Windows 10: Need help disabling Windows Defender

Discus and support Need help disabling Windows Defender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hey, I'm trying to disable my Windows Defender but it won't let me disable them. This is the menu I'm in: https://i.imgur.com/ERXwW0V.png . Whenever... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by uxfire, Aug 20, 2017.

1. uxfire Win User

Need help disabling Windows Defender

Hey, I'm trying to disable my Windows Defender but it won't let me disable them. This is the menu I'm in: https://i.imgur.com/ERXwW0V.png .

Whenever I click one of the sliders to turn it off, the slider will turn off, and then it will give me a pop up asking me if I want to give it permission to turn it off. Whenever I click yes, the slider goes straight back to on and nothing else shows up.

I have Windows 10 Home, and I have an administrator account, if that matters.

:)

uxfire, Aug 20, 2017
  2. Andre Da Costa, Aug 20, 2017
  3. Andre Da Costa, Aug 20, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Aug 20, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    It really is a bad plan to turn off defender. I am very careful about what I download etc, but even reputable sites get attacked now and then, and I have been "saved" by defender.

If it is a resource issue, there are lightweight alternatives. But tbh defender is less unobtrusive than any of them I find.

cereberus, Aug 20, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    So do I, and mine does let me turn off Defender. I get the same UAC Yes/No confirmation as you, but if I click Yes the slider stays 'off'. However, I also get a Notification from the Action Centre that I'm unprotected which, if you click on it to dismiss it, will turn it straight back on again.

7. bo elam Win User
    Hi uxfire, I turned off Windows defender using Brinks tutorial, via Option 2, Step 3.

Despite WD being turned off, my WD Settings window like the one in the screen you posted, looks like yours, making it appear like WD is still on. Other WD Settings windows look different when WD is off than when its on. What I do to confirm WD is actually turned off is look for MsMpEng.exe in task manager. Thats WD, if you dont see it running, it means WD is off. You can also confirm WD is off by creating a shortcut for WD. When its off, and you click the shortcut, you ll get a Group policy message stating that the program is off. If WD is on and you click the shortcut, WD old user interface opens up.
    Create Windows Defender Antivirus Shortcut in Windows 10 Windows 10 Security System Tutorials

Bo

bo elam, Aug 21, 2017
  8. dustymars Win User

MS certainly make is difficult to turn off Defender using methods described herein for the Creator version. Maybe some additional methods into the secret doors Windows have closed up in the Creator upgrade.

dustymars, Aug 25, 2017
  9. You can disable it completely by disabling its services, not recommended though.

Download "DisableWD" and run it as admin, restart, run it again, then restart again.

TairikuOkami, Aug 25, 2017
  10. dustymars Win User
    Thanks. As an old fashioned guy I'll keep Norton's until "Defender" proves itself. So far over the past 30 + years I have had good results with Norton's.

dustymars, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Need help disabling Windows Defender - Similar Threads - Need help disabling

2. Need help regarding Windows Security and defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help regarding Windows Security and defender: Hi, yesterday I had issues after downloading an old game from Ocean of Games. The steps to install were,1. Install "Avengers AIO."2. Disable Defender with the software they provided.3. Install the setup.After that getting issues like,1. When I open Windows Security, it shows...
  3. Need help regarding Windows Security and defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need help regarding Windows Security and defender: Hi, yesterday I had issues after downloading an old game from Ocean of Games. The steps to install were,1. Install "Avengers AIO."2. Disable Defender with the software they provided.3. Install the setup.After that getting issues like,1. When I open Windows Security, it shows...
  4. Need help regarding Windows Security and defender

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Need help regarding Windows Security and defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Need help regarding Windows Security and defender

7. Need help regarding Windows Security and defender

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Windows Defender Glitch - Need Help

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Glitch - Need Help: Hi, I downloaded a program off the internet, and scanned it with VirusTotal first, finding out that it was a virus, so I deleted it completely including emptying the recycling bin. Although, I found out a few minutes later that Windows Defender detected it before I deleted...
  9. Need Help with disabling Windows Consumer Experience

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need Help with disabling Windows Consumer Experience: Hi everyone, I am trying to disable windows consumer experience for my assignment through a windows 10 pro virtual machine. I followed the steps online exactly by going to the gpedit.msc and going to cloud content and enabling the setting then clicking apply but nothing...
  10. Need help to disable Cortana

Need help to disable Cortana: I've disabled Cortana in the Group Policy, and restarted the PC, but still Cortana remains. When I used to have it disabled, a search icon appeared. Everything is disabled in the Cortana settings menu. Are there some other settings I should be aware of? [img] [img]...