Windows 10: Need Help Activating Windows 10 After Complete Hardware Change?

Discus and support Need Help Activating Windows 10 After Complete Hardware Change? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Ok, sad to say, but my 8 year old died on me. I am in the process of collecting some spare change to save up for my new Ryzen Build. OK, so someone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by AntiMalware, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Need Help Activating Windows 10 After Complete Hardware Change?

Ok, sad to say, but my 8 year old died on me. I am in the process of collecting some spare change to save up for my new Ryzen Build.

OK, so someone told me, you have to run the activation troubleshooter. I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro on that computer from Windows 8.1 Upgrade from Windows 7. Will Windows Activate, or will I have to phone them up?

:)

AntiMalware, Jul 4, 2017

2. I can't reactivate my windows 10 after a clean re-installation

In event of a hardware change, windows might not be activated. You need to contact chat support, see the section Activation after a hardware change here:

Activation in Windows 10 - Microsoft

Sumit Dhiman2, Jul 4, 2017
  3. Uninstall (delete, remove) the Windows 10 digital license from old hardware, after reactivating it on new (similar) hardware, after hardware change

Hi,

I recently was able to reactivate my Windows 10 digital license on new (only on similar, same type laptop to laptop) hardware, by linking my Microsoft account. I followed the steps mentoned in

Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change

I find that the old hardware, still has an activated digital license of Windows.

I need to uninstall the digital license from the old hardware, in such a way that it will not activate, on its own, and will not invalidate the digital license on my new hardware, at all.

Please advice me, as I would like to transfer my digital license to my new hardware, completely, and permanently. I require my old hardware to not be having the digital license, at all, and the digital license to be completely deleted from it.

Vikram S Ramani, Jul 4, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

Need Help Activating Windows 10 After Complete Hardware Change?

zbook, Jul 4, 2017
  5. Thanks but this didn't help

AntiMalware, Jul 4, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Then what help were you looking for? The next to the last link above gave you step by step instructions on how to activate Windows after you change the motherboard.

NavyLCDR, Jul 4, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    There are 5 ways that Windows 10 will activate:

1. It will read a Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 product key stored in BIOS or UEFI firmware on the motherboard and use that to activate. This only applies to computer manufacturers that put a license/product key in their BIOS/UEFI and won't be there on a motherboard bought at retail so Windows won't activate this way.

2. Windows 10 will calculate a unique Hardware ID based upon the characteristics of the computer it is installed on - a motherboard change will change the Hardware ID. Windows 10 will send the Hardware ID to MS Activation Servers and if there is a matching license for Windows 10 stored there, it will retrieve that and activate Windows. A new motherboard that has never had Windows 10 installed on it before will not have a digital license stored, so Windows will not activate this way the first time it is installed on that motherboard.

3. The user supplies a product key. If you have a retail product key for Windows 7/8/8.1 or 10, you can enter that and chances are better than not that it will activate without a call being required to Microsoft.

4. You use the activation troubleshooter to copy a digital license from one device on your Microsoft Account to the new device. You haven't told us if the current broken device is linked to your Microsoft Account nor if you are replacing with the same class of device (laptop, tablet, desktop, virtual machine). Therefore we can't know if this option is available to you or not.

5. You call Microsoft, tell them your sad story, and they activate Windows 10 for you.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Need Help Activating Windows 10 After Complete Hardware Change?

1. Need Help Activating Windows 10 After Complete Hardware Change? - Similar Threads - Need Help Activating

2. Need help activating Windows 10 after changing hardware.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Need help activating Windows 10 after changing hardware.: I recently changed the majority of my hardware in my computer. I have changed hardware before and reactivated with no problem, although not to such a large extent. My windows 10 key came as an upgrade from 8. I didn't have to use 8 last time to activate, any ideas what's up...
  3. Need help with activating Windows 10 after complete reset.

Need help with activating Windows 10 after complete reset.: I know the product key from a download, but when I type it in it says it doesn't work and "error code 0xc0000022" All help is appreciated. Thank you....
  4. Windows 10 Activation after hardware change

Windows 10 Activation after hardware change: I got a new motherboard and windows became unactivated. I don't have the product key and troubleshooting from settings isn't working. Is there some way it was or can be emailed to me?...
  5. Need help reactivate Windows 10 after a hardware change

Need help reactivate Windows 10 after a hardware change: Hello, I've just made a significant hardware change recently. I changed almost everything in my PC except the GPU and storage devices. I tried to reactivate Windows 10 but got stuck at the "select device" step. Windows doesn't include my "new" PC in the list. This is my...
  6. Need help activating Windows 10 Pro since hardware change

Need help activating Windows 10 Pro since hardware change: I recently had to change my motherboard due to it getting short circuited/fried seemingly out of nowhere leaving me without being able to prepare for a hardware change. Now that i have my PC up and running it is now telling me I need to Activate Windows even though I have...
  7. Win10 Activation after (complete) hardware change

Win10 Activation after (complete) hardware change: Hi there, after a total hardware change I'm sadly unable to activate my Win10 retail key. Before the hardware change I deactivated the key using "slmgr -upk" which gave me the "key uninstalled successfully" box. However, seems that wasn't enough. I'm simply unable to...
  8. Hardware changed, need help with activation

Hardware changed, need help with activation: Hello, English is not my native language so I'm sorry if I make some mistakes. I changed hardware today (motherboard, cpu and ram), because I need more fps with my games. Everything worked well, but there is now a text at the bottom right "Activate Windows Go to Settings...
  9. Hardware change, activating windows. Help!

Hardware change, activating windows. Help!: Hello everyone! So I successfully upgraded components of my computer. I have upgraded from Gigabyte AMD motherboard -to- ASRock z370 PRO 4 intel motherboard I have upgraded from 250GB SSD -to- 500GB SSD I have upgraded from AMD FX-8350 -to- intel i5 8400 CPU Now I...
  10. Activating windows 10 after major hardware change help

Activating windows 10 after major hardware change help: After my motherboard died I have installed new Skylake hardware so obviously my windows 10 installation wants to re activate. In my previous experiences of this I have phoned microsoft to explain my predicament and they supplied me with a new activation code. Now after...