Windows 10: Need Clarification on Windows 10 Digital Licence...

Discus and support Need Clarification on Windows 10 Digital Licence... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 using the free upgrade. Windows 10 on both of my machines have the this license. [img] If I upgrade,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Raner, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Raner Win User

Need Clarification on Windows 10 Digital Licence...

I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 using the free upgrade.
    Windows 10 on both of my machines have the this license.

Need Clarification on Windows 10 Digital Licence... [​IMG]

If I upgrade, Motherboard, CPU, RAM, and Video Card, Will windows 10 reactivate or am I going to have to buy a new license key...Thanks...

:)

Raner, Jun 30, 2017
  2. neilpzz Win User

Used Win 10 pc activation

You can use your MS account on the new (used) PC but that won't activate the new PC. The PC needs its own licence which if it was upgraded from Windows 8 using the free offer it should have via a digital licence. (derived from the Windows 8 licence)

As your Windows 7 device also has a digital licence for Windows 10 derived from the Windows 7 licence.

neilpzz, Jun 30, 2017
  3. neilpzz Win User
    Activate windows

Windows 10 is licenced against the hardware it is installed on. When you upgraded Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 then the digital licence was registered against the upgraded device. You have changed the device by fitting the hard drive with Windows 10 into
    a new PC, so you need a new licence key.

neilpzz, Jun 30, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member
  5. Raner Win User
    Well, There are a lot of answers, which one is correct.
    Will windows 10 reactive...(YES, NO, MAYBE)
    I did find this...

Need Clarification on Windows 10 Digital Licence... [​IMG]

If this is correct.
    In my case, I bought my windows 7 retail licence key for Microsoft. So it should be on file with them.
    I have the original Email from Microsoft with the licence key.
    I'll have to call and explain why I had to change the hardware.
    The kicker is how you explain it to the support tech.
    If I explain my CPU cooling fan failed and fried by CPU and Motherboard and that the motherboard was no longer available. My only option was to get a more up to date motherboard and CPU, and that that my old ram was DDR3 and my new motherboard only takes DDR4.
    It may work or it may not...
    The only real way to find out I guess, is go threw it... I will be very happy or plenty pissed.
    My PC's are fine, I just wanted to know what I would be facing if I ever had to replace hardware...

Raner, Jun 30, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    I expect someone who's been through that will advise. Unfortunately there's no tutorial on this complicated issue.

dalchina, Jun 30, 2017
  7. Raner Win User
    Yep... I've been searching and could not find a definite answer. That is why I posted here...

Raner, Jun 30, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

From the Tutorial section here I'll quote three... please advise of these contain the information you need, or wht should be added or changed for clarification. Thanks.

Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    Information:
    Also see the Note in the above.

Similarly see Information here:
    Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

And one more:
    Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10

dalchina, Jun 30, 2017
  9. Raner Win User
    Thanks, dalchina ...

This information will do, for now... As I said, I just wanted a heads up just in case I did have to do a hardware change...
    Now if I have to refresh my memory on this information, I'll just come back and search this post... It will make my life a lot easier... I will probably be doing this after the dust settles, if I have to do a major hardware upgrade...LOL... *Tongue Out

Raner, Jun 30, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
  11. Superfly Win User
    A Windows 7 Retail key will activate a new install of Windows 10 of the same version on different hardware - you will get a new digital licence.

No need for the transfer wizard, phoning MS or any of that.

Superfly, Jul 1, 2017
  12. cereberus Win User
    This is the best way as it does not use one of your digital licence "lives" as you can only transfer a digital licence three times (by my testing).

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Need Clarification on Windows 10 Digital Licence... - Similar Threads - Need Clarification Digital

2. Windows 10 Digital Licence

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Digital Licence: Hiiii, I have one question for you. I have a computer with a digital license that comes with the computer and my question is how can I delete that license and activate another one that the company ordered....
  3. Windows 10 Digital Licence

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Digital Licence: Hiiii, I have one question for you. I have a computer with a digital license that comes with the computer and my question is how can I delete that license and activate another one that the company ordered....
  4. Windows 10 Digital Licence

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Clarification on state of Windows 10 Pro digital licence.

Clarification on state of Windows 10 Pro digital licence.: Hi, This is a follow on question from a post I made yesterday concerning issues with transferring a Windows 10 Pro digital licence. I'm hoping to get clarification on the true state of my licence. In 2009 I bought a retail copy of Windows 7 for a new build PC. I still...
  6. WIndows 10 Digital Licence

WIndows 10 Digital Licence: Good day, bought my laptop which had a pre-installed Microsoft Home. I changed the OS to Microsoft Pro by buying a license online. Today this license was accidentally removed using cmd. Please how do i get the license back since my PC is currently inactivated. Prompt...
  7. windows 10 digital licence

windows 10 digital licence: My laptop hard drive crashed and I need my digital licence to activate windows 10 on a diff pc. How can I get that ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-digital-licence/5feb4c46-1cdd-4cce-92d6-0f871864f812
  8. Digital licence Windows 10

Digital licence Windows 10: Do digital licences expire https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/digital-licence-windows-10/59dc3bcc-abf2-42d2-a4f4-526bb91d4083"
  9. Digital Licence

Digital Licence: How can I transfer my digitally licensed windows to my son's account as it is synced with my account and I am no longer able to use windows I would very much like to transfer my license to his account can I do that ? is there a way? please help me...
  10. Windows 10 digital licence

Windows 10 digital licence: hi to all, I need help from someone with big experience in licencing. Our company recently purchased unbranded PCs with Windows 10. No COA was provided, and according to reseler PCs are with digital licence. However, running command wmic path softwarelicensingservice...