Windows 10: Need help fixing Error code: 0x81000033

Discus and support Need help fixing Error code: 0x81000033 in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Alright, so I want to backup my my whole system (system image) and files so I buy a 3TB drive. Everytime I try to use the Backup and Restore (Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by MINDustry, Sep 3, 2016.

1. MINDustry Win User

Need help fixing Error code: 0x81000033

Alright, so I want to backup my my whole system (system image) and files so I buy a 3TB drive. Everytime I try to use the Backup and Restore (Windows 7) tool I get the above error code mentioned in the opening post.

"The backup did not complete successfully. Check your backup: Windows Backup skipped backing up system image because one or more critical volumes is not having enough free space."

Keep in mind I'm running Windows 10 Pro.

I tried using a different drive to back the system up to, same issue. Microsoft seems absolutley clueless as to how to fix the issue. I have more than enough space to do the backup. I don't know what the issue is.

:)

MINDustry, Sep 3, 2016

2. Error code 0x81000033. Ongoing Issues

Hello. I had the same problem and managed to solve it.

The 0x81000033 error occurs only when a system image is included in the ongoing backup.

System image backup fails when the size of the Recovery Partition is insufficient.

In a UEFI/GPT partition style disk, usually it is the fourth partition with its default size of 450 MB.

UEFI/GPT-based hard drive partitions

You can see it in the Disk Management utility of Windows 10, but it is shown as the third partition because the second MSR partition is hidden.

Windows will show the total size and used space of the Recovery Partition in the “Which drives do you want to include in the backup?” screen displayed while you attempt to create a system image manually from the upper left side of the “Backup and Restore
    (Windows 7)” applet of the Control Panel.

Windows Disk Management utility is useless to see the free space of the Recovery Partition because it is always shown as 100%.

To expand the Recovery Partition, you should shrink the preceding Windows partition.
    This can be done within the Disk Management utility.

Expanding the Recovery Partition cannot be done within the Disk Management
    utility. You should use a third-party utility software such as MiniTool’s Partition Wizard Free Edition.

Shrinking the Windows partition 4670 MB and expanding the Recovery Partition to 5 GB was sufficient to me.

If your PC is a branded product, there may be another Recovery Partition with 10 and several GB.
    It is for recovering to factory state and has initial data for it.
    You would be advised not to touch it.

咲くやこの花, Sep 3, 2016
  3. Error code 0x81000033. Ongoing Issues

Hi

I am sure this has been discussed before ,but the issue is new to me.

I am trying to create a system image onto an external 1TB drive .My operating system is Windows 10 Pro

So after I begin the backup all is well and everything seems to progress as it should - for maybe an hour then I get a warning message

saying "critical volume has not enough space etc more details reveal error code 0x81000033.

So far I have contacted Microsoft support on five occasions trying to resolve the issue.Three of the Microsoft techs have had remote access

to my computer - still getting the same problem. The latest tech has instigated a full re installation of windows 10 - which is now in progress - with the assurance that this will definitely solve the issue - time will tell - I have a nasty suspicion that
    I will be back in contact with Microsoft support.

Anyone else had similar issues,if so did you find a way of sorting it out?

Thanks

Brian

BrianGloverXD, Sep 3, 2016
  4. mrgeek Win User

"Every time I try to use the Backup and Restore (Windows 7) tool I get the above error code"

Need help fixing Error code: 0x81000033 [​IMG]

If you have Windows 10 Pro, the Backup and Restore feature is only to recover a previous backup that you made if you upgraded to 10 from 7. You have to turn on File History to enable file backup in Windows 10 but that does not back up your system files. You need a system image solution like Macrium Reflect or Acronis True Image for that. Or you can follow this tutorial -
    System Image - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

mrgeek, Sep 3, 2016
  5. MINDustry Win User
    Followed the tutorial on the link at the bottom and now I'm getting error 0x80780119

MINDustry, Sep 3, 2016
  6. MINDustry Win User
  7. mrgeek Win User
    If your error message window looks like Figure A, then try it. The issue is not space on your backup drive but in one of the partitions. Attach a screenshot of your Disk Management so someone can see your partitions.

mrgeek, Sep 3, 2016
  8. MINDustry Win User

Here. And yes, the problem is Figure A. What do I do now? Step by step.

