Windows 10: Need Help Changing Boot Manager Screen

Discus and support Need Help Changing Boot Manager Screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi All, I recently rebuilt my PC and installed Windows 10. I then decided I wanted to have Windows 7 available just in case. I partitioned my primary... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JohninNH, Apr 1, 2017.

1. JohninNH Win User

Need Help Changing Boot Manager Screen

Hi All,
    I recently rebuilt my PC and installed Windows 10. I then decided I wanted to have Windows 7 available just in case. I partitioned my primary HD and installed Windows 7. In other words, I installed Windows 7 AFTER Windows 10 for a dual-boot system. I was surprised to see the Windows 7 Boot Manager screen appear instead of the Windows 10 Boot Manager. I guess I did this backwards as it appears installing Windows 10 AFTER Windows 7 is more common.

Is there a way to edit/change/modify the boot manager to use the Windows 10 screen instead of the Windows 7 screen?

Thanks for any help!
    John

:)

JohninNH, Apr 1, 2017
  2. Allan Mej Win User

my screen size keeps changing need help

Hi,

To address your issue, we suggest you to update your display driver. To do so, kindly follow the steps on this

link

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Allan Mej, Apr 1, 2017
  3. azk86314 Win User
    my screen size keeps changing need help

why is my screen size keeps changing? need help my husband says its windows 10.i bought this hp laptop in may I think its been doing it ever seen,im at this point to ever take it bk where I bought it or thru it in my pool,lol.its really pissing me off
    big time NEED HELP

azk86314, Apr 1, 2017
  4. Need Help Changing Boot Manager Screen

I do believe if you boot into Windows 10, and then set it as the default, you will get the Windows 10 dual boot menu.

alphanumeric, Apr 1, 2017
  5. JohninNH Win User
    Hi alphanumeric,
    Thanks for the reply! I tried that last night and nothing changed.

John

JohninNH, Apr 1, 2017
  6. Ok, I haven't done a dual boot setup in a dogs age. I have seen similar posts to yours though and thought that was the answer. Maybe it was Windows 8 and 7?

alphanumeric, Apr 1, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    Run this from an admin command prompt

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu False

cereberus, Apr 1, 2017
  8. Edwin New Member

I thought it was either one of these in a CP Admin and a reboot:

To enable the graphical boot menu:

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

To disable the graphical boot menu:

bcdedit /set “{current}” bootmenupolicy legacy

Edwin, Apr 1, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    I think either works

cereberus, Apr 1, 2017
  10. JohninNH Win User
    Hi cereberus, Edwin,
    Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, the command processed successfully but the boot manager screen did not change.

I ran it first in Windows 10 and nothing changed. I switched over to Windows 7 and ran it there but the command wouldn't process. The error was something to do with it not being recognized properly.

Oh, well; I'll keep looking for a remedy.

John

JohninNH, Apr 1, 2017
  11. Edwin New Member
    Make sure you do it from within Windows 10 and Windows 10 is your default.

Edwin, Apr 1, 2017
  12. Command Prompt (admin) < I would think, if you didn't already.

alphanumeric, Apr 2, 2017
  13. EdTittel Win User

If you don't mind spending $30, EasyBCD will do this job for you quite nicely. You can explicitly designate Windows 10 as the default OS therein, and then make sure you check the "Use Metro bootloader" option as shown here:

Need Help Changing Boot Manager Screen [​IMG]

That's pretty much all there is to it. Works like a champ!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 2, 2017
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    EasyBCD is free for home use.

NavyLCDR, Apr 2, 2017
  15. JohninNH Win User
    Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately none of them worked which had to do more with possibly my installations were somehow compromised. I tried EasyBCD and apparently did something stoopid and ended up with an unrecoverable Windows 10 installation.

I started from scratch installing Windows 7 first and then Windows 10. everything is working as advertised and I have the fancy Windows 10 boot manager screen.

John

JohninNH, Apr 5, 2017
Thema:

1. Need Help Changing Boot Manager Screen - Similar Threads - Need Help Changing

2. Help with windows boot manager

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with windows boot manager: My OS is on my hard drive and my windows boot manager is on my ssd. How do I get windows boot manager on my hard drive? submitted by /u/CrankingTheCrandon [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/183bdwt/help_with_windows_boot_manager/
  3. I need help getting my windows boot manager back.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I need help getting my windows boot manager back.: I can access bios but only with my usb plugged in bc i have parrot os downloaded to it. In my bios it doesnt even show my Windows Boot Manager or anything anymore other than my usb.. when i do access bios i realize that my hdd say none. PLEASE HELP!!Is there anyway i can...
  4. I need help getting my windows boot manager back.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need help getting my windows boot manager back.: I can access bios but only with my usb plugged in bc i have parrot os downloaded to it. In my bios it doesnt even show my Windows Boot Manager or anything anymore other than my usb.. when i do access bios i realize that my hdd say none. PLEASE HELP!!Is there anyway i can...
  5. I need help getting my windows boot manager back.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Change Boot Drive - Windows Boot Manager

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change Boot Drive - Windows Boot Manager: I need to make my Boot drive larger - so I went out and got another NVME drive and PCI card to mount it to.I made a clone of the existing boot drive and the ancillary partitions. So I now have two drive that are identical clonesThe next step is supposed to be to tell the BIOS...
  7. I need help changing what the boot manager boots to

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I need help changing what the boot manager boots to: have a laptop that i need need to change what the windows bootmanager boots to becuase i was trying to dual boot and it screwed up the boot partitions for both so i put windows on my hdd(disk 1) but its still using the boot partition from my ssd(disk 0) how can i tell the...
  8. boot manager help plz

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    boot manager help plz: I was doing a clean install on win10 home edition on hp laptop, i reodered the boot order in bios and proceeded using a usb. now after tring to install, i get this error.. "windows failed to restart. a recent hardware or software change might be the cause,...
  9. boot manager help plz

in Windows 10 Support
    boot manager help plz: I was doing a clean install on win10 home edition on hp laptop, i reodered the boot order in bios and proceeded using a usb. now after tring to install, i get this error.. "windows failed to restart. a recent hardware or software change might be the cause,...
  10. Need help booting!!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need help booting!!: The laptop i was putting Windows 10 on to had a partition with Linux distro on it and once the Windows 10 install was done I went back in and deleted the partition and formatted it. But! I forgot to set the Windows partition as the active partition and now when I try to boot...