I made a new text document and named it run.bat but it didn't change to a .bat file. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-to-change-file-to-bat/a303183b-1c61-48e0-84d1-be33a6fb2374
  3. Need to change file to .bat

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need to change file to .bat: I made a new text document and named it run.bat but it didn't change to a .bat file. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-to-change-file-to-bat/a303183b-1c61-48e0-84d1-be33a6fb2374
  4. Drive letters changed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive letters changed: I had to reinstall Windows 10 and after doing so the drive letters changed. What was the C: drive with the OS is now the G: drive. I have two other 300GB hard drives that are pretty old. I would like to replace them with one larger drive but I feel I should first address the...
  5. Drive letter not assigned to removable drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive letter not assigned to removable drive: I admit it - I shot myself in the foot. At some time in the past I must have permanently assigned a drive letter to a USB flash memory drive (stick). Today I decided I should let Windows just assign the next available drive letter as it does for other removable devices (and...
  6. I need help changing drive letters.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I need help changing drive letters.: I bought a 250gb SSD the other day which was smaller than my original hard drive. So, because I couldn't clone my original hard drive, I decided to install Windows 10 from scratch. That was succesful and all, but now it makes my SSD the C drive. This is not wanted, because I...
  7. Need a BAT file for removal of CHECK MARKS on W10 desktop ICONS

in Windows 10 Support
    Need a BAT file for removal of CHECK MARKS on W10 desktop ICONS: Help, Need a BAT file for removal of CHECK MARKS on W10 desktop ICONS. Is a Bat File available from this forum? Sorry, new to forum, did not know I needed Ver # every time I logged in. Included in a previous login & though the forum cross referenced from my Login &...
  8. NEED HELP PLEAS!!!

in Windows 10 Customization
    NEED HELP PLEAS!!!: EVERYTHING ON MY COMPUTER IS TO BIG AND I CANT SEE ALL THE APPS ON MY COMPUTER HOW DO I CHANGE THE FONT SIZE https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-help-pleas/9bb1bbaf-96d4-42d5-bd11-6913f3ba8216
  9. .bat files changed?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    .bat files changed?: Greetings. Regarding Windows 10. I have a .bat file that I've used for... well, since forever. It rarely changes and it hasn't changed in months. Despite running quite fine in its current incarnation for some months now it's quite recently it's began throwing the error:...
  10. Driver Letter Change Post Sysprep

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Driver Letter Change Post Sysprep: Preparing upgrade to 10 Did clean install Window 7 to customize, sysprep, image, install on several duplicate PCs prior to upgrade 1st drive is SSD, 2nd is HDD SSD partition c: os and d: virtual box HDD e: data wrote answer file move user and program data from c: to e:...