Need help fixing Error code: 0x81000033 [​IMG]

MINDustry, Sep 3, 2016
  9. mrgeek Win User
    You have exactly the problem in the repair tutorial that you posted. Your System Reserve partition only has 23mb free space. It needs 50mb or more for System Image to write the shadow volume copy. Follow the 3 steps in the tutorial under The Change Journal problem and you should be good to go. Good Luck

mrgeek, Sep 3, 2016
  10. MINDustry Win User
    Wow, it actually worked.

I'm happy I didn't have to dish out money for some imaging software.

It got past where it failed before, File History is turned on and now it's slowly progressing.

MINDustry, Sep 3, 2016
  11. mrgeek Win User
    Good to hear ! If File History and system image complete successfully, please mark topic as Solved so others with a similar issue can more easily find solution. Have a great day.

mrgeek, Sep 3, 2016
  12. MINDustry Win User
    When It's fully done I'll mark it as solved.

At least I don't have to worry about my PC failing on me and losing all my information now. I guess the system image keeps on updating itself every so often or do you have to update it every time you get a new file?

MINDustry, Sep 3, 2016
  13. MINDustry Win User

The backup finished but not when I try to mount it it says "The disk image isn’t initialized, contains partitions that aren’t recognizable, or contains volumes that haven’t been assigned drive letters. Please use the disk management snap-in to make sure that the disk, partitions, and volumes are in a usable state”.

MINDustry, Sep 4, 2016
  14. MINDustry Win User
    How to initialize VHD image in Windows Miniscule Steps

I think this is the solution. You have to assign the new drives letters. Since none of my hard-drives have failed I don't need to use the system image.

Correct?

All the new drives appear but they don't have letters assigned to them. Should I assign them letters or can I do that when my computer fails and I get it up and running on a new hard drive?

MINDustry, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Need help fixing Error code: 0x81000033 - Similar Threads - Need help fixing

2. i need help fixing this error code

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i need help fixing this error code: I'm having error 0x800f0805 I've been having this for a year now trying to update my computer I'm really just trying to use my pc game pass but I cant because of this problem I need assistance...
  3. i need help fixing this error code

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i need help fixing this error code: I'm having error 0x800f0805 I've been having this for a year now trying to update my computer I'm really just trying to use my pc game pass but I cant because of this problem I need assistance...
  4. i need help fixing this error code

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. I need help fixing error code 0xc000000f

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need help fixing error code 0xc000000f: my sisters laptop stopped working at some point and when its turned on it just says error code 0xc000000f and explains what the error code is.does anyone know a way to fix this by chance? i downloaded an installation media tool for it but it just sat on a loading screen for...
  6. I need help fixing error code 0xc000000f

I need help fixing error code 0xc000000f: my sisters laptop stopped working at some point and when its turned on it just says error code 0xc000000f and explains what the error code is.does anyone know a way to fix this by chance? i downloaded an installation media tool for it but it just sat on a loading screen for...
  7. I need help fixing error code 0xc000000f

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. need help fixing error code 0xc000000f

in Windows 10 Gaming
    need help fixing error code 0xc000000f: my sisters laptop stopped working at some point and when its turned on it just says error code 0xc000000f and explains what the error code is.does anyone know a way to fix this by chance?...
  9. need help fixing error code 0xc000000f

need help fixing error code 0xc000000f: my sisters laptop stopped working at some point and when its turned on it just says error code 0xc000000f and explains what the error code is.does anyone know a way to fix this by chance?...
  10. need help fixing error code 0xc000000f

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 0x81000033 backup error

2. backup error 0x81000033

3. x081000033 error

4. error code 0x81000033 windows 10,
  5. error code Ox81000033,
  6. windows 10 backup failed 0x81000033,
  7. repair 0x81000033,
  8. keep getting error code 0x81000033 when backing up