Windows 10: Need help changing file type

Discus and support Need help changing file type in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, I'm having a problem where I'm unable to choose "Save as type: All files", in order to change the format of a document using a word... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Teaboar, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Teaboar Win User

Need help changing file type

Hello,

I'm having a problem where I'm unable to choose "Save as type: All files", in order to change the format of a document using a word processor. I do not have Microsoft Word, but I've tried this with both WordPad and LiberOffice Writer and it isn't working. I'm trying to change a .odt-extension to .pdf. I've never ran into this type of problem before. Does anyone know why this is happening and whether there is something that I can do about it?

:)

Teaboar, Jan 11, 2016

2. I need to know the steps in changing a file type before sending it as a"copy&paste or an attachment".

Hey David, instead of your regular shortcut for OneDrive folder, try the
    OneDrive Web Homepage
    here. It has options like to start a new document (Word/Excel/PowerPoint/etc).

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jan 11, 2016
  3. I need to know the steps in changing a file type before sending it as a"copy&paste or an attachment".

Well it sounds like the real problem that needs fixed is his computer. he should be able to open any kind of picture no matter what. So if I knew what error message he saw, I could tell you how to fix it.

But if you want to change the picture type on your own, here's one easy way:

• Paste the picture into Paint
    • Click File > Save As
    • Use the "type" drop down box to choose JPG instead to save the file as that type before sending

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jan 11, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

You cannot save a document as PDF simply by changing the file extension! If you change the extension of for instance a LibreOffice .odt file to .pdf, it's still an ODT document for LibreOffice, not a PDF file. The same in WordPad; whatever extension you give to your document, it's still a WordPad document, not a PDF file.

Looking the Save As options in LibreOffice, it seems not to have the PDF available as is in for instance Microsoft Word. However, Windows 10 gives you an easy workaround: Print to PDF.

Need help changing file type [​IMG]

You can Print to PDF from every application capable to print. Choosing this option will naturally not send anything to a local printer, in fact you don't even have to have a printer installed in order to be able to print to PDF. Printing to PDF simply saves a local copy of your document in PDF file format.

5. Teaboar Win User
    Thank you for the clarification, this was very helpful. *Smile

Teaboar, Jan 11, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    You are welcome *Smile

Kari, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Need help changing file type - Similar Threads - Need help changing

2. I need help changing my account type

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need help changing my account type: the problem I'm having is I changed my account type, I'm not sure what to but it is no longer a standard account and no longer an administrator account.I have tried various times to change it, going into control panel and netplwiz and tried to reset my device but my computer...
  3. I need help changing my account type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I need help changing my account type: the problem I'm having is I changed my account type, I'm not sure what to but it is no longer a standard account and no longer an administrator account.I have tried various times to change it, going into control panel and netplwiz and tried to reset my device but my computer...
  4. No way to change default link type in Windows 11, need help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No way to change default link type in Windows 11, need help: As you can see below, I can't change the default link type for MAGNET. There is no option to manually pick a program to handle this link type. I can either pick whatever that is on the list, or pick one app in Microsoft store. The program I use doesn't exist in Microsoft...
  5. No way to change default link type in Windows 11, need help

No way to change default link type in Windows 11, need help: As you can see below, I can't change the default link type for MAGNET. There is no option to manually pick a program to handle this link type. I can either pick whatever that is on the list, or pick one app in Microsoft store. The program I use doesn't exist in Microsoft...
  6. need help changing a .json file to working as a .json file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    need help changing a .json file to working as a .json file: Please help me i accidently changed my .json files to open with notepad and now i dont know how to change it back to open as a .json file you know like how it is before you have it open with another app....
  7. Changing the file type assocation for a file

Changing the file type assocation for a file: Hi! I've been trying to get rid of Notepad++ as my automatic JSON file launcher thingy but I haven't been able to even after resetting to the defaults. I've tried many solutions I've seen on here but nothing seems to work. I've even deleted Notepad++ but it's not working, and...
  8. i need help with changeing a file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    i need help with changeing a file: hello i have Ben doing a lot of research with google chrome and Microsoft edge but no results where helpful. what i have Ben trying to do is change a .jar game file into a file i need to have it work on a console called game boy advance trying to get modified. the game i got...
  9. SRT files type changed!

SRT files type changed!: Hi, i installed KMplayer mins ago and it changed the type of SRT files! i need to make the notepad the default program as previous, how can i did this [ATTACH] i tried to chose it from here and nothing won't change! and i wesnt to setting - default apps - choose...
  10. change file type

in Windows 10 Support
    change file type: I was looking through a file within the file called" Windows8 OS". The file was called "Microsoft.SqlServer.Compact.400.32" and it was a "LFL" file type. In trying to open it I inadvertently changed it to a "BC" file type. Question, how do I change it back to it's...