Windows 10: Need Help Changing Default Login

Discus and support Need Help Changing Default Login in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I don't know how my aunt managed to foul things up on her Windows 10 Home tower, but when she powers on the unit she gets a screen with her user name,... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by boweasel, Jul 23, 2016.

1. boweasel Win User

Need Help Changing Default Login

I don't know how my aunt managed to foul things up on her Windows 10 Home tower, but when she powers on the unit she gets a screen with her user name, Joan, and the little
    Need Help Changing Default Login [​IMG]
    figure shown here, accompanied by the phrase 'The user name or password is incorrect. Try again'. At this point she has done nothing but press the power button. And no place has displayed to even enter a password.

There is a little box labeled OK under the message. Pressing that opens a box under her name for the password. It also opens other user names at the bottom left of the screen, one of which is also labeled Joan. However, that particular 'Joan item' has her personalized user picture. Clicking on that brings up the name Joan with her picture and a password box. She can then enter her password and get into Windows.

If she enters her password in the box with the above stick figure it doesn't work. She has to click on the other Joan user with her picture before she can access Windows.

How can we get this to NOT bring up the stick figure Joan, which may be a Microsoft account (or not, my aunt doesn't know anymore), or delete the stick figure Joan, or do whatever is necessary to get her name, picture and password be the default?

I have, of course tried running 'control userpasswords2', checking, saving, reopening, unchecking and saving again. No change.

:)

boweasel, Jul 23, 2016

2. can't down load program without adminastrators permission

If this is a home PC then (unless you have changed it) your login should have admin rights by default, or do you have another login on the PC that has this?

If this is a business device you may need to request this from your network administrator and possibly go through change management to request this.

MarkInKent, Jul 23, 2016
  3. Wrong account linked to computer

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I would like to inform that if an email client is used to login to Store, the system by default will make that account as the login account for the user. to change the login method, need to change the same from Account Settings in PC. I suggest you to login
    to the account using the correct password for the account and change the login options from Account Settings. If you do not remember the password, reset the password and check.

To reset password, refer the link below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/account-reset-password-forgot-faq

Hope the information is helpful. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jul 23, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Jul 24, 2016
  5. boweasel Win User
    What an idiot I am! Of course I know you have to reboot after making changes through control userpasswords2, but somehow I forgot. Granted, it's been several years since I've used it, and I am pushing 70, so let's just chalk it up to a senior moment, not a portent of impending dementia.

At any rate, simply checking that box and rebooting took care of everything.

boweasel, Jul 24, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Glad it worked for you!

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Need Help Changing Default Login - Similar Threads - Need Help Changing

2. Is there a way to change the login screen background for the default login screen ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there a way to change the login screen background for the default login screen ?: The screens come up with Windows 7, Windows 10, Windows 12, etc and have the user name and you click on the user and it asks for the login password. What I would really like is to change this login screen to show a blue or black screen with justLoginUsername: Password:...
  3. Is there a way to change the login screen background for the default login screen ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to change the login screen background for the default login screen ?: The screens come up with Windows 7, Windows 10, Windows 12, etc and have the user name and you click on the user and it asks for the login password. What I would really like is to change this login screen to show a blue or black screen with justLoginUsername: Password:...
  4. No way to change default link type in Windows 11, need help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No way to change default link type in Windows 11, need help: As you can see below, I can't change the default link type for MAGNET. There is no option to manually pick a program to handle this link type. I can either pick whatever that is on the list, or pick one app in Microsoft store. The program I use doesn't exist in Microsoft...
  5. No way to change default link type in Windows 11, need help

No way to change default link type in Windows 11, need help: As you can see below, I can't change the default link type for MAGNET. There is no option to manually pick a program to handle this link type. I can either pick whatever that is on the list, or pick one app in Microsoft store. The program I use doesn't exist in Microsoft...
  6. HELP NEEDED - Cannot Login

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HELP NEEDED - Cannot Login: I have a desktop system that is about 6 years old at work. Recently it would not update, so I used the update tool to get the latest Windows 10 version. This worked perfectly until I went to login. I cannot. The issue is that in upgrading to windows 10 my login appears...
  7. Need to Change Login Name

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Need to Change Login Name: Pardon me if this has been dealt with, I have only seen the tutorial video about naming one's device prior to the initial installment of Win10. But as you see from the screenshot below, the name the machine displayed is not what is desired. When I ran thru the Open Box...
  8. Login name needs to be Changed

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Login name needs to be Changed: When I set up my new computer I did not have a Microsoft account. I want to change it from my husbands Hotmail account to my account so when I log in it says my name not his with his Hotmail account linked to everything. How do I go about doing this?...
  9. Need to Change Default Background

in Windows 10 Customization
    Need to Change Default Background: Good Evening All, Windows 10 just upgraded itself to TH-2. One of the annoying things since I have upgraded to WIn-10 was that I have no control over that default white background for everything. It really hurts my eyes. Can someone give me a registry hack, or a tool...
  10. Photos default program needs to be changed

Photos default program needs to be changed: I messed up big time while installing 10 or shortly after I logged in. Somewhere I unchecked Photos, Mail, Camera and something else. Photos are set to open with TWINUI in properties but has a popout saying 'Element can't be found.' but can be opened in Paint. Everything...